Author Topic: Two Year MRI Results after GK  (Read 5873 times)

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
Two Year MRI Results after GK
« on: October 23, 2010, 06:06:17 pm »
Hi Guys,

I haven't been on here for a while, but I thought I'd update folks about the good news that I received yesterday when I got the results of my two year MRI.  Last year there was some slight swelling which I was told was normal.  This year the AN is starting to decrease in size. ;D ;D ;D 

Last year it was 6.8mm x 5.5mm, and this year it is 5.9mm x 4.9mm.  I also have NOT lost any hearing.  In fact my hearing is "normal" for my age group.  The radiation had killed 70% of my balance nerve, but my balance is almost back to normal.  My doc says the GK is on track.  Will continue to monitor with annual MRIs for three more years, and if all is still good...then I'm essentially "cured".

It was certainly a delight to get good news while in the midst of trying to figure out how to deal with this stupid fibromyalgia that I was diagnosed with last year.  But, the good news about my AN has sure relieved a lot of stress.

Best wishes to all of you radiation folks and to those trying to make your decision about what route to take.

Nancy

P.S.  The ANA started a support group here in Denver last weekend.  We had 11 AN people show up for the first meeting and expect more once the word gets out.

12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Two Year MRI Results after GK
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 08:15:34 pm »
Great news!  Just what we like to hear.  Keep it up.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 06:12:15 am »
Nancy....great news!!  Always happy to hear about positive MRI's. 
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Shan1014

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 07:44:34 am »
I just completed Radiation 3 weeks ago and love hearing such great news.  Keep up the great work!
Shannon
4.1cm AN 85% de-bulked on 3/09/10
Dr. Willis & Dr. Macias- Phoenix Banner Hospital
July 2010 MRI shows fast re-growth
(FSR) Stereotactic Radiation Novalis Tx 9/27/10 5 days
Hearing loss and slight Bells Palsy Left side
Experiencing balance, facial numbness, double vision, headaches, & fatigue

Sheryl

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 11:08:26 am »
That's wonderful - thanks for taking the time to keep us posted and may you have continued shrinkage!!
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

sunfish

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 01:25:54 pm »
Wow!! This is wonderful!! Thanks for the update, and keeping hope alive for us out here!
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 01:58:38 pm »
Nancy ~

Congratulations on your AN shrinkage - and thanks for the great update.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Nancy Drew

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 05:48:41 pm »
Thanks for all of the kind replies.The worst thing about radiation is the "waiting game".You are right GM...annual MRIs are hard.I didn't sleep for a week before I got the results of this MRI.  I came home from the doctor's office, and I slept for six hours.Now it's on with the "waiting game" for the next MRI....but, I feel so much more positive than ever.

ummm...it's snowing in the Colorado Rocky Mountains right now!!!  Skiing, snowshoeing...thank goodness for ski poles to help with balance!!! :D :D :D 
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

free2be

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 05:58:50 pm »
Nancy,

That's great to hear. I'm three weeks out after CK myself. Glad you had a great report, shrinkage is what I'm hoping for; so, keep up whatever you're doing.

Connie
Diagnosed Nov. 2008 Right AN 7 mm x 9 mm
Incremental MRIs enhancing mass
June 2010 1.4 cm x 0.9 cm extension into the CP angle
Pre-CK Stanford measurements 1.6 X 1.1 cm
9/29/10 - 10/1/10 CK completed with Dr Steven Chang and Soltys, Stanford.
6-month thru three year (8/13) follow ups MRI: stable

Nancy Drew

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 06:29:11 pm »
Hi Connie,

Hope all is going well after your CK.  All I can say is keep the faith.  It's just a waiting game, and it can be really hard sometimes.  This forum is great to turn to for support.  You are beginning your post treatment journey...best wishes.  There are so many success stories, and I hope you will be one, too. 

Nancy ;D 
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Tisha

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 09:56:50 am »
Wonderful news!  You said that your balance nerve was 70% gone, but now you have no issues.  During the last two years, have you experienced imbalance as your brain learns to compensate?
1.7 x 1.0 x .9 cm (diagnosed Oct 2008)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1.1 cm  (July 2010-swelling)
1.5 x .9 x .9 cm  (Mar 2013 - 5 yr MRI)
Cyberknife at Stanford, week of 1/12/09 -  Drs. Chang and Soltys

patt

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 12:46:38 pm »
Nancy ---

Everyone is right --- we love to hear good news.    When we are on here for the first time,  we never think we are going to be at the point of reporting how we are doing after the fact.     I have been able to do the same ----   I had a 3 month after my last treatment and that report told us that there was a slight decrease in size.   That sure gave me hope!!!!

Thanks to everyone that visit and share their experience  --- we need that.

Again, Nancy thanks for sharing!!

Patt from Minnesota
Patt  - age 63
Diagnosed - 3/22/2010  -- sudden hearing loss Rt ear
Right ear -- 2.7cm
Left ear -- limited hearing
Will be having "FSR" 
Starting date is June 1st, 2010
30 treatments  --  6 sites
July 12, 2010 -- Completed "FSR" treatments
Oct 2010 - MRI -Slight decrease in size

Nancy Drew

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 02:24:22 pm »
That's great news Patt.  Keep on hanging in there for more good news.

Tisha, it is possible that the rest of my balance nerve has died.  I guess I would know that if I had another balance test, but I don't think I need to really know now.  When I found out I had lost most of my balance nerve, I went to vestibular therapy for a while.  The therapist gave me some exercises to do, but I wasn't very good about doing them.  When I did the exercises, they usually made me sick...bad vertigo, nausea, headache.  I worked a lot on tracking with my eyes, and it seemed to help a lot.  Gradually I noticed that my balance was getting better...or maybe I have just learned to compensate.  I notice that I skim the wall with my hand when I am going down a hall, always use the hand rail, and I try to limit my time standing in crowded situations.  So, I think I am just getting use to it.  When I am tired, my balance seems to get worse.  I fall sometimes when I am not being careful...but, I have always just ended up with bruises.  I can do most things...drive my car, bike, snowshoe, ski, hike, walk and go to the gym.  I use poles, however, when I hike and snowshoe.  I have to look at the ground when walking or hiking because I forget that I have to be a little more careful now.  However, my doc said my balance might get back to totally normal in time.  But, I am satisfied for now because I know it could be a lot worse.

Nancy from Denver!!!
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

cindyj

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 02:39:25 pm »
Nancy!  Hey, there!  Great to hear from you and with such great news!  You had such a time and I know the fibromyalgia was yet another bit of bad news for you...but sounds like now you can at least not worry so much about the AN!  So glad for you! 

Enjoy the snow...75 here  8)

Hugs,

Cindy

PS - How's Steven?
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Joey

• Change could be right around the corner.
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 10:02:28 am »
 :)Hi Nancy - it's good to hear you are doing so well, despite those bumps in the road.  Sounds like you are overcoming the battle and that is encouraging for the rest of us and makes for good reading!  Not sure if you remember me, but we had GK about the same time.  I will be going down to Mayo the day before Thanksgiving for my 2 year check.  I had kind of forgotten about the AN which is always a sign of what, "normalcy"?  I'm sure I'll hear soon how I am, but doing great as far as I know.

Keep on with the updates and enjoy those winter sports to the fullest!!   Regards, Joey
Left sided AN.  GK over and done with at Mayo Clinic on
10-2-08; according to Dr. Link, AN measured 15 mm in greatest posterior fossa diameter; used 11 isocenters of radiation to cover tumor volume of 2.3 cm3.  Follow up on 4-14-09 indicated necrosis, no change in tumor size and less hearing, darn