Author Topic: Do i need ANOTHER MRI so soon (pre-surgery)?  (Read 5307 times)

calimama

Do i need ANOTHER MRI so soon (pre-surgery)?
« on: May 13, 2008, 08:28:53 am »
HI all,

Just wondering if this makes sense...

I had original MRI in January 2008 which determined AN.
I had a follow up MRI on April 20 (ordered by a rad-doc who wanted to see if it was growing).
I was all set for surgery yesterday, but got bumped just last week to June 2. My surgeon's secretary called me and said that i need to have another MRI (booked now for this friday May 16).

Does it make sense that i need another MRI less than 4 weeks after my last? As of last Monday, i was all set for surgery just 7 days later (then i got rescheduled) and at that point there was no word of needing another MRI. I wonder if there some time period within which you need an MRI before surgery and now that i have been pushed out 3 weeks my earlier April 20 MRI is invalid????

We all know these are slow growers (generally) and given that I have had 2 in the last few months with the second one showing no growth, i found it odd.

Or do they do some kind of different/special MRI before surgery to plan? (IF so, then i wonder why i was only a week out, pre-ad done, and there no mention of needing to hurry up and get this special one).

Can different doctors ask for different info from an MRI scanner?

Thoughts????

Thanks
Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

er

Re: Do i need ANOTHER MRI so soon (pre-surgery)?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 08:41:29 am »
Hello calimana,

I sorry to hear your problem, I sure hope that the reason is that some one has made a mistake and no AN,
I was told they grow 2 mm a year. It isn't right for them to play with your emotions there needs to be some explaination besides the MRI are expansive.
Good luck and I hope it is good news.
eve

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 08:42:55 am »
The question has come up before, at least for radiation treatment, and the answer seems to be that it varies by the clinic or doctor giving treatment. Some rely on an MRI from several months earlier; others want one within a week or two of treatment.

I doubt there is much change in most of  them, but I think these places just get into a certain pattern that works for them, and then they don't want to vary from it, however logical or not it may be.

Be a good little sheep and play along with them.  :D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

lori67

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 08:59:01 am »
I've never heard of doing so many MRI's in such a short period of time.  I can understand if you're having radiation, because the doctors will want to know exactly where to aim, but for surgery, the "entry point" ( for lack of a better term) is going to be the same, depending on the approach, translab vs. retrosigmoid, etc.  So, while it's important for them to know where the tumor is, I don't think it would have changed locations so much in the course of a month that they wouldn't see it once they're in there.

Seems strange to me.  I would ask the doctor about it.  We all know there is the occasional breakdown in communications between the doctor, the scheduler, the hospital and the patient.  It could very well be his way of doing things, but I'd check if I were you.  No sense having tests done that you don't need.  I'm sure he'll be able to explain his rationale.

And then, if he does, then you can start "baa-ing" like a good little sheep!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 10:22:33 am »
I'd check with the doctor, because miscommunications do happen, but it's his call.  If he feels you need another one and he has a reasonable explanation of why you need it, IMO you should have it.  Maybe he just wants to be sure of what he's "dealing with".

Remember that even though ANs typically grow slowly, sometimes they do grow fast.

I had my diagnostic MRI mid-April last year and my AN was 1.5 cm.  I had surgery on 5/31/07 - basically six weeks later - and during the surgery the docs discovered that my AN had almost doubled.  It was quite a surprise to all of us  :o

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 11:42:23 am »
Jan, you over-achiever, you!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 03:02:25 pm »
Hi, Trish:

Let me add to the general conclusion that answers your question regarding MRI scans, pre-op.  It's basically the doctor's call. 

My neurosurgeon is very conservative and cautious, which is fine with me.  I had my original MRI scan in mid-May, 2006 and my surgeon ordered a 'fresh' MRI scan just a few weeks later, immediately prior to my surgery.  He ordered another MRI following the surgery (to check his work, as he put it).  I've had 5 more MRI scans since then, some connected to my follow-up FSR treatments.  Fortunately, the MRI's have shown tumor shrinkage and the beginnings of necrosis so I'm good with this.  Besides, I'll be going to annual MRI scans after my next one, scheduled for June.   

Again, if the surgeon wants you to have an MRI, it's going to happen.  It really isn't a bad idea.  As Steve suggests, just play along.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

calimama

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 09:32:17 am »
Thanks guys...
So i had MRI #3 this morning. When the technician asked me if i had had one before, i said, "no, TWO!" and that the last one was just a few weeks earlier and that i wasn't sure why i needed another (i really thought it might be a mistake and that there was a communication problem). But then i was told that the MRI i was getting today was much more accurate and precise as the previous one (i also had this one at a different hospital, the one i will having surgery at this time!). In fact double the clarity and accuracy (so i REALLY needed to be still). It was fine, i dont mind the MRIs. Still no metal flew out of my body thankfully  ;)
So i don't know if this process is normal, routine or what, but i am happy for them to have the best info possible so on went the robe and into the tube i went!

I hope i am still on for June 2. I ready to get past this part of my journey!

Thanks guys for sharing and caring.  ;D
Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 10:11:50 am »
Trish,

I sure hope your June 2 surgery date is a keeper this time. I was also bumped to a later date. My original date was May 19, now it's June 16. I, like you, am so ready to get beyond this and begin the recovery.

Good luck fellow neuromite

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

lori67

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 10:24:35 am »
Trish,

Glad it went well.  Many times, the doctors want the tests done at the same hospital they plan on operating in.  I guess there can be subtle differences in different MRI machines and they like to have some consistency - which I certainly can't argue with.  As long as it's not an invasive procedure, then I think I'd rather have the doctor be extra careful.

And if you wear sweats with no metal do-hickeys and a sports bra - you don't usually have to wear the lovely robes they provide!  I am much more comfortable in my own clothes while stuffed into a tunnel to be observed by strangers!   :D

Lori

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 10:37:04 am »
Trish -

sounds like there were good reasons for your doc to want another MRI.  You are now one step closer to your surgery, which even though it can make you nervous, can also make you a little calmer. 

My last MRI was done about 1 month ago - my first one post op - and I didn't have to wear a robe or anything without "metal do-hickeys".  I don't know if was because my head already has so much titanium in it or what, but I didn't even have to take my shoes off  :) 

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 08:21:38 pm »
Trish:

I would that since they needed the extra MRI and you have had it, now they can't change the date. So it's a good thing!

Fellow neuromite Syl:

I think maybe you are getting a little antsy. :)  Perfectly understandable, it hardly seems like the time to have to hurry up and wait. Consider is as practice for being patient.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

calimama

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 07:49:02 am »
Thanks guys...

Apparently the latest MRI was "3 tesla" (something like that) whereas the earlier 2 MRIs were only "1.5 tesla". I trust that the improved images will provide better clarity with respect to nerves and tumor margins. Gotta look on the bright side, eh?! 

12 days and counting....

Trish

lori67

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 10:08:44 am »
Well, like I always say, the more tesla's the better.

Wait, I don't think I've ever said that...but I will now.   :D

Lori

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 03:14:04 pm »
Trish:

'3 Tesla' is a definition of an MRI's power.  3 Tesla is the latest in MRI technology and, for doctors, provides a sharper, deeper look at the brain.  It's a good thing.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.