Author Topic: Could this REALLY be the beginning ....  (Read 3244 times)

Denisex2boys

Could this REALLY be the beginning ....
« on: November 11, 2008, 08:15:12 am »
 :) .... of TRUE progress in recovery :)

Oh my gosh!  these last 5 days have been absolutely WONDERFUL!  Don't get me wrong - recovery started from day 1 - I am in week 4 of recovery and FINALLY feel some REAL progress for me ......  I was suffering from debilitating headaches up until last week and spent a couple of days (all day) in bed - - the T-3's were not working and I was just beside myself - - my friend on Facebook who works in the medical field told me different supplements to try - I was drinking tons of water since hydration is supposed to be good too - but was prob. washing everything away with all the water - as well as not eating right - since I am still having some weakness issues ...... I also called my Surgeons office and they suggested - whether I need it or not - to take an Advil every 4-6 hours - so between that and the vitamins - (magnesium was one she specifically suggested) - my headaches seem to be much, much better - I was willing to try anything as I was getting so down from the head pain :(

.... and  - - I just got back from DRIVING the kids to my daycare provider :) WOOHOO! I am driving! It is a really weird feeling especially with the single-sided deafness - but my balance and dizziness are almost not existant (unless I close my eyes) - - and I figured driving these very short distances to start will be good! I actually went ...  to Toys R Us yesterday to start some shopping (again, close to where I live) - my biggest annoyance when I am out - especially in this weather is the dry eye - I still have the facial weakness, numbness on side of tongue, mouth, throat, some facial pain (feeling is coming back) and numb head - - BUT without these headaches I feel so, so, so, SO MUCH BETTER!!!!

Please keep your fingers crossed that this is the TRUE beginning of me feeling BETTER!

- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

Cheryl R

Re: Could this REALLY be the beginning ....
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 08:46:01 am »
Good to hear how well you are doing now Denise.     At first it seems like we never will but it really does improve.      Now you join us who live with eye drops with us at all times.       One is always in the purse, and 2 more somewhere in the house.               I have got to where don't use much at home now but do occ when I go somewhere some days.     
Good luck on your continued recovery!                      Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 05:10:41 pm »
Wow, Denise!

It's so good to learn that the headaches have abated and you're feeling better, stronger and obviously, far more optimistic...and with good reason.

Driving and shopping, no matter how short the distance or how brief the time spent, is certainly a sign of progress.  I'm the type that needs to see a 'light at the end of the tunnel' and I suspect you are, too.  I'm tempted to be trite and state: "go toward the light, Denise" but to protect my reputation for gravitas, I'll refrain from doing so. ;)

I will be joining many others, I'm sure, in hoping and praying for your recovery to continue at this new, improved level and pace.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 08:06:19 pm »
Sounds like you are right on track for a great recovery, Denise!  I remember how important it felt to able to drive; don't overdo it though.  I had many days where I felt wonderful followed by many not-so-good days.  I still have a lot of the symptoms you describe but I am also seeing progress in fits and starts.  I'm sure we'll both take it, gladly!  I'm happy you're doing so well.
All best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 09:51:26 pm »
These last 5 days have been absolutely WONDERFUL!   - - without these headaches I feel so, so, so, SO MUCH BETTER!!!! - - Please keep your fingers crossed that this is the TRUE beginning of me feeling BETTER!

Well, yeah, I think it is!  :D

Take it easy, enjoy your progress, and celebrate every step forward. Best wishes!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 06:47:28 am »
Denise,
It does sound like you are on the road to recovery at last!  Remember you still need to rest a lot, if you don't your body will remind you for sure ;D  Patience is a key ingredient to an eventful recovery so be patient with yourself and listen to your body.

Wishing you continued good healing,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 05:34:42 pm »
Hey Denise-

Glad to hear that you are already driving.  Wendy's right though, make sure you rest!  Otherwise your body will remind you in a most forcible (and sometimes unpleasant!) way!   ;D

Keep healing!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Carson

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 09:21:26 am »
That is simply fabulous!!!   ;D 
Loving daughter to my
Father recovering from AN surgery
9/4/08 at The Ohio State University Medical Center
Dr. Welling and Dr. McGregor
GO BUCKS!!!

calimama

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 09:05:19 pm »
hey Denise,
glad to find you feeling good and excited about your recovery. take care!

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 12:23:45 pm »
Be absolutely sure to take the Advil with a little food as it can do a number on your tummy if you end up staying on it for even a few weeks.  A few graham crackers work pretty well.  Nobody told me this and I ended up with a bad tummy condition that I still have. Still can't take any kind of NSAIDs at all.  I sure hope your headaches continue to resolve!

Hugs,

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

klangel

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 01:19:49 pm »
how wonderful to hear that youre doing so well! definitely be careful with the aleve though. it can be pretty tough on the system. keep up the great healing!  kerri