Author Topic: Bald Spot!!  (Read 5814 times)

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: Bald Spot!!
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 03:13:10 pm »
Just thought I'd update my own post.  I've come to the late conclusion that what I had was classic alopecia areata.  It is probably not directly related to having had GK.  The place where the bald spot was,  is now filled with white hair.  I look like a white tailed deer!  Except it doesn't stick up in the back.  It's very weird.  I went to the Alopecia site and it says this:

AA is not contagious. It is an autoimmune disease in which the body's immune system attacks itself, in this case, the hair follicles. The cause is not known. A person's particular genetic makeup combined with other factors triggers AA.

It's also disturbing to learn that this could happen again.  Or not.  Maybe this is my one-time experience with alopecia.  I hope.  Don't you think this is curious that this happened after my AN treatment?  Well, a year afterward.  But, still.  And it's back there, in between the two back pin sites.  Hmmmmmm.  Coincidence?  I wonder..

So now I can add AA to the list.  Another "A" thing. 

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 04:29:42 pm »
Sue:

I had 26 FSR treatments.  The oncologist who helped map my treatments told me that 'I might lose some hair'.  I groaned (I have a full head of hair) but accepted this as inevitable.  The day I was to begin the treatments, he casually mentiioned that he had adjusted the beams/intensity and that I probably wouldn't lose any hair.  I didn't.  I was very grateful, and I'm a guy, so even I can relate to your angst.  :)  My barber (a woman who has cut my hair for the past 30 years) has told me that my hair is in good shape, so I'm not too concerned.

Your Alopecia Areata seems to be uncommonly coincidental with your radiation treatment.  However, since the exact cause of 'AA' remains unknown, it could well have been 'triggered' by the radiation.  I trust the lost hair will continue to re-grow and this won't happen again.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 12:19:48 pm »
I sure hope your right, Jim, because after visiting the AA site, I was momentarily taken aback and quite bummed, actually.    My "gut" tells me that this is a one time deal and that I won't have any further problems, because....well, just because I guess!   It happened a year after my GK, but still....I am thinking somehow it's s a consequence of GK.   In any case, it sure is strange to look at the back of your head and see this one area of white, white hair!  I"m letting my hair grow longer in the back, and then it won't be so noticeable as it gets covered up.  I'm going to see how that works. 

Thanks for your response.  Glad you didn't lose any hair.  My son, age 35, has genetics against him, and he's already planning on hair transplants!  I guess it works, but I wish he'd just accept the inevitable gracefully.  My dad was bald, my husband is bald, and I don't think much about it myself.  But then, I'm not the bald one, am I?  At least not yet!!  ;)

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 02:49:45 pm »
Hi Sue,

My AN doctor said that could be a side effect of radiosurgery. Oh ya, I remember the 50 cent coins, heck.....I remember the silver dollar - YIKES!

I am glad it is hidden. Maybe even your hairdresser didn't know for sure. Has your doctor seen it? My doc said if I did get it, it could be temporary.

Wishing you well.

Mary 8)
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK