Author Topic: Doctor insensitivity  (Read 9366 times)

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Doctor insensitivity
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 04:26:21 am »
DHM:  Like make-up, hair hides a 'multitude' of sins (is that the saying ?!).
Always good thoughts my friend.   
ps: WE'VE ALL COME A LONG WAY BABY ! !
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 10:41:07 am »
   I think its a case of the doctors deal with death and sickness every day.... it would be traumatic unless you turn the emotions off .. like a funeral director .. some doctors are better at this than others of course...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 12:53:57 am »

Some surgeons seal it up with a “skull putty” (calcium phosphate) so that cosmetically you do not end up with “Crater Lake” in your head (sorry Oregonian talk)… but some (not all) studies show that this increases the chance of infection- such as meningitis. Surgeons differ on that topic I discovered -in my interviews. Until less than 12 hours before I had surgery I thought I was getting the calcium phosphate, as I did not want a big crater. I discussed this specifically with the neurtologist. But the neurosurgeon, who I spoke to for the 1st time, said “no” (There I was already in California, booked in for surgery and learning this change in detail only hours before incision. I just had to trust the neurosurgeon even though I was questioning this before hand.) I came home with Crater Lake in my skull.

At the Chicago symposium Dr Kazan gave a very convincible argument as to why not to use the skull putty... Although I do not like the crater in my skull- I think my neurosurgeon made the best choice... it just took me time and question asking , of me, to understand this more. Dr Kazan also showed a video of a tumor dissection and how intricate it is. I came out of his presentation more respectful than ever of how tricky and difficult these surgeries can be.

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 08:10:37 am »
Hijack here.

DHM -

I thought the video was amazing.  I originally went to this session because Dr. Kazan is my neurosurgeon and I wanted to see him speak.  I walked away with a lot of valuable information - including the odds of my own AN recurring - since Dr. Kazan does surgeries with not only Dr. Wiet, but with Dr. Battista.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways