Author Topic: Trying to find peace...  (Read 16227 times)

sarahinPA

Trying to find peace...
« on: July 28, 2011, 06:24:22 am »
Tomorrow is my surgery, trans-lab with dr Paul Gardner at upmc in Pittsburgh.

On Monday, I met with a girl I met on here 2 years ago, she is the same age as mr and had 3 surgeries from dr Gardner.  We had dinner and discussed so many things that helped me stay calm this week.

I met with dr Gardner on Tuesday and he told me "find peace with this and let us do the work"  these words were very supportive to me and this is what I am trying to do.

I feel ok about the surgery, it will be what it will be and all I can do now is find the peace. I am worried about the deafness, and wonder how this will effect ne, I'm trying to take in every sound today because tomorrow I won't be able too.

Please keep me in ur thoughts and prayers for surgery tomorrow and a healthy recovery.
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.

Kaybo

Re: Trying to find peace...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 06:29:27 am »
Sarah~
What great words form your Dr.  I know that you will do great.  I have been SSD for 15 years now - it hasn't been too bad - I can still her my girls scream, the dogs bark and my hubs tell me he loves me - what more can a girl ask for?  I know that you will do great...I'm praying for a good outcome, but more for you to have a PEACEFUL heart in the coming hours, days and weeks.  I will be out of touch for a while but you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Silver Sonnet

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 06:37:03 am »
((((((sarahinPA))))))

Your doctor sounds like a wise and caring man.  Some of the best advice I got (well, I think I found it on the internet in one of those "how to" articles) was to spend time every day visualizing the surgery going perfectly.  I visualized the doctors doing their jobs with skill and my body responding exactly as it should.  Strangely, it worked for me even though I don't really know what a surgery like that would look like. 

Please don't worry too much now about the deafness: you'll still have hearing on one side, and while it is an adjustment, you will still have hearing in one ear.  The important thing now is that your doctors get rid of that tumor and that you get well and get on with your life.

You'll be in my prayers.

Desilu

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 06:57:19 am »
Hi Sarah,

Once you have made the decision to have surgery and picked your doctor, the rest is up to him (your doctor) and God. Keep the faith that he (God) will watch over you and guide your doctors hands to a successful surgery and out come. I'm sure the thought of SSD is weighing heavy on your mind, but when God closes a door, he always opens a window. You will get through this and manage to cope with your new situation. Hang in there and know that we are here for you. Along with all the others, I will keep you in prayer also. Sincerely, Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 07:57:40 am »
Hi Sarah .....

I sure will be thinking about you and praying for you tomorrow.  It is an unsettling time, for sure, but the more at peace you are the better everything will go.  The doctor knows his job so you can leave that part up to him.

As for not hearing.  You may not notice any huge difference when you wake up because you will have a large bandage over your AN ear and surgical site.  Things will sound differently to you anyway.  I do not like being SSD (so looking forward to my Ponto hookup next week!) but for ordinary around home sounds, it is not hugely different.

Many thoughts and prayers!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 10:43:39 am »
Sarah,

Tomorrow all you will want to do is rest, rest, rest. It will be OK. You will be OK.
I will keep you in my prayers.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

moe

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 11:09:06 am »
Good advice from all, and praying for a successful surgery with peacefulness too. Sounds like a very wise and competent doctor :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 01:25:27 pm »
Sarah ~

When I entered the hospital for my AN surgery I did so with total confidence in my doctors and the additional comfort of knowing that many people were praying for me, including my church's leaders who visited me an hour before my operation.  Frankly, I was so confident going into surgery that had I awakened from the operation with facial paralysis or any other complication, it would have been a bit of a shock.  As it was, the surgery went perfectly, no complications ensued and I was back home within 5 days and on my way to an excellent recovery.  On hindsight, I had found peace with the surgery and trusted my doctors to do their job.  During my first post-surgery doctor visit, I was showering my neurosurgeon with compliments for his fine work when he held up his hand to stop me and replied, with a smile: "God gave the success, I just held the scalpel".   I thought it prudent not to argue.  Time passes, the doctor is now semi-retired, I'm doing fine-  and I remain thankful to this very day and glad that, intuitively, I had found peace with the surgery and let God take over.  I wish you a similar peace - and a great outcome.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sarahinPA

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 01:46:01 pm »
thank you to everyone!

My family should all be here soon to spend the evening with me, and try to relax. I know there are so many people praying for me and I do feel a sense of calmness and peace withing, which I know is coming from all of the support and prayers that are being offred.

Thank you all again for all of the supprt and encouraging words, I will post again when I am able to keep everyone updated on my recovery.
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.

Phillies

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 02:00:43 pm »
Good luck! It'll work out ok. I was in your spot just two weeks ago :)

Chances3

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 02:24:57 pm »
Dear Sarah,

I have you in my thoughts and prayers, stay strong my dear !!

God Bless.

Mei Mei

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 03:47:00 pm »
I'm here praying for you.   The doctor on your team is so comforting and you have certainly found a good person.   Keep in mind the peace and all will be well for you.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

mk

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 05:40:59 pm »
Good luck Sarah, everything will be OK.

We will be thinking about you and waiting for your news once you feel up to it.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 06:22:27 pm »
Best of luck, soon you will be a postie and that feels real good.  Will be thinking about you and sending you strength and good wishes.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

JAndrews

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 07:12:27 pm »
Best wishes to you and prayers being sent your way:). The SSD does take getting used too. Things may sound different to you for a little while. Be patient and kind to yourself. Give yourself plenty of time to recover, take things slow, don't get discouraged. You are going to be ok, this will be behind you. It did take me a while to overcome the whole brain tumor thing.....but I am there..I have moved on...I don't think about it constantly anymore. It took about a year until I really felt like myself again. Now I feel like I could swim with sharks, bungee jump, skydive....:) just kidding..still scared of all those things.
Have everyone talk on your good hearing side, it will be less frustrating.
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.