Author Topic: Good thoughts for a new AN friend  (Read 5685 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Good thoughts for a new AN friend
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 01:55:55 pm »
thanks Pembo for this update. Thoughts and prayers continue......

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Vivian B.

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 03:52:25 pm »
Thoughts and prayers Pembo, wishing for a successful surgery and a good recovery.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Pembo

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 01:32:56 pm »
Turns out her tumor was "bigger than they thought". My coworker didn't say how big and it is not an AN but a chondroital meningioma (have no idea how to spell that). I did a quick search on it and it is rare! Her surgery was about 8 hours and she was doing okay as of last night but she has no movement on the left side of her body and face.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Kaybo

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 03:17:57 pm »
sounds like it was a good thing they got it when they did...still praying...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 10:17:45 pm »
Thanks for the update, Pembo.

Sorry to hear the tumor was larger than they thought.

I'll keep her in my prayers.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pembo

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2009, 07:49:41 am »
Talked to my coworker yesterday. Her sil has been moved to a nursing home with an excellent rehab. She didn't know much except that she needs intensive rehab. I'm not sure how much of her left side has been affected. My coworker hasn't been to see her yet (she was out of town over the weekend).  But the good news the surgery was a success now she has to deal with all the side effects and try to find her way into her new normal.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2009, 04:09:11 pm »
Saying a wee prayer right now. How scary for her. Hopefully with medication she will get well soon so she can have the surgery. Keep us posted.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2009, 03:58:15 pm »
Pembo ~

Thanks for the update.  I'm sure your concern is appreciated.  Many prayers will be said for your co-worker's sister-in-law as she begins her recovery journey. ...including mine.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

moe

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2009, 11:04:51 pm »
Pembo,
Thanks for the update. I will definitely keep your new AN friend in my prayers.
Hopefully a slow, steady recovery. Does sound like a stroke but she CAN get better.
Sending her healing thoughts,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Pembo

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2009, 07:36:01 am »
A small update, she is at the nursing home and my coworker said that she seems a lot better already. She was on a feeding tube and is now eating on her own. The first time my coworker went to visit her she worked very hard to say I AM MAD and my awesome coworker said to her "GOOD, then you'll fight even harder to get back to normal." What a great thing to say!

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2009, 10:38:09 am »
Sounds like she is a fighter! Sending healing vibes her way!
There is an awesome support group for menginomas called Menginoma Mommas.
Michelle ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2009, 01:57:26 pm »
Pembo ~

I know that we all appreciate the updates on your co-worker's sister-in-law and her recuperation.  Although she apparently has a long way to go, she seems to have the kind of fighting spirit she'll need. I have to agree, that was really a great response from your co-worker to her sister-in-law's "I'm mad" comment.  Being angry after surgery (and complications) can act as motivation, if we channel the anger that way instead of inwardly fuming and lashing out at others.  Unfortunately, not everyone realizes this but I believe it works and, apparently, so does your co-worker. I just hope her sister-in-law realizes it, too, and uses her anger as motivation to 'get her life back'.  I pray that she will.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.