Author Topic: Silver Sonnet's Surgery  (Read 2814 times)

Silver Sonnet

Silver Sonnet's Surgery
« on: July 19, 2011, 10:05:24 am »
Hi, all--sorry it's taken me so long to fill you in on my surgery, but I haven't been energetic lately :)

My 3+ CM right-side tumor was removed by ret-sig on July 6.  Drs Asthagiri and Kim at the National Institutes of Health removed it using ret-sig.  Surgery was a complete success!  The tumor was completely removed, and the facial nerve was completely preserved.  I'm so thrilled!  Because of my age (54) and the fact that I had facial numbness and tingling prior to the surgery, I was sure I'd have problems, but I didn't.

I can't say enough about how great everyone at NIH is.  Dr. Asthagiri even washed my hair himself after the surgery.  I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that all of this was free--even plane tickets to the hospital for me an my hubby AND a room for him at the lodge while I was admitted.  If you have NF 2, I strongly encourage you look into the study at NIH.  (Details in the NF @ thread.)

Because I live over 700 miles from NIH and there are no neurological services near where I live, I stayed in the hospital a full week.  I flew home from MD on the 14th and have spent the last few days sitting around, letting my kids take me shopping, etc.

As for how I feel, it's hard to say.  It's turns out I'm an especially bad invalid.  I'm endlessly annoyed because I can't see my incision without creating a fun house of mirrors.  I'm under doctor's orders not to bend over, pick up anything heavier than a magazine, or get hot.  I live in Mississippi, and I have 13 grand kids, so that all seems pretty impossible, but if I cheat at all, I feel awful the next day.  I'm trying to comply, but it isn't fun.  I'm used to recovering quickly and getting on with my life, but the doctors say even if I feel perfectly fine, I have to follow orders.  (Maybe I'm not good at following orders, either :P

Mostly, I'm just happy it's over (for now) and glad, glad, glad to be home!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Silver Sonnet's Surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 10:29:38 am »
Silver Sonnet .....

So glad your surgery is behind you and you are well on your way to a good recovery, it sounds like.

As for being a "bad invalid," many of us can identify who were used to going at top speed ..... type A personalities.  Please do listen to your body and when a "fatigue wall" hits, sit down, or better yet, lie down and rest.  Often for me a quick 10 minute rest will do the trick.

It is essential that you not bend over or pick up anything heavy for at least a month.  The last thing you want is a CSF leak.  Not picking up my sweet 2-year-old granddaughter was the most difficult order to obey.

Best wishes for a continued uneventful recovery.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

moe

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 10:53:58 am »
Silver Sonnet,
What a great post op report! I can't believe your Dr washed your hair after the surgery. Am I reading that correct? ;D You lucky lady :)
And I don't remember anyone saying their doctor told them not to bend over or pick up anything heavier than a magazine. That is very important, and overlooked I think.
Let us know how your recovery continues, OK?
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 01:50:47 pm »
Hi, Silver Sonnet ~

Thanks for that tremendously positive update!  Definitely worth waiting for.  I'm glad you're home, too.  Recovery is not only faster but more pleasant at home, despite distractions.  Like you, I enjoyed a complication-free AN surgery and was anxious to resume my normal routine.  I did, with a few precautions (no lifting, etc).  Being naturally impatient, just under 2 weeks after my surgery (on a scheduled follow-up visit, which went well) I asked my doctor if I could resume driving.  He was a bit surprised but because I had passed all of his neurological tests, e.g. "follow my finger", he gave me his permission (with my wife a a 'witness').  I drove home (30 miles - mostly highway) and 'never looked back'.  I was playing miniature golf with my wife and son that weekend (10 days post-op) and did pretty good.  My wife and I took daily afternoon walks at a local park for about a month after my release from the hospital, as a sort of balance therapy.  We used to throw a ball back-and-forth, too.  By four weeks post-op, I felt pretty well recovered and began to do things like wash the car, etc.  I still tire relatively easily but other than that, I'm good.  You will be too.  Just use common sense (avoid lifting , all-day excursions, etc) and I'm confident your recovery will proceed apace.

Jim    
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 06:42:20 pm »
Glad you are doing well.  I had my kids take pictures with the cell phone so I could see it........I was a bit taken aback when I saw how big.....wow, but out of site out of mind.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

Heidi in Omaha

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 09:36:12 pm »
I love all of these posts! So helpful, informational, and very encouraging! Silver Sonnet, not only do I love your name, but also the fact that your surgery went so well. Clarice, I have a two year-old daughter I can't imagine not being able to scoop up for a while after my surgery. I am also a bit "type A," so your reply made me chuckle and nod in agreement all at the same time. Jim, I pray that my surgery and recovery can be anywhere near successful as yours! Wow! River girl, I am really creeped out thinking about my future scar and am already plotting ways to keep it "out of sight, out of mind." Let me know if you've got any tricks! ;)