Author Topic: eating in public  (Read 2949 times)

deborahgordon

eating in public
« on: January 12, 2014, 01:50:27 pm »
well I finally did it.  I went to a restaurant for dinner and saw my nephew( two birds with one stone).  I have been hiding out away from family embarrassed of my face.  We talk on the phone but I kept making excuses.  My nephew was a little taken back at first seeing me but quickly recovered and conversation flowed.  We were given a corner booth so I felt more  at ease and I seem to be getting better at the eating too.  I cut everything small and kept water at hand.  I even ate french fries!  It felt good to get out and for those who kept staring while we ate, his girlfriend jumped in to say they must be admiring my necklace or my great boots lol, she was a comfort. I saw a great post that said the tumor wasn't going to win it's time I take her words to heart.  have a blessed day, Deborah
Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: eating in public
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 02:16:04 pm »
Hi, Deborah ~

Congratulations on your first venture with public eating!  It seems as if you did O.K. and that is good to learn and very encouraging for you and any post-op AN patient struggling with facial nerve issues that hinder eating normally as well as affecting your appearance.

As you know, time is on your side.  With work, things will improve and, no, the tumor won't win - because you won't let it.  :)

Jim  
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

alabamajane

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 09:26:59 pm »
Congrats Deborah,, it is a very big deal and accomplishment which only those of us affected can truly understand and empathize with you. I am 27 months from surgery and still find it difficult at times; however, once you step out and prove to yourself that you are strong it will get easier. Believe in yourself and remember that improvements are small but continuous.. Hang in there girl,, we are survivors!! Blessings,, Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

deborahgordon

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 09:44:06 pm »
Thank you both for your encouragement
Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.