Author Topic: May 7th is the BIG DAY!  (Read 1119 times)

Jwh

May 7th is the BIG DAY!
« on: April 22, 2009, 01:31:54 pm »
Hi,

I scheduled my 3 month post op MRI for May 7th.  I'll go right after the MRI to meet with my doctor to get the results.  I must admit, I'm nervous.  I thought I already had this done years ago ( Oh wait - I did!).  Second time is a charm right?  So what exactly are they looking for at 3 months?  Complete tumor removal?  Are they looking at the healing?  At this point, does it show scar tissue and they use it as a baseline?  I know last time it was the whole "scar" tissue vrs. regrowth issue!  Let's hope all is clear!!!!!

Jen
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
Re: May 7th is the BIG DAY!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 01:48:10 pm »
My first will not be until March 2010.  I asked my physician because I wanted to see that it was all out.  He said he wanted to wait a year because it would show other things, like scar tissue, if done too early.

I have read on this site though that some doctors use an early one for a baseline, as you suggested.  I kind of like that idea, so you can see the trends without waiting 2 years :).

Good luck on May 7th, we'll be praying for a clean MRI!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 03:15:48 pm »
Good luck Jen!!

So, it took how many years before regrowth? Almost six? It hasn't even been four years for me yet and I know that they left part of it in there.

There is a woman that I met just after my surgery in '05 that had AN surgery back in the '70s, back before there were even MRIs.

I met with her for lunch at the company she and my girlfriend worked at and she apprised me of what to expect during my recovery. She was in her '60s, and in great shape, working in customer service.

A few years ago she reported to us that she was experiencing regrowth and had opted for surgery. The point being that the regrowth didn't occur for close to thirty years after her initial surgery. I haven't spoken with her since her latest treatment.

I don't think we'll ever be out of the woods with this stuff.

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

kathylittlejohncobb

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 03:42:45 pm »
Jen,
Wishing you the best on your MRI!  Please keep us posted!
Hugs to you,
Kathy
Retrosigmoid at House/St. Vincent's in Los Angeles 4-4-06; partial hearing saved on AN side;
Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Rick Friedman, my heroes!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 03:49:19 pm »
Jen ~ 

Many folks will be rooting (and praying) for you on May 7th.  :)

I added your MRI date to the AN Treatment Calendar.  http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d07/05/2009?authenticate=&display=M&style=B  Feel free to change anything if you wish.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 05:58:51 pm »
Jen, I'll be thinking of you on May 7th, that is also the day for my one-month post-surgery check.  So yours was on the same ear both times?  Had they left some of the tumor in the first surgery?  The Drs. left a smidge on my facial nerve and I have to admit its a little unnerving thinking that, although rare, I'd have to endure the surgery again.  Glad to know someone who survived it twice.  ;)  Best wishes for a clean and clear MRI, finding only a brain.   ;D
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 06:30:53 pm »
I'll be thinking you, Jen!  I can just bet you are a bundle of nerves... I know I will be when my time comes up!!!  Ah well, you are one terrific lady who just plain deserves to have smooth sailing from here on out!!! 

All the best,

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 10:24:23 pm »
Good luck, Jen

Keep us posted.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

bell

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 08:44:08 am »
Jen,
I had a 3month MRI after retrosigmoid and then again at 2 years.  I think I will always be anxious knowing the unknown and praying it will not grow back.
Good luck.  Bell