Author Topic: Yesss!!! Got ok for back to work but is it safe????  (Read 2459 times)

tenai98

Yesss!!! Got ok for back to work but is it safe????
« on: July 07, 2009, 06:36:59 am »
Saw neurosurgeon yesterday for dizziness,low grade headaches and knot in middle of forehead...He said try going back to work to take mind off things..Yesss!!! But work is now on our summer shutdown so I wont be able to try and work til mid Sept. I'm so hoping the dizziness will be gone and I can do my work...I plan on working 3hrs/day 4 days/wk to begin...in classroom...Last time i was in a classroom for 45 mts with 15 5-6 yr olds, I came home with a headache and balance problems...Took a week to overcome that..I'm going to expose myself to situations that are noisy and heres hoping I get accustomed to it so I can stay working...Inclass (driver ed) is less stressful than being incar but more noisy..I want to try to go back to incar once I have my BAHA and I know beyond a doubt that I can keep those precious cargos safe let alone myself and other drivers...I'm one of the few lucky ones who truly enjoys doing their job. 16 yr olds are great kids ( mind u some I would like to toss in front of car and run over them..lol) the majority are great and interesting to listen to..I've been doing this for almost 20 yrs and I love it. 
Here is hoping to a sucessful journey back into workland :)
Jo ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Yesss!!! Got ok for back to work but is it safe????
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 06:41:17 am »
Jo -

I think you'll be just fine, but time will tell.

Easing back into the work force helps.  Take it easy, get enough rest, and go from there.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Vivian B.

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 07:33:06 am »
Hi Jo,

Glad to hear you are considering returning to work. It's a great sign. It will probably take a couple of weeks to get used to the new you but you will be fine and work does get your mind off things. You will probably be too busy to even notice any symptoms. Good Luck!

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

lori67

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 08:03:26 am »
Jo,

I can assure you that 5 minutes in a room full of 15 year olds would leave me with a headache - among other things!   :D  I've never thought it would even be possible for a teacher to go home at the end of the day without a headache!

As long as the doctor knows what kind of work you do, I'd say he feels it's safe for you to return (and safe for everyone else).  At least you have a little bit of time to get used to what you may be in for!

Good luck!  I'll bet you'll feel a lot better just getting back into your usual routine again.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 09:31:17 am »
Jo ~

Although returning to the (driver ed) classroom will very likely be a challenge come September, the fact that you have your doctor's permission to go back has to be reassuring as well as  encouraging.

I think it's great that you really enjoy your job.  So few people do.  Driving instructors do a real service to the community.  My son learned to drive at a driving school and has never had a ticket or accident in 9 years of driving.  The fact that he was almost 21 and paid for the training with his own hard-earned money (at our insistence) probably helped.  Still, I'm positive his driving school training was a major factor in his being a safe driver.  When you return to work, know that you're doing something that is very useful to others.  That might help if the dizziness flares up.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.