Author Topic: MRI pictures, anything sinister please?  (Read 8573 times)

Beth3735

MRI pictures, anything sinister please?
« on: March 11, 2016, 09:48:50 am »
I went for an mri yesterday and have photos to look at but no report yet.
Can anyone see anything sinister in these photos please?
This is all done without contrast, my ent referred me and has prescribed me some hearing aids due to my hearing loss.

Thank you in advance.

Beth3735

Re: MRI pictures, anything sinister please?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 09:50:09 am »

I placed those arrows there.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 10:16:51 am »
Hi Beth3735 .....

You need to know that the people who use this forum are not medical professionals.  That being said, we really cannot diagnose from MRI images.  Unfortunately, you will need to wait to hear from your physician on the report.

Unless you are allergic to the contrast material, most doctors in the US who suspect or want to rule out an acoustic neuroma, order the MRI with contrast, which is the best way to pick up any tumor (even a tiny one) growing.

If your only symptom is hearing loss, it most likely is not an acoustic neuroma (also known as a vestibular schwannoma).

Be sure to let us know what you find out.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Beth3735

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 10:25:53 am »
Hi Clarice,

Thank you for your reply. I do understand where you're coming from with not being able to diagnose anything from the pictures. I'm hoping my report won't take too long.

I have constant tinnitus in my head too along with the hearing loss. These are the only symptoms. I'm desperately hoping for an all clear from the MRI though :)

Patti

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 10:32:32 am »
What a horrible place to be put in!  The last time I got my films before the report I saw all different things and it turned out to be nothing!  I lost 24 hours of my life worrying!!!!!!!  Everyone will tell you not to worry but you probably will until you hear from the doctor.  So I don't want to tell you not to worry, but I will say we've all been through the waiting and it is awful!!!!!!  Good Luck!  Patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

Beth3735

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 10:48:27 am »
Thank you Patti,

I have to wait till Thursday for the private company to send my nhs consultant the report. I'm hoping they put it online before then though :)
Tbh, I feel loads better just by getting my first ever mri out of the way yesterday. The fear for that was horrible. Will be glad when all of this is over with though and I hope I get the all clear. If not I know I'm in the right place for help and advice.

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 01:01:29 pm »
Beth, without seeing all of your images it's hard to tell whether you have one and just missed it.

The following pair of images resemble your second set of images and show you where the AN should be found in those views. It's the big white blob just right of center.

http://www.aboutcancer.com/gk_an_proton.jpg

The next two images are similar views to your first image and show you where you should be looking for an AN.

http://www.waent.org/archives/2010/Vol3-1/20090614-acoustic-neuroma/acoustic_neuroma_1.jpg

http://anaa.org.au/anaa_images/Acoustic_Neuroma_MRI_with_permission.jpg

An MRI with contrast is the way to go. A very small AN might not show up without contrast.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

Beth3735

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 02:33:25 pm »
Thank you for your links Jack. That helps out loads, also makes me feel more positive.

I'm having an NHS mri soon and if they feel the need they will add contrast half way through.

PabloCarlosBudassi

• Observable Universe Logarithmic Illustration
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 08:44:11 pm »
Ill leave my MRI here.. All neuroseougens say I have to go to surgery as soon as possible:

www.googledrive.com/host/0B7ujWHMQZM8ATFJFSzU3QzZieW8/INDEX.HTM
16/02/01 Sudden hearing loss diagnosed
16/03/07 3cm left side stage 4 AN diagnosed

Beth3735

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 11:01:45 am »
Pablo do you know what they saw on that picture please? I have some of those close dark ones but not sure what I'm looking for :)

Blw

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 11:11:18 am »
I think to rule in or out an AN, you absolutely have to have the contrast.

PaulW

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 01:13:39 pm »
MRI's are good enough these days to diagnose a tumour that sits where AN's sits without Contrast.
However they do need the contrast to determine what sort of tumour it is.
Meningiomas can sit in the same location and sometimes look similar, however they do react differently to the contrast.
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

PaulW

10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

Beth3735

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 02:09:44 pm »
Blw I'm hoping that the consultant can work out what he needs to from my photos without contrast as my fear of needles it strong  ;D

Paul, thank you, I could only see the first main photo of Pablos, there is nothing like that on my other photos of the MRI  :)

Blw

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2016, 08:49:01 pm »
Contrast is the gold standard, though it can be done without. However, not using it requires coordination so the radiologist knows they are looking for an AN. Without contrast also can miss certain types (small, certain locations). Lastly, I think if one is detected without, I think they would repeat with contrast to confirm, and to treat it, I don't know how they would do it without the contrast because they need the detail--they also use a more powerful machine to clearly identify the border of the tumor, but that is down the road. The needle is very small, and depending on the imaging place, they can do automatic injection of the contrast--you are in for a precontrast, then they inject the contrast and reshoot without coming out of the MRI. In my opinion, the MRI is the most stressing aspect due to claustrophobia. I think if you have a good doctor they are very flexible. One thing to keep in mind, if you are diagnosed with an AN, your doctor will want all those images, from the beginning through current treatment, in order to measure size and track growth.