Author Topic: Nearly 5 months out and twitching ......  (Read 1125 times)

Denisex2boys

Nearly 5 months out and twitching ......
« on: March 09, 2009, 02:00:54 pm »
Hi everyone .... yes, I have been MIA for awhile - but I am now working 2 full days a week and the rest 8:30 - 2:30 - going for long, long walks every day for the balance.

Eye still an issue - I can blink but still no tears, balance seems better on some days than others ... but this 'new' thing just started - whilst the outside of my face is back to 85% I do still have internal numbness (tongue, side of cheek, etc.) - my lower mouth (near corner) started twitching today - not constant - but there is obvious movement when it twitches which is kinda freaking me out - - would this just be the nerves waking up?

The back of my head is still somewhat frozen, however my hair hurts (feels like I have had my hair in a really, really tight pony-tail)

Is this still all the norm?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 02:32:14 pm by Denisex2boys »
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

vjgfamily

Re: Nearly 5 months out and twitching ......
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 02:11:51 pm »
Hi, Denise.

Yes, the twitching is normal.  It may move around your face a bit, also.  In my case, it went on for a couple of years, gradually fading away.  I just thought of it as a sign of healing!

Hang in there.
Verl
AN Surgery in 1988 by Jack L. Pulec in LA.  Loss of hearing in right ear.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 02:24:27 pm »
I'll second the "normal" diagnosis.  What I've been able to piece together over the last several months with off and on twitching is that the twitching I notice almost always precludes more movement.  I had even asked my doctor about it when it first started happening and he said that he felt it was the final stages of the nerve "waking up" in area..  Sure enough, while the twitches are annoying at times, I also know they're pretty short lived and usually mean that more movement is coming my way. 

I currently get a pretty good snarl at times...usually exactly the wrong times to be snarling at someone.  ;)

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

vjgfamily

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 02:25:08 pm »
I know what you mean by "my hair hurts".  Isn't that a weird feeling?  It too will improve over time.

When I cry, the eye on my good side is the first to tear-up, and then the AN eye may or may not tear-up, depending on the severity of the situation.  Same thing with my nose-running.

This is just my experiences, however.  I'm sure it's different for others.

Peace.
Verl
AN Surgery in 1988 by Jack L. Pulec in LA.  Loss of hearing in right ear.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 05:24:49 pm »
Yes, I had the twitching also and I took it as a positive sign.  For me, it disappeared after a while. The tight feeling in the head thing is "almost" gone, but just barely.  Some days I do feel it and I guess that's normal too.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

mk

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 07:09:38 pm »
It is really strange that you guys mentioned about the "tight" hair feeling (or that "hair hurts"). I have had this feeling for some time now, but I never thought it could be attributed to the AN - I suffer from eczema during the dry winter months, so I thought it is because of that. So what on earth could be the association with the AN? Marci, do you think it is the trigeminal nerve (again)?

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 08:46:20 pm »
Marianna,
The tight head thing (just on the right side) is definitely a post-op thing and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a trigeminal element to it.  I also feel like there's a tube in my right ear (not) and other strange things, and I know those are trigeminal.  If I wasn't so old I'd go back to school to learn neuroscience.  It's fascinating, though at times I wish I was watching it on the Discovery channel and not experiencing it personally.   ;)
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.