Author Topic: neurotin?  (Read 7058 times)

Battyp

neurotin?
« on: June 19, 2006, 04:43:00 pm »
ok, what's the skinny on this drug?  My ENT brought it up today for my throat problem but then said maybe in another 4 mos if nothing gets better.  Got a new term today..too bad I can't remember it  lol

Raydean

Re: neurotin?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 05:57:37 pm »
Neurotin is the brand name that it's marketed under, but do a search on GABAPENTIN   I'm sure that Papa Pearl can fill you in on this drug.  Here a quick article on this drug.  Ido remember lawsuits due to this drug increasing the risks of suicide and or being blame for a person to become violent.  Weight gain seems to be another side issue.
Hope this helps
Raydean

Neurotin Information
As detailed on our homepage, Neurontin can be purchased online and is primarly prescribed and purchased for treatment of: (a) partial seizures (seizures that begin in a limited area of the brain) and (b) pain which results from herpes or shingles. Before you buy Neurontin, whether from your local pharmacy or here online, the additional information below about this medication should be useful to you.

Important Neurontin Fact
Patients should always take Neurontin exactly as directed by their doctor. When purchased and used to control seizures, to do this effectively it is important that the patient take Neurontin three times a day, approximately every 8 hours (or as directed by a Doctor or Pharmacist). Typically, a patient should never go longer than twelve (12) hours without a dose of their Neurotin medication.

Tips For Taking Neurontin
Never increase or decrease the dosage of your Neurotin medication without your doctor's approval. A patient should never stop taking it suddenly, as this may cause an increase in the frequency of their seizures. Also, if taking an antacid such as Maalox, take Neurontin at least 2 hours after having taken the antacid. It is safe to take Neurontin with or without food.

Neurontin Dosage & Storage
As detailed above, try not to allow more than 12 hours to pass between Neurotin your Neurontin dosage. Never double up on doses. For storage, keep the Neurotin capsules and tablets at room temperature and keep the oral solution refrigerated.

Side effects from using Neurontin or any other drug for that matter can never be anticipated. If any (see list below) develop or change in intensity, inform your doctor as soon as possible. Only a doctor can properly determine if it is safe for an individual to continue taking Neurontin once their are side effects.

Possible Neurontin Side Effects When Taken For Seizures
Blurred, dimmed, or double vision, dizziness, drowsiness, fatigue, involuntary eye movement, itchy, runny nose, lack of muscular coordination, nausea, tremor, vomiting. Side effects that may be more common in children - bronchitis, fever, viral infection and weight increase.

Possible Neurontin Side Effects When Taken For Nerve Pain / Herpes
General weakness, nausea, swelling in arms and legs, lack of muscular coordination, accidental injury, diarrhea, dizziness, constipation, drowsiness, dry mouth, headache, infection, vomiting.

A wide variety of uncommon and quite rare side effects have also been reported by some patients. If you develop any new or unusual symptoms while taking Neurotin, let your doctor know immediately.

It is important to note that the side effects detailed above will not necessarily be visible and symptomatic for every person that uses this medication. The effects of Neurotin on some classes of individuals (e.g. pregnant women) have not been fully studied, and the severity of the side effects may vary from patient to patient. Report all noted sife effects to your doctor as soon as they happen.

You can get more details about the medicine Neurotin by utilizing the links above to the left. Neurontin price comparisons, pain & withdrawal symptoms, medication and more information about this drug are all covered in detail here at Neurotin.Net.

Copyright © 2005 Neurotin.Net 

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

matti

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 06:39:27 pm »
My neurologist prescribed it for me a few months ago, but have not taken it as of yet. I was given it because my facial nerve was misfiring. Both my doctor and the pharmacist told me to expect a weight gain.  It is started in small doses and then gradually increased (at least in my case)  You must taper down when stopping.

I will probably try Neurontin if my symptoms really flare up again, but right now I am doing OK  :)

I know there are a few here who are on it.
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 08:06:07 pm »
after reading raydean's post they can forget it  LOL  I already have most of those symptoms so why take a chance for making it worse.  I don't see the benefit.  I guess the doctor didnt' really either since he mentioned it than said we'll discuss it further in 4 mos if you're not any better and become worse.  I was told that I have some permanent throat disorder that could or could not have been caused by surgery they really dont' know they just said it will never get any better.  Will be interesting to hear what the surgeon says wednesday.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 08:51:21 pm »
I've been on it for a year now, batty.  Being used for pain mgt for me. I've had no side affects whatsoever from it.  I was on low dose (20 mg) Paxil before and hated it. Usually they prescribe 50mg or higher Paxil for depression and such. Mine was for pain mgt as well, but I didn't tolerate it well, so they switched me over to Neurontin.

On 300 mg now for the pain. Ultimate goal is to deaden nerve endings, thus, in my case, prevent misfiring of nerve endings that causes pain.  I take it at night before I go to bed since it may make you drowsy.  In the one year I've been on it (and as you know, I have a low tolerance to meds), in my case, no side affects at all. I know each person is different and some may react differently than others, but if the goal of your dr is to deaden nerve endings in hopes that things will calm down for you, it may be worth a shot.

as you know, many meds and such have potential affects. Some may happen to you, some may not. In my case, after a year, I've tolerated it exceptionally well and it is helping. Dr. is also working with me now via the neurontin to help with my headaches.

