Author Topic: Flying after AN removal?  (Read 5406 times)

Rc Moser

Flying after AN removal?
« on: September 28, 2006, 07:27:06 pm »
OK, having flown in awhile.  Got some questions if anybody got time to give there comments:   How does the pressure change affect you?, Does the noise of flying cause the Buzzzzz to get worse?  Does it trigger headaches or worse Migraine's?.  Was you wore out after the flight and had to go to bed? did the motion make you dizzy? Any other side effects you care to comment on???  Plane on going to HI. in Jan. would like to know the effects on a long flight, whether it's worth it to go for 6 days if I'm going to be sick 2 days after the flight.   thanks for any comments Rc.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

matti

Re: Flying after AN removal?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 08:28:53 pm »
I have flown 6 times since my AN surgery in 1998. My longest flight was 3 hours. I wear ear planes to help with the pressure change, they look like ear plugs and cost around $8.00. You put them in before the door shuts and take them off once you reach altitude. My doctor says they are not effective, but I think they help me. I do not notice an increase or decrease in my tinnitus and my balance has not been affected. The ear planes do help reduce the engine noise or you can also use noise cancelling head phones. With the single sided deafness and the ear planes, I have to rely on my husband to alert me when someone is talking to me. I have not had any headaches or migraines. I make sure I chew gum to help with the pressure.

Don't worry and have a great trip!!

cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

nannettesea

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 08:29:54 pm »
I have motion sickness now, and feel funky after a long flight.  I got the whooshing sound in my ears for a few days afterward, and was really fatigued.  Depends on how fatigued you are now.  Pressure changes definitely make some things happen.

Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 09:04:31 pm »
The first time I flew after surgery was 4 weeks post-op. Took a big atavan and had people meet me at the gate on both ends. No problemo. Second time, 3 years post-op--no problemo. A little wonkyhead getting through the terminal, but nothing major.
Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Jeanlea

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 09:16:20 pm »
I've taken two trips flying since my surgery and have had no problems.  You may want to choose a seat where your bad ear is against the window.  I did chew gum, even with my facial paralysis.  Have fun in Hawaii.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Taylor

• Ra Ha Ha
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 09:39:45 pm »
No problems here...kinda... i went to Las Vegas with mom and dad about 5 or 6 months after surgery.  I was pretty fatigued but who isn't after a flight like that?  I used a wheelchair some of the time but i'm sure it will be better for you.  I'm jealous.
Taylor
Translab/4.8 cm AN on right side removed 2/3/06
St. Louis Children's Hospital (next to Barnes-Jewish)/ Jeffery Leonard - Neurosurgeon
Cross-facial nerve graft with muscle transplant
Bad coordination on right side - constant pins-and-needles sensation on left side
21 years-old
Illinois

Boppie

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 11:32:46 pm »
I flew round trip South Texas to Chicago 4 months after surgerywith two hour lay overs, no problems, chewed gum on both legs up and back.  I made a second 6 day round trip flight to the same place at 9 months post op and still no problems.  I actually had more energy before and after my trips than I had on pre op. trips. 

However,if you have any risk of leg clots you really should get up from your seat once every 2 hours in flight, or at least do some exercises in your seat.

Listening to the noise and loud instructions at the security gates was a treat though. :P

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 07:00:45 am »
RC,
I flew round trip from the east coast to Albuquergue recently with no problems.  Although I agree with Boppie about the airport noise, I have a hard time understanding the PA system announcements.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 08:57:20 am »
I didn't fly until over 6m onths post op. To my surprise, the pressure in the plane didn't bother me. I live at 7000 ft and I think planes are pressurized at 10000, so maybe that's why. But I went to sea level for a week, and after I got home, back to 7000 ft the pressure was horrible. I did get the wobbles quite bad from the plane ride though. Took a couple days to straighten out a bit.  Dealing with the confusion at the airport was rpobably the most difficult. Sensory overload.

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

vcschaub

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 12:38:21 pm »
I flew from Los Angeles to Orlando ten days after my surgery with no problems. I have since flown to South America and London with no problems. I do chew gum taking off and landing. The doctors at the House Clinic did not have any concerns about my flying home 10 days post op. I am now 10 months post op.
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

Desilu

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 05:01:47 pm »
I flew 10 days after surgery also, from Los Angeles to Chicago, a 4 hour flight. My ears kept popping but they did that before surgery. I have flown again 1 year later back out to L.A. an other than my ears popping again, I had no problems. Have a great trip!!!  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger