Author Topic: Catlover´s Postie Story  (Read 30598 times)

nteeman

• Back to Mono
Re: Catlover´s Postie Story
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2009, 08:48:33 am »
Helene,

Just take it one day at a time. Everyday it gets a little bit better. It is normal for you to get tired easily, I remember how it was for me. Don't fight it, if you feel tired take a nap. I know my first few weeks after the surgery I took walks and was very determined to recover as fast as I can. But I soon learned that while this was good I still had to listen to my body and when tired I would rest.

I am now 5 months past my surgery and while I am for the most part fully recovered, I still notice that I am still recovering every day. It is small things but still getting better.

SSD is something that takes time. At first I thought it was no big deal, now I find that this is my biggest issue as far as getting used to the 'new' me post surgery.  I don't like it but I have accepted it, now I have to get used to it.  I have found little comforts using my SSD as a benefit when possible. (for instance at a group dinner I try to sit with people of least interest on my SSD side and, of course, people I like on my good side.  Also I can lay with my good ear on the pillow when I am going to sleep, blocking out all disturbing sounds.)  I continue to seek and find situations where I can use my SSD as a benefit instead of a handicap.

I hope your recovery goes easy and steady, but don't hesitate to rest when your body tells you.

Cheers,

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2009, 08:58:46 am »
Looking good, Helene  ;D

Glad to see you back as a postie!  Things will get better - it just takes time and lots of patience.

With Mats and Elinor taking care of you - in addition to the hospital personnel for a little while longer - you'll "get there".

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

RES

« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2009, 10:23:37 am »
Helene,

I'm glad to hear you're doing well. I'm 8 days post op myself and feeling better everyday. You're pictures are great. Get plenty of rest and keep walking.

Take Care,

Ron
Ron
AN 1.9CM Left Side
Middle Fossa Surgery @ University of Iowa 5/14/09
Drs. Gantz & Woodson (Great job!)
No major Post-op issues.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2009, 10:34:31 am »
Helene,

I'm glad to hear you're doing well. I'm 8 days post op myself and feeling better everyday. You're pictures are great. Get plenty of rest and keep walking.

Take Care,

Ron

Ron,

Forgive me for hijacking Helene's Post, but how are you?

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

largecat

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2009, 10:58:34 am »
Ron - don't tell them anything...  they will never stop asking for more info, and wishing you speedy recovery and being awful nice in general - and soon you find you just HAVE to give them info!  ;D

Just joking...  feel free to use this thread -  ;) Helene is a generous person...

...and I wish you a speedy recovery!
/mats  - "catlovers" husband

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2009, 02:58:08 pm »
Helene/Mats ~

It was a real delight to see our 'catlover' (Helene) posting so soon.  What a trouper!  Double vision immediately post-op is not at all uncommon.  I experienced double vision immediately after my surgery but it resolved within a few days - and I never got to wear a cool-looking eye patch.  Rest - and then rest a bit more - and you'll be home and recovered before you know it!  Mats has been a good sport about posting updates but I think he's ready to hand off to you now.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Keri

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2009, 08:30:42 pm »
Great to see you Helene!
Glad you're doing better.
Your kids are about the ages of mine - I have girl 19 ,boy 18, girl 15. 

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

largecat

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2009, 02:43:45 am »
Good morning! Just spoke to Helene by phone - she wants to go home! Tomorrow, after lunch, I will pick her up, if doctors don't protest...

We are sure healing works better at home - and with family around I'm sure time will pass much faster. There are some small useful things she can do, and she can train walking in the garden instead of a hospital hall. Let's hope for this!

largecat

« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2009, 03:04:47 am »
Not bad if we sum it up:

Tue: Preparations
Wed: Surgery
Thu: F3D No1
Fri: F3D No2
Sat: F3D No3
Sun: Improving
Mon: Want to go home
Tue: Going home?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 04:55:30 am by largecat »

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2009, 05:24:45 am »
We are sure healing works better at home - and with family around I'm sure time will pass much faster. There are some small useful things she can do, and she can train walking in the garden instead of a hospital hall. Let's hope for this!

Keeping fingers crossed that she is sprung free tomorrow!
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2009, 07:09:27 am »
Sure hope it works out for her to go home tomorrow.  I know she will feel better in familiar (and much quieter!) surroundings.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2009, 07:31:37 am »
Not bad if we sum it up:

Tue: Preparations
Wed: Surgery
Thu: F3D No1
Fri: F3D No2
Sat: F3D No3
Sun: Improving
Mon: Want to go home
Tue: Going home?

Not bad at all...actually between the pictures and the posts it is actually fantastic!
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Kaybo

« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2009, 07:59:19 am »
Great news!

K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2009, 10:05:20 am »
It would be great if Helene gets to go home tomorrow  ;D

Wonderful news!!!

I hope this won't mean we "lose" you, Mats.  Could you post something every once in a while?  Your sense of humor has been refreshing  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

largecat

« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2009, 01:14:25 pm »
Hmm.. I'm not sure Helene will allow me to mingle here after she's back. She can be a bit jealous, from time to time...   ;)  and with all the charming ladies here...   

Joking...  or not?

Anyway, I will keep an eye on Helene here on the forum also in the future - make sure she is not making up stories about how hard her life is at home. We will take very good care of her...  We all want her back doing all the household work like she's always done. It's very hard to do all the cleaning, cooking, washing ourselves...  please Helene! Come home!

This time - definately joking!  ;D

Seriously - I WILL pick her up and drive her home after lunch tomorrow! Pics to come - have patience..

(is there no moderator here to control people like me?)