Author Topic: strange head.  (Read 2908 times)

linny

• still problems, 3yrs later
strange head.
« on: April 09, 2008, 05:11:46 pm »
 ??? When I walk into a resturant, or store my head gets weird. Like I can hardly stand it. Does anyone else get this sensation?? I had 3.5cm (2 surgeries) 2006, I still have problems does it ever go away??  Linda   ???
Linda-2yr post AN 3-cm left side.  OHSU hospital , slow recovery for me. But then I had to have 2 surgeries with complications swelling of brain,

Catflower

Re: strange head.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 05:45:54 pm »
I'll be one year post AN surgery next week.  I still get the "weird head" feeling when I'm in stores, the mall, resturants, ect, anywhere where there is a lot of visual and auditory input.

I don't know if it ever goes away, but it is better than it was.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 06:14:42 pm »
Yes, I do.  I think for me having to navigate around tables in restaurants,  aisles in stores,  I feel a little woozy at times.
The longer I'm in either place,  the easier it seems to get.
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 08:19:11 pm »
Ah, yes, the ever popular "wonkyhead"  ::)  It's kind of legendary around this forum.

Captain Deb even made a nice little animated "wonkyhead" icon - you can view it under her AN Community post titled "I got my diability!...(with a catch)"

If you search under "wonkyhead" or "wonky head" you'll probably find some past posts that might interest you.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dpetty

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 11:34:54 am »
I had it for a short bit but I forced myself to get past it, I am 6+ yrs out......best medicine is lots and lots of exercise.

Nancy T

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 12:52:19 am »
When your inner ear is compromised, the other two parts of your vestibular system (vision and proprioception) have to compensate.

Busy visual environments--stores, malls, patterned carpet or wallpaper, etc.--overload your vision processing, which you're now extra reliant on because of your bad inner ear. That's why the "funny head" feeling--it's your vestibular system out of whack.

Sometimes vestibular rehab can help with this. I did some eye/head exercises that the vestibular therapist gave me, and it DID help with that visual sensitivity.

(although I didn't have an AN and the cause of my dizziness and hearing loss remains unknown)

Nancy T.
Sudden sensorineural hearing loss, left side, 1999 (no acoustic neuroma)
Baha Intenso, 2008

linny

• still problems, 3yrs later
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 05:54:45 pm »
thank you all at least Im not alone. I just love you all.   I learn so much here. Docters ought to read on here.  :) ;)
Linda-2yr post AN 3-cm left side.  OHSU hospital , slow recovery for me. But then I had to have 2 surgeries with complications swelling of brain,

TLC719

• Teresa L Childers
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 06:52:11 pm »
Linny I also have that strange head feeling.I told my doctor I felt like I was walking on a moving bus and he looked as strange & said what do you mean?This is something you just can't explain to others except a few people on this website would understand.I hope all get better with time.    Teresa
Atlanta Ga.AN 2006 right paralysis,balance issues,SS deaf,just happy to be here!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 11:07:42 pm »
I learn so much here. Docters ought to read on here.  :) ;)

I agree, it should be required reading for any doctor who treats ANs.  It would give them a nice perspective of what patients go through.

Plus they could pick up some interesting tips - like using Dawn to wash goopy ointment out of your hair  ;)

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways