Author Topic: EJTampa (Ernie's) updates  (Read 57063 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: EJTampa (Ernie's) updates
« Reply #180 on: April 13, 2009, 06:27:28 am »
Ernie -

I read on another thread that today you're going back to work.

Just wanted to say Congratulations - and don't overdo it.  Nap if you need to - after  work, that is  ;)

I found returning to work really made me tired, but I loved being there.  There's nothing quite like returning to your normal routine  8)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #181 on: April 13, 2009, 06:57:38 am »
Thanks Jan,

I fully intended to update here after my first day of work :).  I never was very tired after I started the steroids :).  I'm off them now, of course, but from about day 3 onward, just not much fatigue.  Once in a while I'd feel weakish, but not terrible.

My parents left today, hated to see them go  :(.  I'm trying to get them to move down here, but my mom is stubborn :).  I am a shift worker, so today's shift is from 2 PM to 10 PM.  It's a quiet shift, so it should go well.  The only real problem I might have is remembering all my passwords to log into the computers :).

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #182 on: April 13, 2009, 09:09:19 am »
Good luck, Ernie!  Has it even been six weeks?
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #183 on: April 13, 2009, 11:11:06 am »
folks heading back "home" :), no "roids" and Ernie, you're doing great!  See, I didn't slap you here! :)

Continued wellness! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #184 on: April 13, 2009, 11:29:05 am »
Best wishes for your first day back to work Ernie!  What type of work do you do? 
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #185 on: April 13, 2009, 11:50:55 am »
Ernie:

Going back to work already?
I was out from for 2 months. I began working 5 hrs/day that 1st week. Then, it was back to full-time right after that because I felt I could handle it. It was rough at first, but I really feel that getting back to work help me in my recovery process.
Good luck.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

EJTampa

« Reply #186 on: April 14, 2009, 12:16:03 am »
Gee, look at the time.  2 AM.  Well, I'm not done with my glass of whiskey yet anyway.

Work was ok.  I was glad to see everyone again.  It wasn't as quiet as I hoped.  I work for the National Weather Service.  We had to put up a Tornado Watch for our northern-most county, which adds lots of extra stuff to do.  The weather came down from the north, and did get to Levy County before I left.  No severe reports, but I did have to issue a marine warning.  Didn't have time to get to the bathroom.

8 hours of air conditioning and probably close to 15 computers running in the room just destroyed my hearing.  By the end of the shift, my tinnitus was screaming!  It's still 3 times louder than normal.  Hope it settles down before work tomorrow :).

It's amazing.  I was so sure this would be easy.  Mostly it was.  The biggest hurdle will be the tinnitus.  I may have to plug my good ear!  Will sure make it tough to answer the phones though :).  Really, I can deal with how it went.  I was just hoping it wouldn't be such a dramatic change.  I wonder what causes my deaf ear to go bonkers when normal sounds come in the good ear?

Geesh.  Here I am complaining about stupid little stuff when others have debilitating headaches, facial weakness/palsy, eye issues, etc.  I'm tempted to go back and delete everything I just typed and say everything went perfectly well! :)

It's funny how we focus on the negative and dwell on the problems, rather than focus on the positives and embrace the blessings that were bestowed upon us.  Sometimes its important to step back, and look at what you have rather than what you don't.

Hi.  I had a great day at work today!  I am so lucky to be able to return to work so soon, and have no major issues.  Thank you all for your wonderful support through all of this!  (that's better).

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.

NancyMc

« Reply #187 on: April 14, 2009, 05:25:34 am »
What a cool job, Ernie!  Overstimulation and stress always aggravate my tinnitus.
Gotta go, Dave's gonna make first attempt at washing some of that nasty hair in my scar photo.
Then off to track down some more softening, laxing alternatives for the system.  Eek!
Love ya, proud of ya,
Nancy

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #188 on: April 14, 2009, 06:02:59 am »
Ernie -

thanks for the recap of your going back to work milestone.

Sounds like it was pretty good - and it will get better as you adjust to the "new you".

Nancy -

if you still have goop in your hair, try Dawn (yes, the dish washing detergent).  It works great on post op hair goop.
Thanks again for this tip, Lori  ;D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

NancyMc

« Reply #189 on: April 14, 2009, 06:24:54 am »
Oh, thanks, Jan.  Yeah, that stuff is supposed to be great for windows, too, so I keep it on hand.  The shampoo and conditioner I had seemed to work fine, and I feel like a million bucks.  Sorry for the hijack.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #190 on: April 14, 2009, 06:29:59 am »
The shampoo and conditioner I had seemed to work fine, and I feel like a million bucks.  Sorry for the hijack.

Yea, nothing quite as wonderful as a shower and a shampoo post AN surgery.  I still remember how great it was  ;D

Don't worry about the hijack.  Ernie just completed his first the other day, so he'll understand  ;)

Jan

Cheryl R

« Reply #191 on: April 14, 2009, 08:18:47 am »
It's ok to talk about  your tinnitis as it is not a fun thing to have to put up with with.        The odds are that you will be having a daily problem with it.     Mine is always worse by night and I am retired.    I have it on both sides and different noises.              You may have to try the ear plug and while I have never used one some do and can tell you what is the best type to try.               You will adjust in time to some extent.                     Sounds like you have an interesting job.                   My kids have always made fun of me in how I pay attention to the weather.   
                                                                     Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

moe

« Reply #192 on: April 14, 2009, 08:34:25 am »

The biggest hurdle will be the tinnitus.  I may have to plug my good ear!  Will sure make it tough to answer the phones though :).  Really, I can deal with how it went.  I was just hoping it wouldn't be such a dramatic change.  I wonder what causes my deaf ear to go bonkers when normal sounds come in the good ear?

Geesh.  Here I am complaining about stupid little stuff when others have debilitating headaches, facial weakness/palsy, eye issues, etc. 
Ernie
Ah Ernie,
I feel your pain ! Tinnitus can be just as bad if not worse than any other post op problems.  Unfortunately, tinnitus controls my life now, and what I can do and for how long.... Hopefully yours will settle down. Take it easy. And it's OK to take naps. That's the only way I can escape my tinnitus. I can actually sleep through the shrill ring.

Mine sounds like that ring they do at mass (catholic) with the bread and wine. Perfect match! What's that part of the mass called? You're Catholic, I think..... ???

You took on a lot by going back to a full day of work right off the bat.And now there is severe weather (just watched the news) so I'm sure it's not an easy day at the office. >:(

Hang tough.
Maureen

06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

EJTampa

« Reply #193 on: April 14, 2009, 11:31:49 pm »
Hi Maureen,

Yes, I'm catholic.  And they have once again begun to ring the bells since lent is over with :).  I attribute much if not all of my rapid healing to receiving the sacrament "anointing of the sick".  Seriously, the day after surgery, I felt fine and was ready to go home.

Ernie

moe

« Reply #194 on: April 15, 2009, 08:24:24 am »
WOW, Ernie, that's AWESOME.
I was rushing to WA from TX for my surgery and did not get annointed before I left.  :(

Ah well, I'm alive. Prayers were bountiful. (My brother is a priest)

The neurosurgeon was amazed that I didn't stroke out from my bloody AN smashed against the brain stem for so many years.

I remember waking up the morning after surgery. He was just sitting there staring at me and said "Pretty"
I said "Oh you think I'm pretty?!". I had all my mental faculties, and humor too. Okay had to sacrifice the facial nerve, but we're working on that......
He tweaked my toes on the way out. I'm sure he was in awe.
Have a great one.
Maureen

06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty