Author Topic: Waiting for Surgery - Supporting my wife  (Read 17044 times)

Keri

Re: Waiting for Surgery - Supporting my wife
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2009, 07:23:31 am »
Hi Bryan,
Thanks for letting us know. So sorry about this set back. I hope this part passes quickly and she's on her way to recovery and feeling better soon.
Will be praying for you and Pam and your kids. How are they doing in all of this?

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2009, 07:30:30 am »
Bryan,
I am glad to hear that Pam is resting comfortably after the "leak".  You both are in my thoughts and prayers as Pam continues to heal.  If I were Pam I would fire the neurosurgeon!  I wonder what he considers a complete recovery?  Some doctors need to tape record themselves and then really listen to what they have said.  It probably wouldn't change all of them, but the thought that it may some of them is refreshing.
I hope you are taking care of yourself during this ordeal.  Remember you need to be kind to you, too.

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

bsharpintexas

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2009, 09:21:38 am »
Quick update. The doctors are saying they would like to do the drain for 5 days. This means we will not be out of the hospital till Tuesday so we are calling in reinforcements for the weekend. Pam's sister will be coming to help relieve Pam's mom and me by taking some shifts watching the kids and staying with Pam at the hospital.

The CSF leak has seemed to slow so things are looking ok on that end. More later...

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2009, 10:22:18 am »
Bryan .....

Good news that the leak seems to be lessening!  Be sure to take good care of yourself while Pam is being taken care of by the medical professionals.  She will need you to be in good shape when she gets home .......

My prayers continue ......

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

lori67

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2009, 10:50:32 am »
Two steps forward and one step back - seems to be quite common among the AN crowd.

The important thing is that the docs and nurses are on top of things and she's getting good care for whatever comes up.  Lets hope this is the last thing to come up!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2009, 01:30:09 pm »
Bryan ~

Like you, Pam and the others that have posted to this thread, I'm sorry to learn about the CSF leak that has set back your wife's recovery and extended her hospital stay. 

Although cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) leaks only occur - statistically, anyway - in 10-15% of AN surgery patients, they can be problematic when they happen.  Frankly, better this cropped up now, while Pam is still in the hospital, then later, when she might have had to be re-admitted, which can be discouraging once the patient is home and assumes they're recovering on schedule.

I'm pleased to read that the CSF leak is showing signs of slowing and I trust that this speed bump in Pam's recovery will be in her rear-view mirror quite soon.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

moe

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2009, 12:31:47 am »
Bryan and Pam,
Sorry to hear of the setback with the CSF leak, but par for the course with the AN journey.
You never know what to expect. But sounds like things are settling down in that area.
This will make the recovery at some seem like a piece of cake!
 Best wishes for non eventful days and no headaches.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

SharpinWI

« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2009, 05:40:15 am »
This is Bryan's twin brother.

Talk to Pam on the phone last night.  She sounded great.  Sounds like she is doing better.

Thanks for all the support that you have offered to Bryan and Pam.  He has really appreciated it.

Jesse

suboo73

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2009, 06:36:17 am »
Bryan & Pam, 

I am late to this thread (computer issues) - so please accept my belated good wishes for a speedy recovery!   :)
Sorry to hear about the 'bump' in the road with the CSF leak.  Sounds like a wonderful nurse was able to help Pam with that quickly.

My continued thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Jesse - great to have you on-line, too.  You are right, the folks here are WONDERFUL!   ;D

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2009, 06:59:10 am »
Pam and Brian and Jesse (welcome!)... thank you so much for sharing the updates with us.. and sending continued wellness wishes to Pam. I know its been a struggle, now that the CSF leak happened, but sounds like she is on track and wishes for a speedy recovery continue.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2009, 08:00:14 am »
Jesse .....

Welcome and thanks for jumping in with an update on Pam (and Bryan!).  Our prayers continue for an uncomplicated recovery for Pam from hereon ......  keep that brother of yours well and safe!!   :)

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

bsharpintexas

« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2009, 09:15:03 pm »
Hi everyone!

Well it's Saturday night and Pam is continuing to improve. No sign of the CSF leak since the lumbar drain was put in. The doctor's still want to continue the drain till Monday to be sure. They will stop the drain on Monday and monitor her for 24 hours to see if there is any sign of the leak. That's fine with us. We don't want to have to come back to the hospital if we don't have to. Fingers crossed. Still a little nervous about it. If the leak comes back they will have to go back to surgery.

Pam says she has feeling on the left side of her face. Mostly feels like a super heavy dose of Novocain. Her smile is not bad but the left eye does not close all the way right now. We expect some improvement as time goes on.

My sister in law spent some time with Pam today so that I could go home and see the kids. I went home, got cleaned up, played some games with the kids (Legos, baseball, etc). Then went to lunch and took a nap with my son. I brought our 12 year old daughter and 6 year old son to see Pam today. Pam and the kids were all a little nervous but everything was fine once they saw each other. 6 year old mostly played on the hospital bed.  :D

I'll be here tonight but sister in law comes tomorrow morning. I'll spend most of the day with the kids tomorrow (Father's Day) and be back tomorrow night. I am trying to get some rest, Clarice, thanks for watching out for me.  ;)

Till later,
Bryan

Kaybo

« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2009, 08:11:20 am »
Bryan (& Pam)~
So glad that things are going well and that the CSF seems to have slowed down!!  Also glad that you have been able to get so much needed rest and time with the kiddos!  Happy Father's Day!  Are they still looking at Wednesday to go home??

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

bsharpintexas

« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2009, 08:50:25 am »
K,

Thanks! They are looking at Tuesday for checking out. We'll see. Fingers crossed. ;)

Bryan

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2009, 07:15:24 pm »
Bryan -

glad to hear Pam's doing well - despite a few little bumps in the road.

I'll keeping my fingers crossed that she'll be home on Tuesday.

Get some rest,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways