Author Topic: Another stupid question  (Read 1905 times)

alwaysthere

Another stupid question
« on: May 28, 2009, 12:47:58 am »
Was wondering, are you allowed to keep your artificial fingernails on for surgery?
I know no polish, but what about the nails?

Patty
Diagnosed 1/09 1.6cm left side
5/09 2cm
hearing & balance problems
Surgery Date June 25, 2009 St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester, Mn
Surgery went great, can still hear!!!!

"This too shall come to pass and life will go on"

jazzfunkanne

Re: Another stupid question
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 02:26:59 am »
no you cant, as they have too see your fingernails, i think its something to do with the oxgen levels
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Lilan

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 05:44:54 am »
They told me it was OK as long as no polish was on them (assuming they are clear acrylics, I suppose, and not something with a color to it that would hide the nails).

But on this I would definitely check with the individual institution; in fact, I am going to double-check just to be sure myself!
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

TP

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 05:54:30 am »
That is not a stupid question, it is a good question. We ladies (and men too I guess) like our nails and toes looking nice. The one thing that made my day when I was in the hospital the three times were the comments the nurses made on my toe nails. I had a pedicure prior to my first surgery and again before my third visit to the hospital. I looked so bad physically but at least my toes looked very nice and since I was laying the whole time with my head elevated I got to look at my toes as well. These simple little things can make for a nice day sometimes.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 06:56:17 am »
Patty -

there are no stupid questions on the forum.  So, please ask us anything  :)

The answer to your question is - it depends on the hospital where you are having your surgery.  Some go by the oxygen levels that Jazzfunkanne mentioned, some monitor you in other ways.  When you go for your pre op testing, you should ask.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Cheryl R

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 07:32:34 am »
I will say no artificail fingernails as where I worked it was not allowed on a surgical.      Now maybe Mayo is different and I did manage to get a decent O2 sat on some who were non surgicals and had them on.       You will have to ask and is there some kind of number you have to call and ask questions so could take care of it at home before you go if need be.                      Do you have any paper that you were given with some info on it and maybe a phone no.
                                                        Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

dmseibert

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 08:09:36 am »
I wish I had asked this question before i went for surgery. I took mine off and another lady that had surgery the day after I did left hers on..(polish and all). I then, in a quest to get back to normal, went to get them back on the day after I got out of the hospital. Not a good experience but they look so nice. I would definitely ask when  you go for your pre-op testing.....Good luck with everything...