Author Topic: Palsy Recovery  (Read 2181 times)

LADavid

Palsy Recovery
« on: March 24, 2008, 04:42:55 pm »
Hey all
Question for the week.  This is for those of you who have had facial palsy and recovered to some if not all degree.

Two weeks ago the twitches started.  Last week I started to notice some movement in my cheek and upper lip.  The good things.  But what has me concerned is that when I wake up in the morning, my palsy side of my face seems to be contorted into a forced position -- I have to relax it to get the tenseness out.  And at the same time as movement is coming back, I've noticed a pulling on the opposite side of my face.  Sort of like I'm not sure that's the way my expression should be.

Is this normal?  Or should I wildly panic?

And, K, Debbie, Hope and Cheryl.  I gotcha all down on my calendar.  It's going to be a great month with a lot of great success!  And K, when is your last day at home this week?

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: Palsy Recovery
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 07:18:06 am »
David,
  It sounds like your brain is trying out its new connections.  I hope that leads to more facial mobility.  I've read where they don't recommend facial retraining exercises until things have recovered about as far as they will go, so that you don't "learn" facial control (which is partially unconscious) that you might have to unlearn later.  Obviously I'm no expert in this field.   If I were in your profession- no one's going to pay to see my ugly mug  ;) -, where facial expression is very important, I'd be involved with a facial retraining expert as you go along to make sure things go as smoothly as possible.
  Here's to your continuing facial recovery.
Regards,
  Rob
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 09:37:00 am by HeadCase2 »
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Kaybo

Re: Palsy Recovery
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 07:46:05 am »
David~
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you -- it has been a bit crazy around here!!  We leave 1st thing Thursday morning so I guess Wednesday is my last day here.  You should see my house -- CLEAN clothes everywhere!  I wish I was a Jeanie and could bling (my good eye) & it'd all be put up!!   ;D  My mom is staying here w/ the girlies, but said it would be helpful if I got their outfits put together for each day...that is going to take a bit of time for 9 days!!  I just got a call from my PCP and they seem to have gotten the EKG machine fixed so I have to go back there & get that done!  Good thing  this is not a big town!!
Sounds like good things are happening with your face!!!  YEA!  Any news on the eye surgery???  Keep me posted!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!