Author Topic: Two weeks post surgery--luckiest woman in the world  (Read 5147 times)

MWL

Two weeks post surgery--luckiest woman in the world
« on: September 14, 2012, 11:30:35 am »
Hi folks,

I know so many people have challenging recoveries so I thought I would post how things are going for me as a way of offering some encouragement to others.
I had a translab on 30 August at UT Southwestern in Dallas with Dr. Brandon Isaacson as my neurotologist and Dr. Sam Barnett as my neurosurgeon and I am doing amazingly well.   

First, a little background. 

I started having occasional facial numbness and balance issues in 1982.  Yes, that is 30 years ago.  I would have episodes of these events and for years was told I just had some weird virus that was affecting my ear.  About 10 years ago, I was diagnosed with a chronic form of 'Ramsay Hunt' which is kind of like shingles but affects the head and neck as opposed to the way shingles affects the trunk.  Didn't seem to crazy of a diagnoses as I had had chicken pox at age 18 in 1981, just a year before the symptoms started.  Fast forward to February of this year when I had one of my episodes and for the first time the area of numbness kept expanding instead of receding over the next few weeks.  By the time I went to see a doc in late April, I had virtually no feeling in the entire left side of my head and face.  Full function, just no sensation.  Saw the doc who sent me to a neurologist who ordered an MRI and discovered the 2.5cm vestibular schwannoma.  Unlike most folks, I still had full hearing in my left ear up until the surgery.   But I am told my level of facial nerve involvement was much greater than normal so we expected significant facial paralysis at least temporarily after the surgery.  Due to the size of the tumor and the fact that it was now pressing on the brain stem, surgery was needed and Translab was really the only option.  Like most folks in this situation I think, we hoped for the best outcome but did prepare for the worst and assumed that we would have a lot to deal with afterwards.  But I have been incredibly lucky.

After the 24 hours in ICU I was transferred to my room and the physical therapist had me up and walking within an hour or two.  Fortunately for me, I had the tumor long enough that the vestibular nerve was pretty much dead already and my body had already learned to compensate for some of the loss.  So while I was quite dizzy after the surgery, I did not have the terrible vertigo and spinning feeling that so many others did.  I was in the hospital until the 3rd and by the 5th I was able to do laps around the local Mall, not necessarily looking quite normal but getting there over the next few days.  I was walking well enough to be back in heels by the 9th.  I still do my vestibular exercises several times a day and am walking 4+ miles a day in my neighborhood as my physical therapy.  It's not easy and I do have to work on it but I am so much luckier than so many others.

My left eye, which has wept for at least the last 5 years, has not wept once since the surgery.

I have had no CSF leaks and have experienced no facial paralysis to date.  Today was my last does of Prednisone so hopefully we have avoided that challenge. 

I had lost the sensation of taste on my left side prior to the surgery and that has not returned.  I occasionally get a metallic taste on that side of my mouth.  If this remains, something I can certainly deal with.

In the last few days I have begun experiencing more pain on the left side of my face and I consider that a good thing.  During the time from Feb to May, I had great pain in my face that slowly went away as everything became numb.  So I see the pain as a sign that my face may be "waking up" as it seems I am getting sensation back.  A few days after returning home from the hospital I was putting on make up and could feel the area below my left eye as I put on eyeliner.  I had not had sensation there for months.  So while the pain is there, I see it as something very positive.  I am still currently taking Neurontin/gabapentin for the facial pain and would be reluctant to discontinue that med right now.  My neck is still quite sore but I have been off the muscle relaxants and Tylenol 3 for 6 days.  I'm still taking over the counter pain meds right now but do not really need anything stronger. 

My biggest challenges are dealing with the hearing loss and the fatigue.  I attended two days of a conference this week and definitely over-did.  Balance was great the first day but by the second, I was walking more like I did a week ago.  I simply was exhausted and it was no one's fault but my own.  I'm going to have to accept the fact that I simply need more rest for a while and that no matter what I think, I am not ready to jump back in to a full on normal schedule and will not be ready for that for probably months.  I have a part time job and my husband's position requires that I am very involved in our community but I have tremendous support and am lucky enough to be able to take the time I need. 

