Author Topic: Normal Audiogram---What Should I Do?  (Read 8631 times)

Betsy

Re: Normal Audiogram---What Should I Do?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2007, 06:09:03 pm »
Well said, Amy.  When I first started having symptoms, I knew it was in my head...unfortunately the doctors were starting to agree, but in a totally different way.  Then came the MRI.....

Terri, everyone has really given you excellent advice here, there's not much I could possibly add.  One thing though....does your MRI have to be ordered by an ENT, or can your primary care physician order it?  Although she can't treat my AN, I've found my primary doc to be very generous with referrals, samples of sleep medicine, and moral support.

Please let us know how it turns out.

Betsy

15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 12:06:40 pm »
Tone tests I passed with flying colors... word discrimination I bombed with AN side ear... I could here
the tones ... I probably heard them in a different tone than they really were ,  but I heard them...
in real life I could tell the hearing was changing

My AN was found when the left side of my face got tingly and numb and mouth was droopy... MRI was
ordered and nothing showed on left side but  the AN was found on the right... left side numbness was
attributed to migrain complications and was gone within 2 weeks... I have left sided migraines with aura ...

I'm with the others ... find someone that will order the MRI...

And I have found ANs can be unpredictable ... mine sat unchanging for several years ...but then took off
on a growth spurt and went from 3 mm to 3.3 cm at widest point in about 6  1/2 months ... doctor
could not say why it took off growing ... pointing finger at hormones ... had a bad spell with hormones
gone wild that ended with a hysterectomy in March because my body could not produce enough
blood to replace what I was losing ... I know this growth is not typical ... most grow slowly ...

My point is you have something going on and need to know what...

Good luck
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

susier

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 07:27:57 pm »
Case in point......I had been having dizziness for about a month and a half. After seeing every doc except my dentist, my ENT fought with my insurance company for the MRI and won.  After being diagnosed with a AN in my right ear, she sent me to see a coleague with experience in AN's.  I had my first appt with him last week and my AN is only 3mm, very small.  My dizziness, it turns out, was caused by a build up of dead skin and wax in my LEFT ear.  After cleaning out that ear, I have almost felt normal again. He told me that had I gone to see him first, he would not have ordered the MRI based on my symptoms (dizziness only, no hearing loss).  He commended his colleague for fighting for the MRI which ultimately found the very small tumor that may or may not cause more serious problems later.

NF-2er

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 10:29:55 pm »
Hi;

Re, ENTs, I wish they would have to attend AN school!  Geesh... Some are more ignorant than the pts.
   If one presents with hearing loss, they are candidates for MRI. An acoustic neuroma totally in the CPA often presents with no hearing loss or readily apparent symptoms.
   Some get large before they are discovered. ENTs, yuk, except for children's ear infection and Menieres Disease, BPPV, etc.
   Oh, just the notion how I was misdiagnosed for 6 years by an ENT when actually had NF-2. Even the interpreting radiologist was correct.

NF-2er