Author Topic: Yoga For You  (Read 3208 times)

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Yoga For You
« on: October 04, 2008, 11:04:22 am »
For clarification, I want to begin using the name Vestibular Schwannoma (VS) with the hope this terminology becomes the preferred and more commonly used term in the medical community and with AN patients.  The VS tumor is made of schwann cells growing from the vestibular nerve and it isn’t until the tumor grows large enough to press on the acoustic nerve causing hearing loss that most of us seek medical attention, but for some of us (me included) we notice an unsteadiness or weakness in our balance first.  Our diagnosis usually comes from an ENT; hence, the term “acousticâ€? is used.  Below you will see I use “VSâ€? instead of “ANâ€? here. 

Many of you have had questions regarding Yoga so I began to put down a few tips and suggestions specific to the benefits pre and post VS treatment.  I am honored to have been asked to do this. 

I have been practicing Yoga for ten years and weeks before my surgery I became certified to teach Yoga.  My helpful “tipsâ€? are for people familiar with yoga postures, breathing techniques and meditation.  I would suggest people new to Yoga join a beginner class to become familiar with the postures and their techniques. 

I found my Yoga practice began changing pre surgery as my balance and strength decreased significantly.  Post surgery I had no choice but to start at the beginning and I did this by backing off of the postures, not going too deeply, using props to support my body and not holding the more difficult postures for a long period of time.  After surgery I had to re-learn the most basic tasks we take for granted; standing, walking, turning, so why should returning to my practice be any different?  This was hard for me to accept, but remembering Yoga’s philosophy of staying humble to myself, I was able to regain what I had lost in a relatively short period of time.  My practice changes daily and some days I can do Headstand, some days I cannot.  Some days I can meditate for one hour, some days only one minute.  You might the find the same with yourself. 

After you have your clearance from your treating physician regarding returning to a workout program, I always tell my students to listen to their body as it will speak volumes as to whether you will be able to perform the postures you did before you’re VS treatment.  Some of us discover what we did well before our treatment does not hold true post treatment and I include myself in this.  Remember to always stay humble to your “selfâ€?. 

There many postures I have not mentioned as I don't want to create information overload.  These postures are a suggestion and these are ones I have been able to perform.  There are many more postures, but I put down the ones I am familiar with.  If you are not sure about a posture just ask and I will go into greater detail to help you out with it.  I welcome all comments and questions. 

Yoga is an inward journey of discovery, where you learn to “yokeâ€? or unite the body, mind and spirit bringing balance to your life.  The way to balance is through a quiet mind and one does this by working diligently on two of the eight stages of Yoga, the postures and the breath.  Learn to allow yourself to stumble, allow yourself to begin at the beginning if need be, allow yourself to choose a more restorative class rather than the powerful Ashtanga teaching.  In letting go of the past you become enlightened to a new you that is emerging.  Don’t fight this, as the longer you cling to what once was, the longer it takes to receive your gift.  The past is just that, the future hasn’t happened and today is the present that’s why it’s called “the giftâ€?.  Everyday open your gift and receive it with joy, grace and love.   

Those in pain begin your yoga class embracing your pain; accept it as it will not go away until you acknowledge its presence.  Begin by asking the question, “How big is my pain?â€?  Don’t demand the answer, just sit or stand quietly for your answer, but you must be quiet!  No other thoughts after you ask your question. 
Those dealing with paralysis can begin their class embracing their “painâ€? as a mother would embrace the child whose skin is another color, whose face is disfigured, or whose disability is keeping them from being accepted.  You wouldn’t hesitate to embrace that child and make it feel accepted, so why not the same for you?  Don’t wait for others to accept you; you must first accept yourself.  Accept your inner child, love that child and wait quietly for your answer. 

Those dealing with the fear of a diagnosis I will ask you the same at the beginning of your practice accept your diagnosis and embrace it.  The more we turn our backs in fear the bigger “itâ€? will become.  Not until you embrace your fear (you are not alone as we all have been there) will it lessen.  Turn to face your fears whatever they may be, don’t wait for others to “feelâ€? your fear, your pain or your hardships.  They do not understand that which resides within you. 

By accepting the “newâ€? you will the doors of compassion and understanding open without asking.  A new life ultimately begins with you and I encourage you to enjoy your new life!  If not now then when?  Let’s begin! 

