Author Topic: Linac/gamma at Univ of Florida on Dec 1--please send good thoughts my way  (Read 2695 times)

Tricia (horsekayak)

• Keenah and Tricia
After a long conference with Dr. Friedman at Shands Hospital in Gainesville, FL , I've decided to have Linac (which is their version of gamma) on Tuesday, Dec. 1

Thought i would opt for surgery but some other health issues made that not an option.  Am fine with the decision, because I've researched all the options so much.  This makes the most sense due to ALL the issues that had to be considered.

One tiny  little gripe/comment:  I find it odd that Shands Neurosurgery hires people to talk on the telephone who speak very quickly and very softly.  I've had to ask more than one staff member to speak slowly and a little louder.  Guess they just dont deal very much with folks who have hearing difficulties... ;D   Makes me appreciate the hearing that I still have !

anyway, if this is my only problem with my procedure, then all else will be absolutely fine...and in the grand scheme of things this  is something i'll laugh about next year after this is all over...Shands staff has been overwhelmingly helpful, humorous, patient...which is why i chose to go there

i would appreciate any good vibes/prayers/thoughts you guys can send my way...am so glad i found this forum...it has been one of my main sources of support during some truly crazy times...
Tricia (horsekayak)-Diagnosed 8/10/09
1.5 cm right side AN
Gainesville, GA (near horses and Lake Lanier)
Linac radiosurgery at Shands Hospital/Univ of Florida  12/1/09  Go Gators!!!

"Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way"...BT Washington

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Linac/gamma at Univ of Florida on Dec 1--please send good thoughts my way
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 11:05:31 pm »
Tricia -

good luck, good vibes, good thoughts, and also prayers!

Did you put your big date on the AN Calendar?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 04:59:28 pm »
Tricia ~

Congratulations on your treatment (GK) decision!  I know this is one of the more difficult parts of the 'AN journey' and I'm glad to learn that you're past it, now, and looking forward to moving ahead with your life.  That kind of attitude will hold you in good stead in the weeks to come.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers now and especially, next Tuesday (12/1).  I know you'll do great and I expect you to, as you noted, look back on this episode in your life in a year from now and laugh at all the angst and drama it generated.  Meanwhile, we'll be here to support you in whatever way we can.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 09:34:04 pm »
Tricia,

Congratulations on reaching your decision regarding treatment.  In my opinion, it's the hardest part of having an AN and finding  docs  you are confident in and comfortable with is worth its weight in gold.  I'm not familiar with Linac,I'm pretty sure another member, (Arushi) was treated there and by Dr. Friedman.  She doesn't post too often these days, but if you PM her she might respond.  I wish peace of mind and   a great outcome. You will be in my thoughts and prayers on December 1.
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

ghenier27

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 11:06:24 am »
I there, you could say that I am right in your back yard. I live in Gainesville,Florida ( GO Gators! ) and just had my surgery done October 19th. I am doing wonderful and recovered very well. I am going to send you all the postive reinforcement you need! Anytime you would like to chat. Send me a personal messenge and I will send you my home number and we can chat. And I do realize that your not having surgery but we do have sometime in common - our AN's. Sending many blessing your way! Debi

suboo73

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 06:22:36 am »
Tricia,

So happy you have made your decision and are on the way to treatment!
I will be thinking of you on Tuesday and send thoughts and prayers all week long for an uneventful and successful treatment.
Please keep us posted on your progress.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

cindyj

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 09:46:23 am »
Know you guys are on the road to FL today - have a safe trip and we'll be watching for your updates!

Look forward to meeting you after you get back home :)

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

shabuck

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 01:51:41 pm »
Good luck for tomorrow Trisha, I'll be thinking of you.. good luck
Sharon xx
2cm left side.. surgery booked for 3rd dec 09. St Georges London - Professor Bell.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 01:59:02 pm »
Tricia .....

So glad you made a decision and the day is already upon you.  Be thinking about you tomorrow.

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

mandy721

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 09:15:11 pm »
Tricia,

You will be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow.  It seems like things moved very quickly for you and am hoping that you have an easy time of it and a speedy recovery.

Mandy
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 09:28:02 pm »
Add my good vibes and prayers too!

Yes, this becomes like a lifeline as you go through it....It helped me realize that there was the other side of the mountain.
You sound comfortable with your decision for all the right reasons.

I await your updates.

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

sgerrard

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 11:03:01 pm »
I went to Dr. Friedman's workshop at the Symposium in Chicago in August. He is very much on top of his game, and they have a very successful program there at Shands. I don't think you even need the good vibes, but they are forthcoming anyway. Best wishes Tricia!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.