I'm finding the hearing loss more disorienting than I thought, especially in crowds.  It seems as if all sound is of an equal volume and I have to work to distinguish one sound from another.  I hear my own voice echoing in my head when I speak which I find very disconcerting.  And the whooshing sound on the bad side is constant.  Started out at a freight train level but now down to about an industrial fan.  I don't know if that gets better or not but am really hoping it does.  I know any white noise like bathroom ceiling fans or household AC units running seems extremely loud and kind of overshadows other sounds,  And...I am a musician.  I have played flute for about 35 years and have yet to pick it up since the surgery.  I know now that I will probably not have problems with my embouchure as my face seems to be less affected than expected.  But I am a little  concerned about the sound...if I hear my voice so loudly in my head when I speak, how will it sound when I play?  Right now I am still dealing with the sensory overload that can come from just walking around and trying to balance, or being in a crowd of people and trying to distinguish one person's words.  So I don't know that I am ready to tackle the sensory overload that may come with attempting to play.  Might just be a bridge too far for me right now.  I was lucky enough to still have full hearing right up to the surgery--although the docs couldn't figure out how :) -so I am just going to be grateful for that and allow myself some time to get used to the hearing loss.  I do hope to have a BAHA put in in a few months so fingers crossed for that.

Anyway, I just wanted to take some time to say that for me the surgery went extremely well and recovery to date has been much less difficult than it could have been.  Don't get me wrong...it's not easy.  But, compared to the stories of others I know I am so very lucky.  I have been a klutz who bumped into walls and fell down stairs for many years and am looking forward to getting past all that.  I had wonderful surgeons and great care at UT Southwestern and could not recommend them more highly.  I hope that others with upcoming surgeries also experience a rapid and relatively side effect free recovery.

Take care,

Meg
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 11:40:24 am by Jim Scott »

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Two weeks post surgery--luckiest woman in the world
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 11:48:42 am »
Hi, Meg ~

Thanks for that informative account of your AN experience; from symptoms to diagnosis to surgery to recovery.  The comprehensive description of all the steps you've gone through is highly useful to newly diagnosed AN patients and certainly of interest to others who may have similar issues or experiences in their recovery.  Congratulations on your good recovery!

I took the liberty of doing a bit of judicious editing/formatting to make your post a bit easier to read.  (All of your words were left intact).

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MWL

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 12:20:06 pm »
Hi Jim,
    Thanks for your help!

Meg

New girl

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 01:38:28 pm »
Congrats Meg on a successful surgery!  Thanks for posting your experience it is very helpful to others trying to make treatment decisions.  Let us know how the flute playing goes when you are ready.  Best wishes!   :)
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

It is what it is

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 02:45:30 pm »
Thanks for sharing your experience.  Glad everything went well.

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 06:06:18 pm »
Meg
I'm glad to hear your doing relatively well. That is wonderful news. This will help those who are facing surgery have a little relief. Keep moving forward.

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

LizAN

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 09:55:27 pm »
Meg,

Great news!

I'm especially happy to hear that your embouchure is intact!  Maybe you could pick up your flute and play for only a minute or two, softly, as a way to break back in without overwhelming yourself?

Let me know what you find out about getting a BAHA in Dallas.  I'm in Austin and just had translab surgery at House on July 3rd.  I've got a couple of names of surgeons here and hope to make appointments next week.

Good luck with your recovery.  It sounds remarkable so far.

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

JillD4

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 12:26:37 pm »
I have all the same symptoms as MEG. I was diagnosed in June 2015 with a 2.1 AN.  I am under the care of Dr. Kutz/Dr. Barnett at UTSW. I have been watch and wait since then. Night before last, I had a strange symptom. I was reading and suddenly heard a LOUD exacerbation of sound as I was very relaxed, tired, and about to fall asleep. The sound came from the refrigerator compressor shutting off, a split second of vision loss, then a jolt like when one is sleeping and feeling of falling.  I notice certain sounds affect me more. I would call it hyperacousis. Sometimes sounds make me jump or startle. Being that the eye, ear, and brain are all intertwined with the AN, my gut feeling is that this is the reason I am so sensitive. It was strange. I am thinking this is due to the AN on the nerve affecting my sound perception and relating it to the brain. Dr. Kutz has not heard of this with an AN.  He ordered an MRI since I am due for my repeat MRI in a few months.  I am waiting on insurance approval which takes a few days. This only happened one time. Has anyone experienced something like this? Just curious. Also, I am very happy and relieved hearing Meg's experience with UTSW. Thanks!
Diagnosed June 2015 2.1 AN
Watch and wait until 1/2017