Neurontin is now being widely used for a multitude of medical issues, so if you have any questions as to why the dr is prescribing it, then please ask. If you are concerned about side affects, check with your pharmacist as they have the full list of any meds you are on.

Regardless of what you do, never rule out if the ultimate goal may help. 

Just my opinion.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 11:09:26 pm »
why do they want cymbalta off the market?  I was given a choice between that and effexor..the only reason the doc gave me the effexor was he had samples. 

thanks for your inputs.  The doctor just mentioned it and when I questioned it said he wasn't ready to start me just yet we'd revist it in 4 mos time.  Wasnt' sure what the point of it was.  It's more discomfort than pain I'm having for the most part. that choking on your tongue sensation..oh how I hate it!

Raydean

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 04:48:06 am »
I'd really feel awful if you based your decision on my posting.  Please talk to your Doctor as to why he's prescribing it and for what condition,  then decide what  the benefits from taking this drug against the possible side effects.

All drugs have a long list of side effects.  I don't think aspirin would make it thru the FDA approval process it been deveope in this time frame.

Interesting I found the following article  from www.neurotin.net

Raydean

Additional Neurontin Information
Neurontin News
Generic Neurontin
Epilepsy Treatment
Chronic Headaches
Chronic Cough

Neurotin News
Replacement Drug For Neurontin?
From Mlive.com - April 11, 2004

Medical company Pfizer is said to have a number of new prescription drugs that will hit the market very soon. Among them is one that is possibly serious competition for Neurontin. More details below.

Leading the pack on those possible prescriptions-in-waiting is Pregabalin, also known by its likely commercial name Lyrica. The drug is seeking to ease certain neuropathic pain, as well as help in treating seizures and psychiatric disorders.

"A year ago, we were very uncertain where we stood with this compound," Canter said. "But we've been able to solve some scientific problems."

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is reviewing the drug, which recently gained a favorable review from the London-based Committee for Proprietary Medicinal Products. Those recommendations for marketing approval are normally endorsed by the European Commission within 90 days. Pfizer said it was prohibited from discussing the drug in detail, but analysts believe it could gain regulatory approval and be sold within a year.

"I think Pfizer is holding a billion-dollar potential with (Lyrica)," said John Eade, an analyst with Argus Research in New York. "A billion is a home run. It's not a grand slam - Lipitor would be a grand slam. ... Still, I think it's going to be a profitable product because Pfizer has (an) excellent neurological franchise."

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 08:47:14 am »
Raydean anytime I see multiple attorney ads asking if you've had that medicicne and to call their office immediately it makes me cautious about a drug.  It was one of those things the doctor mentioned the drug and when I questioned what for he decided to wait another 4 mos. So leaves me with the opinion he's not real keen on giving it to me and I am not real keen on taking anymore meds.  For a brief time I was off all medications except tylenol and now I'm back to being a walking pharmacy and I hate it!  I learn from everyone's input then ultimately I make up my own mind and since it's not even being offered right now I  have time to research and make a decision before that time gets here so I know what I would be getting into if I decide to take it.  Just knew some people were on it and couldn't remember why and why all the ads on tv for it.

Thanks for you're input.
Michelle

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 04:43:00 pm »
Interesting thread.

I have been taking Neurontin (well now i take the cheaper generic brand) at 3 times 300mg per day. I am sure that it helps my headaches a bit - somethings better than nothing. i do find that when i have taken the afternoon one, I do get a bit sleepy.

The drug is used for a variety of reasons and people will react differently to it.

It's trial and error and why its so important that we get the actual info from posters, particularly re side effects

cheers

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 05:23:48 am »
Hi again,

I have done some checking and I think I'm going to try some pregabalin. It is a new and improved neurontin with virtually no side effects. It's being used for a variety of things, one of which is nerve related pain.

Worth a shot.

Not sure if nerve pain is all I have but worth a try.

Laz
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW

Battyp

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 05:50:47 am »
haven't heard of that drug laz...
surgeon mentioned neuroting but said we'll discuss it again in 6 mos as he's hoping/thinking my face is trying to wake up and didn't want to rush in and put me on the drug too soon.  Since my ENT said basically the same thing I'll ride it out a while longer and see what happens.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 09:02:34 am »
Laz dear,
What is the American name for pregabalin?
Also my good friend Marge was put on Vioxx for her hand arthritis (very distressing for an artist to have painful hands!) and it was a miracle drug for her and then they took it off the market and boy was she pi**ed!  Thinks Vioxx is perfectly fine for a normally healthy person--so if ya got other problems it shouldn't be prescribed for you!  She has found a Canadian drug that works wonders, though--Acroxia.  Not FDA approved yet here.
Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 09:36:39 am »
WOW! Will it make you more lyrical? ::)
Tee-hee-hee!
Captain Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2006, 01:59:46 am »
Thx Bruce,

Interesting with these drugs coz it is used quite successfully on cancer patients as well. It's not until you try them out that you can disnmiss them.

cheers

laz
Chronologer of the PBW

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 12:16:51 am »
Tried Lyrica for a few weeks and made me tired and moody and headaches are worse if anything. back to neurontin for me.

Anyone know a witch doctor? a bit of voodoo with needles stuck in the head sounds the go!

Laz
Chronologer of the PBW