Author Topic: Help Please  (Read 5046 times)

Boo68

Help Please
« on: December 23, 2015, 09:02:28 am »
Hi everyone

I'm waiting for my ENT hospital appointment in January.  I have have some issues with my right ear, firstly it started with pain behind my ear and fullness, this could be a sharp pain or a dull ache.  Sometimes I get a sharp pain right at the top of my head but mainly behind my ear.  After a while this developed into tinitus in my right ear only which is very high pitched.  I've had the usual checks and have had a hearing test and this has shown I have a hearing loss in this year.  Does this sound like an AN?  I guess I'm going to be tested for it.x

jsanders1379

Re: Help Please
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 03:36:15 pm »
Symptoms vary so much for different people. Unilateral hearing loss is a sign of AN. Are you getting an MRI with contrast? That would give you some answers...
Jeanne
Dx 10-25-2012
5x6x4 mm
3-27-2013 MRI 9x6x6 mm
GK  5-7-13 Swedish Hospital, Denver

Boo68

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 04:25:49 am »
Hiya, I will not know what I will be having until I have seen my consultant.  I am in the UK and there is a four week waiting list to bee seen in the NHS.  I do not have vertigo but I do sometimes veer to one side when walking sometimes which is a bit odd ::)

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 07:44:47 pm »
Hiya, I will not know what I will be having until I have seen my consultant.  I am in the UK and there is a four week waiting list to bee seen in the NHS.  I do not have vertigo but I do sometimes veer to one side when walking sometimes which is a bit odd ::)

Feel free to read my story at the link below. I had the veering (which I call lurching) along with the loss of hearing and tinnitus.

I suggest you push for an MRI with contrast when you get to see your ENT.

But yes, unfortunately, your symptoms are similar to those reported by our members.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 11:59:15 pm »
Hello there! Thank you for stopping by and checking us out!  First and foremost, and I know this will seem impossible, but try not to be too anxious about the results when you do eventually get seen by your ENT.  I have seen a lot of people come on here with all the symptoms of an AN and then they get MRI's and find out there is no AN.  These things are not really common.  So again, until you get results one way or another try to relax and let things flow until then.  Either way, we'll be here for you if you have any questions or just want to vent...we are very good at listening! :)  We are not doctors here, just people who all have been through some major traumatic events and are in various stages of pre and post AN removal.  There are 1000's of us here, and each one of us has a different story.  I really hope you don't have AN but if you do, you have already found the best place to be! Good luck and keep us updated!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

ANGuy

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 08:02:03 am »
Hello there! Thank you for stopping by and checking us out!  First and foremost, and I know this will seem impossible, but try not to be too anxious about the results when you do eventually get seen by your ENT.  I have seen a lot of people come on here with all the symptoms of an AN and then they get MRI's and find out there is no AN.  These things are not really common.  So again, until you get results one way or another try to relax and let things flow until then.  Either way, we'll be here for you if you have any questions or just want to vent...we are very good at listening! :)  We are not doctors here, just people who all have been through some major traumatic events and are in various stages of pre and post AN removal.  There are 1000's of us here, and each one of us has a different story.  I really hope you don't have AN but if you do, you have already found the best place to be! Good luck and keep us updated!
Jay

I agree.  There are other problems that can effect the inner ear and cause the symptoms you are having.  I guess with a government run single payer system you are just going to have to wait it out.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

keithmac

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 09:50:50 pm »

I'm a Brit too (here in the US over winter) and have had a diagnosed a.n. since 2013 with symptoms beginning late 2008, symptoms similar to your own.  ANA is a great resource for individual experiences and, for Brits, the BANA gives information specific to our NHS - I'm a registered member there too.  You might want to take a look.

My first MRI was carried out 2013 in a mobile unit that comes from QMC, Nottingham followed shortly after by another in my local hospital in Mansfield.  The latter one used Gadolinium, presumably to get as clear a picture as possible.