Author Topic: Inherited AN's - - any conclusive evidence about unilateral AN's????  (Read 2127 times)

Denisex2boys

The post about the gentleman's son 'only' having an ear infection got me to thinking .............

Is there any evidence that unilateral AN's are not a inherited trait ..... my mom told me that my grandmother bent over years ago to pick something up and when she stood up straight her hearing was gone in one ear ...... that was a long time ago and they would not have been able to diagnose an AN ...... but she was profoundly deaf in one ear for the rest of her life.

I was also an ear infection sufferer as a child - many, many ear infections .... as well as sinus problems (which I had surgery for in 2000) - my sons seem to get ear infections as well - the older one much more - he even suffers the severe nose bleeds I did as a child.

Just wondering if anyone else here suffered ENT problems as children????
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

Kaybo

Re: Inherited AN's - - any conclusive evidence about unilateral AN's????
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 11:05:23 am »
I had my 1st "ear infection" in COLLEGE and really, by then, my tumor had be growing pretty good -- so who really knows if it were truly just an ear infection or related to the AN?
Don't you think kids get a LOT more ear infections now than they used to?
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

tony

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 12:48:18 pm »
The AN is strange in-as-much that whole segments
of the population can have them - but are never diagnosed
Surveys in Sweden (?) found 5% of the recently departed had one
...majority never really knew they did ?
Anyhow offically no generic link - but as this thread may prove
there are strange "clusters" that suggest there is a bit more to
it than first appears
Best Regards
Tony

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 04:50:14 pm »
Hi, Denise:

As the quest to determine what causes AN's rightfully goes on, I subscribe to the theory and the possibility of genetics being involved, even though no one in my family had one, to my knowledge. 

I never had an ear problem my entire life so I can't see any connection there, just coincidence.  When we play 'AN detective' the temptation to blame anything connected to the ear is understandable.  You'll probably see cell phones, power lines, living near an airport and loud music being blamed for AN's.  I seriously doubt any of these are the real culprits as acoustic neuroma tumors were known over one hundred years ago, long before any of the things often blamed for causing them were invented. Notice too that these suspected 'causes' are uniformly hearing-related.  I submit that just because the AN grows out of the hearing nerve sheath doesn't automatically make hearing issues the reason for their growth, as if noise somehow stimulates them.  Of course, I could be wrong.   :)

Still, there is no harm in speculation, as long as we realize that we may never know the actual cause of AN's and that always assuming they are going to have something to do with hearing may be a mistake.  That said, let the speculation go on!  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.