(*) represents a contraindication and should be avoided when noted.
(HB = high blood pressure, LB = low blood pressure)

POSTURES:  (These postures may or may not cause pain, sometimes they can for me and on that day I take a pass. I have LB and sometimes notice pressure builds causing a headache. ) 

Headaches: 
(*) Standing Forward Bend (HB, LB)
(*) Shoulder Stand (HB, LB)
(*) Plow (HB, LB)
(*) Knees to Ears (HB, LB)
Baby Pose
Downward Dog
Seated Alternated Forward Bend
Seated Full Forward Bend
(*) Headstand (HB, LB, disc problems, try Wide-Leg Standing Forward Bend)
Hand Stand

Postures that strain the neck and shoulder are ones to watch out for if you suffer with occipital/trigeminal neuralgia, these are:
(These can be done safely staying mindful of any tension, pain or pressure created.  Instead of crunching/crushing the cervical or lumbar spine, think of lengthening in all backbends.)  
(*) Spinal Twists (disc problems, better to keep the head in a neutral position)
(*) Headstand (HB, LB, disc problems, try Wide Leg Standing Forward Bend)
(*) Rabbit (HB, LB, disc problems)
(*) Fish (disc problems)
(*) Shoulder Stand (HB, LB, disc problems)
(*) Seated Lateral Twist (disc problems)
Full Locust (arms overhead)
Full Wheel
(*) Plow (HB, LB, disc problems)
Standing Backward Arch with Arms Overhead

Releasing Neck and Shoulders:
AR (active resistive) Stretching for the neck
Head and shoulder rolls
The Hug (elbows are up and level with the chin) 
Elbow across the chest (use opposite hand to gently pull the elbow)
Hand to scapula (bending elbow tough palm of hand to the shoulder blade while opposite hand reaches overhead and gently pulls elbow stretching it)
Eagle
Down Dog
Face of the Cow
Reverse Plank
Hands in prayer position behind back working the hands as high up the back as one can (spread through the clavicle raise the armpits) 
Hip and Chest Stretch
Supported Bridge
Down Dog
(*) Rabbit (HB, LB, disc problems)
(*) Shoulder Stand (HB, LB, disc problems)
(*) Plow (HB, LB, disc problems)
(*) Knees to Ears (HB, LB, disc problems)

Calming Postures (perform at anytime but particularly before bed):
Seated Alternated Forward Bend
Seated Full Forward Bend   
Seated Wide-Angle Forward Bend
Forward Bend in half or full lotus
Sit in Hero reclining into Full Hero
Reclining Hand to Big Toe
Reclining Spinal Twist (keep head neutral)
Reclining with knees separated and bottoms of feet touching
Shoulder Stand 
Bound Angle Reclining

Hip Release: 
Reclining with knees bent place ankle of one leg on knee/thigh and reaching through the leg opening, grab with both hands the opposite shin.  Hug your legs towards your chest. 
Face of Cow
Half or Full Lotus
Seated Wide Leg Forward Bend
Triangle
Revolved Triangle
Eagle
Frog (reclining)
Reclining Spinal Twists
Seated Angle
Bound Angle

Increase Energy: 
Cobra
Full Wheel
Bridge
Locust
Bow
Pigeon
Dancer
Camel 

Increase Leg and Ankle Strength: (Use a wall for support by backing up to it or touching with your hand)
Tree
Standing Hand to Big Toe
Standing Hand to Big Toe Leg to Side
Standing Extending Leg Straight
Lateral Angle
Revolved Lateral Angle
Warrior I (* HB), II and III
Needle
Chair
Eagle
Standing Frog
Triangle
Revolved Triangle
Squatting on balls of your feet and rising
Stomach Rolling
Boat

For Balance: (Use a wall to support you)
Tree
Warrior I, II and III
Needle
Eagle
Chair
Half Moon
Side Arm Balance
Triangle
Revolved Triangle
Lateral Angle
Revolved Lateral Angle

Arm Strength: (* Caution should be considered here for those suffering shoulder, elbow or wrist problems)
Side Arm Balance
Down Dog
Up Dog
Cobra
Reverse Plank
Hand Arm Balance
Hand Stand
Crane
One Leg Sage
One Foot Sage
Full Wheel

Eye Exercises:
Close eyes comfortably and imagine a clock in front of your face move your eyes to every number on the clock one way then reverse. 
Look up and hold for half a breath, look down and hold for half a breath.
Repeat side to side
Repeat diagonally

Full Body Affect:
Sun Salutations

BREATHING TECHNIQUES To be done after the postures: (* Those suffering from HB, heart problems should not hold their breath during these techniques.) 
Simple Breathing
Alternated Nostril Breathing 

Each technique will bring you to a “single-mindedâ€? focus, good for reducing stress and increasing circulation.   
Alternated Nostril Breathing is better for increasing oxygen, benefitting those with headaches and asthma. 

These can be done sitting on a couch/chair or on the floor.  If sitting in cross-legged position, use a pillow or rolled up yoga mat to raise your hips higher than your knees.  Sit erect, no slouching.  Back up against a wall if your back muscles ache. 

