Author Topic: Baha surgery recheck was today.......and umm  (Read 3335 times)

kixit

Baha surgery recheck was today.......and umm
« on: September 14, 2012, 07:15:27 pm »
Hey peeps!

I went for my follow up appt at UVA today for the "failed" Baha surgery. I gave the doctor the disk with the xray on it. He loaded it into the computer.........this huge smile came across his face. It was there!! The titanium screw had not fallen out with the abutment--it IS still in the skull. I think he was happier than I was, lol. Nah--not a chance!

I showed him the abutment with healing cap still attached. He took a closer look under a magnifying glass. He said the abutment looked defective and will get another from Cochlear.

So the plan is to continue to let the titanium screw osiointergrate until the first week in November. At that time the doctor will numb my Baha surgical site, slice an opening and put the new abutment in and then take a short trek downstairs to audiology for--get ready for this- the PROCESSOR!!  ;D 8) ;D

As for the balance and wonky headiness, he said walking outside i s the best thing. I was not to use the treadmill for the legs and eyes don't coordinate well and the brain can't re-learn by using the treadmill.

And the day got even better. I met Jenicol!!  :D We had a good time talking and poking fun at ourselves. She came up with some names I had never thought of--such as Cranies, Numb Skulls (our surgical sites are still numb from AN surgery). We showed each other our "battle scars". It was great to talk to someone face to face that is going though the same thing I am/was.

left side AN 9mm diagnosed 2/2012
SSD, loud tinnitis left ear
Translab 5/24/12
Baha surgery 8/1/2012 at UVA
Baha hook up 11/09/2012  : ) 

I am a happy camper : )

LizAN

Re: Baha surgery recheck was today.......and umm
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 09:31:49 pm »
kixit,

What great news!  I am so happy for you! I can't wait to hear how you like your processor.  I'm in the process of picking a surgeon and a processor brand.

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 03:01:35 pm »
Great news! I am very happy for you!

-tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 09:18:30 am »
Rock on!

James

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 08:37:34 am »
Wow, that's a great turn of events!!  Congrats!  As far as the wonkiness, I don't think that will ever truly go away.  Maybe the folks out there with more postie time can chime in, but I am at almost 3 years and I have my moments of wonkiness still. But more walking you do, the better (besides, its a good form of exercise!)   Anyways, good luck with abutment replace!

Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

lrobie

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 10:01:16 am »
Great news!  It was nice that you got to meet someone in person from this forum.  I met with LizAn when she passed the Magic Scarf to me in Los Angeles prior to my surgery.  It was short and sweet.  Now I have this urge to meet more forum friends, but there isn't a support group in or near my city that I'm aware of.  I've contemplated going the distance as I feel no one more than our forum friends knows what we are experiencing.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

spgreenfield

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 01:12:01 pm »
What wonderful news!  So surprised how an abutment can be faulty!  They certainly don't mass produce these things!  You'd think it would be caught somewhere in inspection....

I've begun taking 2 yoga classes and 1 t'ai chi class a week....I figure I'm worth it.  And it's helped me a LOT!  I now have days where the wonkiness is very slight.  I will make the adventure into New York City to visit my daughter early in October....hoping that having the processor will help with getting my way through 2 airports and such.  My face is still a bit stiff/numb but my skull has finally gotten back much of its sensation!  I can tell you that close to my abutment is FINE as I accidentally got a hair clipped in with my processor and then rotated it....PAINFUL!  So now I have to carefully pull all hair away when I put the processor on!!!!  :O

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12