Author Topic: Pulsating sensation on AN side  (Read 4174 times)

gms

Pulsating sensation on AN side
« on: September 22, 2010, 01:06:33 pm »
Hey, I was wanting to know if anyone out there has had any problems with a pulsating sensation on their AN side. I had my tumor removed in 2004 and for the past 2-3 years, I have this sensation that I only know how to describe as "pulsating". It is very annoying and bothersome. It can last for several hours and usually appears when I am tired. Mostly in the evening but has come during the day as well. It can be very depressing for me. I feel overwhelmed by it at times and just want to go lay down with a pillow over my head (although it doesn't help). It is so distracting for me, especially when it occurs around other people, such as at my kids birthday parties or at games.
Any suggestions to alleviate this problem. I haven't noticed is much over the summer, but now as we are approaching fall, I am busier with kids and also have Allergic Rhinitis. I don't know that these things matter much, but it has been worse the past couple of weeks. Today, when I was rocking my youngest child, and feeling very relaxed, it started again. It does seem to occur when I am relaxed and tired too.
If anyone has any thoughts or comments on this, it would be appreciated greatly.

Thank You,
GMS

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Pulsating sensation on AN side
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 03:44:42 pm »
Wish I could help, but I've never had this issue.

My surgery (retrosigmoid) was about 3 1/2 years ago.  I still get the occasional "issue" when I'm overtired - but it comes in the form of wobbly balance and/or dry eye.

Have you checked in with your doctor recently?  And when was your last MRI?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sunfish

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 07:57:31 am »
Lots of us have "weird" symptoms afterwards that are practically impossible to describe.  I've read several threads over the summer of people with "shudders," or "zaps."  When my symptoms are particularly active, I have "waves" of something - part hearing, part inner sensation.  Only when my symptoms are very active now, which is infrequent.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 08:42:20 am »
I have a wave thing going on when I look up too long or feeling stress.

Its like someone has their hand on my volume nob and is turning it up and down over and over. And I have to sit still and calm down for it to go away. My ENT said that my neck has blood vessels that go to my Brain from the front side. And that when I look up I'm stretching those vessels.

Sorry to hear you not whole so long after your treatment. I'm 41 and still have knee problems from high school football.

Hope you figure it all out.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

opp2

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 12:24:49 pm »
I had the wave thing too--for a couple of years...never came back after surgery..pressure on the brain stem and vessels...Sorry that you are having this pulsating. When is your next MRI?
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

gms

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 12:35:27 pm »
I had an MRI this past spring. My Dr. said everything looks fine. We did visit about this sensation a bit and he said that this is a "universal" problem and is not uncommom. I just wanted to know if anyone has actually experienced this and if there was any way to help it.

cin605

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 04:40:30 pm »
Yes...I am over 2 years out and get this its either the heart beat in the AN side or a little like gushing water going through my head plsating to my pulse i guess.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Lizard

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 11:41:54 am »
I have this sometimes, but its only when I'm having issues with pressure in my head that day.  Even wearing pants that are to tight can cause my fluid to build up and cause this pulsing...we have the strangest symptoms.  I figure it keeps things interesting...
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

cin605

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 10:22:00 am »
MMMM...yes...definatly interesting.Google must think i am crazy! ;D
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

joyce perry

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 12:37:18 am »
Concerning pulsating sensation on AN side...I have this sensation almost every evening and sometimes during the day.My surgery was 3 years ago. I have recently found that caffeine increased this sensation. I have tried to eliminate caffeine. I know there is a little caffeine in decaffeinated beverages and in most soft drinks. Having no caffeine helps somewhat. When I have caffeine the sensation intensifies. I hope this might help a little bit.