Author Topic: Cystic acoustic neuroma  (Read 2979 times)

tryherd

Cystic acoustic neuroma
« on: March 06, 2009, 03:58:26 pm »
I am thinking someone in this group may have a link or resource for me to better understand the risks or complicating factors involved with tumors with a large cystic component.  My 4.5 x 4.0 mass as seen in the MRI may be almost half composed of a cyst.  I have surgery soon and would like to know more going in.

Thanks, All.

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Cystic acoustic neuroma
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 04:20:09 pm »
hi there tryherd,  I'm not familiar with a cyst component,  but by the sound of it, I think a tumor is more solid & a cyst is encapsulated with fluid.
Your tumor is large, so surgery it is.   I was really sick post op, felt like I was hit by a mack truck:  vomiting, severe headache, others have a smooth recovery,  it's all individual.
You will be very fatigued for ~ 2 months + imbalance, it takes weeks to months to re-learn your balance;  again,  everyone is individual, so you'll see
what issues you have to deal with.  Most of us have trouble adjusting to grocery stores, malls, etc - it's all the people coming at you causing you to lose your balance.

After all is said & done,  you will recover, adjust,  & best of all,  you'll feel well again & life goes on ! !
Any questions you have,  we are all here to help.

Always good thoughts,    Nancy

« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 01:03:55 am by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 10:17:22 pm »
As Nancy said, at 4cm plus, surgery is the only choice. I Googled cystic acoustic neuroma, and did find articles on the subject, though none seemed particularly definitive. I got the impression that large cystic ANs are relatively uncommon, and do pose additional issues during surgery. The facial nerve seems to get mentioned a fair amount. I don't know what that all means, but it does suggest to me that getting opinions on your case from the best surgeons around, i.e. House Ear Clinic or comparable, might be worth it.

The outcome of your surgery is not guaranteed in any case; it could be better or worse, you just have to find out. You will get through it one way or another.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 05:06:46 am »
Hi my AN was over 4.5cm surrounded by fluid i am doing fine, i have a friend in italy whos AN had a cystic component if you want her email address let me know she would be happy to talk to you
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

joebloggs

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 06:09:52 am »
Hiya,

Although mine is not as large as yours, it is also at least half cystic.  From what my surgeon has told me (my surgery is in 4 days) the cystic component makes things a little more complicated.  It is a bit more complicated during surgery (for reasons I'm not sure why... although it's still totally removable, just a bit more tricky), but the big problem comes with radiation apparently.  From what I remember he told me, the cystic part can react weirdly to radiation and start getting much larger all of a sudden.  When you have an AN my size (and particularly yours... however they wouldn't do radiation on one your size I don't think anyway) if it's already touching the brain stem, you really don't want it growing unpredictably after radiation, hence surgery is the only option, plus when you radiate, the radiation doesn't affect the area of AN which is behind the cystic component.  Something like that.  I'm sorry it's a big vague, but this is my recollection.  Basically, if cystic it's a bit trickier for surgery, therefore you want to make sure you have a good surgeon.  I'll let you know how I get on on Wednesday with mine!

Cheerio

JB
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 08:56:34 am »
Hi there-
I can chime in on this one too - my AN was quite cystic but smaller than yours - only about 2.5. Still the fact that it was cystic made it "stickier" which makes it a bit harder to remove.  I don't know that cystic tumors always involve the facial nerve, I only know that mine did - it was quite stuck to my facial nerve and they left a few little bits behind to save the nerve.  I am 10 months post op and have pretty good facial function back, although still some dead areas.  Experienced surgeons will have experience dealing with cystic tumors, so you should be in good hands. PM me if you want to chat, okay?

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

tryherd

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 03:50:47 pm »
Thanks to all who responded.  Your thoughts and information are both comforting and helpful.  I agree that surgery is my best option and am already scheduled for surgery in nine days (I am not counting the minutes, yet).