Author Topic: Hereditary?  (Read 2049 times)

petgroomer

• Love to live... Live to love...
    • Vagal Schwannoma
Hereditary?
« on: March 16, 2010, 10:21:15 pm »
With schwannoma tumours, I am reading mixed reviews regarding it being hereditary.  Some places I read that the children of affected parents should be tested once they reach their late teens.  Is any part of that true?  Is it only true of certain schwannomas?  I have a vagal schwannoma.  Should I have any concerns for my 3 teen boys?  Have any of you had the same concerns or have heard the same things?
Thanks, Rhonda
JULY 2009 found 5.6 cm X 4 cm vagal schwan on the 10th cranial nerve and by MAY 2010 it grew to 7.1 cm X 4 cm X 4.1 cm  Nov 2010 it has grown another 10%... time for C.K.! :)
I love life but I'm finding it harder to do .. one millimetre at a time.
www.vagalschwannoma.com 
www.allinonepetcare.co

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
Re: Hereditary?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 12:11:49 am »
My understanding is that there is no pass downs for AN's. Not sure if stats have been recorded long enough to identify this. remember, MRI's have only been around for about 25 off years. We'd really have to wait another 20 or so to get any firm analysis.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Tumbleweed

Re: Hereditary?
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 12:58:37 am »
What I've read and heard is that ANs and schwannomas in general are not hereditary. That said, my eyebrows raise when I hear the rare stories on this forum of siblings with ANs. I can't remember who posted about this, unfortunately. Also can't remember if it was NF2 or just one AN per person. But at least one AN-er on this forum mentioned they also had a sibling with an AN. Maybe that was coincidence, but the odds are against coincidence with ANs. But then again, I've got two schwannomas and the one in my hypoglossal canal is 100 times more rare than an AN. What are the chance of that??!!  :o S**t happens.

Best,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08