Author Topic: not the 'typical' AN  (Read 2395 times)

nyartist

• New York Artist
    • My Paintings
not the 'typical' AN
« on: April 22, 2008, 09:19:02 am »
I've posted this in several forums...
My girlfriend was diagnosed with an AN back in January of this year - 1 centimeter, hearing loss, facial weakness on one side, balance problems. The most recent MRI of two weeks ago has shown growth to about 1.2 cm - which is pretty darn fast for a 'typical' neuroma. She is also a breast cancer survivor (18 years ago) and has been told by the best surgeons here in NYC and in the House clinic that the chances for cancer to reappear in the ear canal after 18 years is VERY remote. Still, they are saying that this is not acting the way they would expect a neuroma to act. That brings up other possibilities: viral infection being one of them

She's had  PET scan which was normal and had a spinal tap last week. First results of the tap were also normal but more results are forthcoming. Anyway, because of the growth in the tumor the docs have recommended translab surgery at NYU so she's scheduled there in two weeks. My question is: has anyone else out there ever been told that their mass is not acting like the typical AN?

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
Re: not the 'typical' AN
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 03:58:41 pm »
Sorry, I can't help but I am cheering your girlfriend on!

Take care,

Mary

I like your painting...
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: not the 'typical' AN
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 08:54:27 pm »
Hi NY, sorry I missed this. I'm a little confused by the question of a "normal" AN?  As we know, each individual situation is different and each AN presents itself (or not, as for many such as myself) in different ways.

Please know that AN's are benign tumors, due to overproduction of schwann cells, so no malignancy involved. As I am not a dr, I cannot tell what is going on... we've seen some AN's grow slowly (typically, on average, a few mm/yr), but some can grow faster.  Each individual's reacts differently.

I'm sending wellness wishes and I know she's in great hands at NYU.  Please keep us updated on her progress and know I'm sending wishes along for wellness.

Please hang tough.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"