Yoga breathing is done with mouth closed through the nostrils. Imagine filling a pitcher slowly with water, then emptying it.  Fill the belly slowly with air watching the breath move up into the chest, exhaling slowly from the chest to the belly.  All is relaxed while doing this, no tension in the head, face, mouth, neck or back. 

Inhalation can be a 3-second count with an exhale of 4 or 5 seconds.  The count will increase as you gain strength with breathing.  Some inhale to the count of 12 exhaling longer. 

(*)  The Bellows Breath and Breath of Fire should not be practiced by those suffering from brain tumor, eye or ear problems, HB or LB as this can increase pressure in the skull. I do not recommend this breathing technique even after treatment, but you decide if your body can handle the pressure.  Mine does not and I do not practice this. 

MEDITATION TECHNIQUES: (Use a wall to support your back, rolled up yoga mat, pillow or block to raise hips higher than knees relieving the pressure on knees)
Simple cross leg
Half Lotus
Full Lotus
Corpse Pose
Sitting in Chair

To settle into meditation you can use either technique:

Following the breath as it enters the body, filling the belly moving up to the chest and reversing this flow on exhalation.  Do this for 10 or more minutes before you let go of controlling this breathing technique and sit quietly allowing the body to breathe on its own—10 minutes.

With eyes closed, turn them in and up (sort of cross eyed feeling) staring at the spot between the eyebrows—10 minutes.

The idea is to focus on one thing or no thing.

Time recommended is five minutes to one hour. 

Use your favorite mantra (simple words said repeatedly) while meditating. 

Gazing at a candle flame that is placed at eye level, sit comfortably. 

Plug your ears and listen to the sound of your breath. 

Lying in Corpse, watch your belly softly rising and lowering while naturally breathing (not controlling the breath). 

Have a “smileâ€? inwardly while breathing naturally and just breathe. 

Don’t “try� to meditate, just sit quietly and breathe.

Don’t engage in conversation with yourself.  Bring yourself back to a single-minded focus when you catch yourself.  The idea is to “catchâ€? yourself and the more you do this the less it will happen. 

Expect nothing.  This keeps you from controlling the meditation.  This allows your self or spirit to be present. 

To pray is conversing with God, your Self or Spirit and to meditate is God, your Self or Spirit conversing with you.   

Namaste—I bow to the Spirit within you.

Karen

1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

mimoore

• Believe!
Re: Yoga For You
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 11:41:02 am »
Wow!!!  :o Karen this is amazing. This is so appreciated. I can't thank you enough. I can't wait to get started.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 08:06:09 pm »
Karen~
I bet they had to stick with Acoustic Neuroma instead of Vestibular Schwannoma because when abbreviated, VS was already taken by Victoria's Secret and they alreay had all those clothes & stuff already printed up...just a thought...

K   ;D

Dave always says, "who is Victoria and WHAT is her secret??"
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 08:26:30 pm »
Karen, thanks for all that info.  Very helpful!  I found yoga to be very helpful at working on my balance - and as long as I don't hurt anyone else in the class, I consider it a good day!   :D

I agree with Kay about most people continuing to call our tumors AN's instead of VS's.  It's easier to say, easier to spell and I think easier to understand for the general population.  I think most people would be able to figure out "acoustic" has something to do with your ear, whereas most people don't know that there is even a part of the body called the "vestibule", never mind where it might be!  I also think most people have heard the term "neuroma", but if you're not diagnosed with a schwannoma or in the medical field, I would imagine no one has any clue what a Schwann cell is in the first place!  Being in the medical field AND being diagnosed with a VS, I know what that all means, but I still refer to it as an AN because I think if it's an easier term for people to remember,  than it's an easier term to educate the public with.  Just my opinion.  Well, also the whole Victoria's Secret thing, but I don't think that Victoria has as many secrets as she'd like us to think!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 11:49:30 pm »
I'm with K and Lori on this one.

My VS will always be an AN - just easier to spell, easier to say, and I think it's less confusing for others in general.  Vestibular schwannoma is too medically technical for me.

It's also been my personal preference not to refer to my AN as a "tumor" - just sounds too scary for me.  I even told my neurotologist who insisted on calling my AN a tumor that even though I know that's exactly what it was, I just can't bring myself to refer to it that way.

My two cents worth - everybody should call it whatever they are comfortable with - even if some choose to refer to it as a "booger" as I've seen here many times.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 06:17:33 pm »
Karen,

You just rawk! Truly... thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-*

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 09:49:34 am »
Karen-

Thanks for the comprehensive yoga guide - very helpful!  I'm a big fan of yoga and recommend it to everyone.

Debbi - ohm... ohm ... ohm...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 11:46:08 am »
Glad your all happy about this as I was happy to do this for you! 

Any questions regarding technique in postures please ask and I'll go into more detail otherwise, enjoy!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear