Author Topic: Intubation??  (Read 16388 times)

HeidiC

Intubation??
« on: September 21, 2011, 06:24:51 pm »
I had my Pre Op appts today and one of the many people I saw said that I can expect to still be intubated when I wake up and that I will stay intubated probably for the night. :o

I hadn't expected to be awake and still intubated and this concerns me almost as much as the surgery itself.  This nurse practitioner did seem a little less than knowledgeable and could not answer several of my questions, so I am wondering if she is wrong about this. 

I was wondering if anyone else remained intubated after the surgery, assuming there were no complications.

I am thinking of emailing the dr and asking, but it was a long hard day and I think I will wait on that till I have some rest and can formulate the email clearly.

~Heidi
Diagnosed 6-24-11 left side AN 3mm x 3mm
33 years old at time of diagnosis
Mid Fossia surgery 10-06-2011
with Drs Adunka and Ewend at UNC.

JAndrews

Re: Intubation??
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 07:04:31 pm »
with any major surgery most of the time patients are intubated. Don't worry about it. You will be medicated and won't remember any of it. Most likely the tube will be removed before you leave the OR. They usually arouse you, make sure you have been able to wake up, remove the tube...then you will sleep for many hours. You may have a sore throat for a few days..due to the tube. Intubation is used as a "just in case" during surgery.
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 07:20:30 pm »
Heidi,

I hesitate to respond, so keep in mind that I am a "worst case" case. My surgery was on the long side at 32 hours and I wound up being intubated for six days. THIS IS VERY VERY UNUSUAL. I had some long term affects, but at 19 months post-op, things are pretty good, and these affects had probably more to do with the location of the tumor and the nerve trauma from the surgery. When I was conscious while intubated, it wasn't so bad. There are much worse things.

I am confident your experience will be more typical.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 08:53:01 pm »
Heidi .....

This seems to vary a great deal from case to case, doctor to doctor.  It is pretty standard to have a breathing tube when under general anesthetic, but usually it is removed before you are fully awake/aware.

During my first AN surgery (in 2008), I had a nasogastric tube, as well.  This was kept in for a period of time after I was awake ...... until I was so frustrated by it and it was not helping me so they removed it.  During my second AN surgery (this past May), I have no remembrance of any intubation.

I would contact the doctor to see if this is routine and if so, why.

Clarice
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 07:06:41 am by CHD63 »
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 09:47:45 pm »
Intubation is a necessity of surgeries.  As Clarice said, generally the tube is removed when you are in recovery, before you are fully awake. 

However, you can expect to have other "accessories" stay with you for a time after you are fully awake and in your hospital room - IV and catheter are the two that come to mind. 

Note that you should ask your doc to place your catheter after you are "put under" in the OR; not while you are still awake.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

HeidiC

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 06:04:45 am »
I figured that I would be intubated during the surgery.  I just thought that it would be removed soon after I wake up and that I would not remember it.  I think that since I have done a lot of research and didn't really expect to remain intubated unless there were complications, I think that is why it was such a shock.

~Heidi

Cheryl R

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 09:32:57 am »
I see no reason that you would be intubated that long unless complications.      I have had 4 surgeries due to my NF2 and never was awake with one.       She did have the right surgery for you I hope.
                                                 Cheryl R 
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 01:42:15 pm »
I had my Pre Op appts today and one of the many people I saw said that I can expect to still be intubated when I wake up and that I will stay intubated probably for the night. :o

I hadn't expected to be awake and still intubated and this concerns me almost as much as the surgery itself.  This nurse practitioner did seem a little less than knowledgeable and could not answer several of my questions, so I am wondering if she is wrong about this. 

I was wondering if anyone else remained intubated after the surgery, assuming there were no complications.

I am thinking of emailing the dr and asking, but it was a long hard day and I think I will wait on that till I have some rest and can formulate the email clearly.

Heidi ~

I strongly suggest that you contact your doctor (as planned) and clarify the intubation protocol as it will apply to you.  As others have stated and as you expect, the tube will likely be removed in the recovery room.  However, considering what the PA said to you about this, I would want to have it clarified by the doctor in charge.  Please let us know the doctors response.  Thanks. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Cindyswart

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 10:26:21 am »
I am just 4 weeks post op and i had the same concerns learning that I would wake with that tube. It was in my nose, down my throat. It is uncomfortable however necessary to maintain pressure in your head immediately after surgery. I had mine in ICU immediately after surgery, mostly when i was asleep. I woke up a few times, but honestly I went right back to sleep and in the morning she came in a removed it. It is a little uncomfortable but very necessary. With all that will be going on, that is minor. You will have much more to concentrate on and be thankful for!! :)
Diagnosed 4/19/11 An 1.5x1.9x2.0
Surgery 8/23/11, Dr Fukushima.
Total tumor removed. SSD.
Second surgery 11/11/11 for abscess

I'm gona work like I don't need the money
I'm gona laugh like I'm not afraid to cry
I'm gona dance like nobody's watchin'
I'm gona love while I still have the time!

wwarr

• Attitude is everything =)
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 08:33:34 am »
Heidi,

I would call your Doctor and verify with him.  The best way to face any fear is to tackle it head on!  Every situtation is different and your Surgeon will be able to clarify to you what his protocol is.  Please don't worry!!  I know it's a hard time right now but before you know it, you'll wake up from surgery and you'll be in the recovery stage.  It will be a relief because it will be behind you! 

Personally, I never remembered waking up with a tube.  You are pretty sedated and sleep a lot in ICU.  Again, talk to your Doctor and he will let you know pertaining to your case.   ;)
4 mm x 8 mm 12/08
1.4 cm rt. AN middle fossa on 7/23/10
hearing and facial nerve preserved. Grateful for brilliant surgeons Dr. Friedman/ Dr. Schwartz @ HEI in LA, CA.

post op chronic headaches
”Faith in every footstep...let go and let God”

HeidiC

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 10:25:04 am »
Thanks for all the replies and ideas.  I emailed the Dr yesterday morning and his reply came very quickly that same morning.  His reply was...

"typically, we extubate patients in the OR and you would not be intubated on the patient floor. On much larger tumors, we have left patients intubated until the next morning but I think this is a very remote possibility."

This is how I was thinking and hoping it would be so this is a relief.  I thought the NP might be wrong since she couldn't answer many of my questions.  I should have trusted my instincts!

~Heidi

Jeff

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 12:39:52 pm »
Hello,
I had intended to reply sooner, but I have been quite busy. Your doctor's response mirrors my experiences (5 surgeries in 2 venues). I had a very large tumor removed, after which I was intubated 24 hours post surgery. I have only been intubated while awake twice, both times due to large tumor and complications. I wish you well with your surgery and recovery.
Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08