Author Topic: How much hair do they shave?  (Read 12394 times)

alwaysthere

How much hair do they shave?
« on: May 23, 2009, 02:39:01 pm »
I keep my hair really short and was wondering how much do they shave when you have surgery? My brother in Texas thinks I need to shave the whole head ( which is tempting). The grandson thinks I need to get a mohawk (yea right!). I'm thinking of keeping my hair on top and having the sides and back clipped really really short. To tell you how short my hair is, it was cut 3 weeks ago and it is now about 1/4in on the sides and back and about 2in on top. I need other opinions please.

Patty
Diagnosed 1/09 1.6cm left side
5/09 2cm
hearing & balance problems
Surgery Date June 25, 2009 St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester, Mn
Surgery went great, can still hear!!!!

"This too shall come to pass and life will go on"

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
Re: How much hair do they shave?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 02:54:27 pm »
Don't worry, Patty.  They don't go crazy when it comes to shaving your hair.  Most drs. are very aware of how much women dread having a big bald patch to worry about.  In my case it was a tennis ball sized patch behind my ear.  I would really think twice about shaving ALL your hair off before surgery! If your hair is as short as you say, it won't be long before your surgery patch catches up to the rest of your hair.  I think there are pics on the forum of new incisions, so you can probably find one if you look around.  Good luck!

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 03:25:44 pm »
Patty ~

My wife has hair about as short as yours..  We both love it!

As Priscilla noted, they don't shave off much hair.  Although a pre-op head shave would obviate the issue of having a bald spot, it isn't really necessary, unless you wanted to, anyway.  I have a short man's haircut and my surgical 'bald spot' was unnoticeable within about 3 weeks of my surgery. By 6 weeks , it was all grown in.  My barber tells me that the average person's hair (male or female)  grows at from 1 to 2" per month, with the average about 1½" per month so even with very short hair, your incision bald spot should be hidden by newly grown hair within a month of your surgery.  Let us know what you decide to do.  Thanks.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 03:53:28 pm »
For me they shaved about a 2 inch strip behind my ear, extending from the nape of my neck to the top of my ear.  My hair is longer on top so they moved it aside so that it covered some of the incision.  It was no biggie and I have short-ish hair.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 04:22:01 pm »
Patty .....

From the sounds of things your hair is already very short, which is the way you like it and are more comfortable.  Since your surgery is scheduled for next month, you will have warm weather months (unless you leave in the Southern Hemisphere) afterwards.  I would vote on just keeping your hair like you usually do.

As others have said, most surgeons lift back your hair and only shave the 2" strip or so that they need to have clear.  By the time I returned home from my out-of-state surgery, my friends said "I thought you had surgery on your head."  So, I had to lift up my hair for them to see it.

Because of your short hair (and as is the case with most men), your incision area will be more noticeable until your hair grows back, which usually happens very quickly.  If you are like many of us, you will probably be among family and friends for most of that "growing back in" time anyway.    :)

Keep us posted.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 09:45:33 pm »
i had the same experience as clarice - i had long hair so when they shaved behind my ear (about 2 inches out), people were like "eh? you had brain surgery?" - and i had to lift up my hair to show them the shaved section and my battle scar.

but 3 mths later, when my shaved hair grew back and i decided to cut my hair really really really short (really short at the back and sides, but longer/spikey at the top). i call that the sharon stone's short haircut - chic and pixie!!
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 09:28:31 am »
Patty -

they don't shave a lot - in fact, most docs only shave what is absolutely necessary - so don't worry.  The description of your current haircut sounds like the doctor's "styling" will fit right in  ;)  Although if you want  to go the mohawk route, to score some points with your grandson, you could  :D

I was concerned that my whole head had to be shaved during my surgery - and truth be told, my kids were horrified when they thought that would be the case - but that isn't going to happen.

I also found post op that my hair grew back very rapidly - even around the incision.  In fact, by the time I had my stitches removed (9 days post op) my incision was barely noticeable.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 07:20:39 am »
Patty,

Thought I'd chime in.  My hair is mediium length and my doc shaved a strip about 2 1/2  inches wide.  when my hair was down, no one would have guessed any part of my head was shaved.  I was missing a chunk on the right side that just looked like a bad haircut.  Since you wear your hair so short, IMO, you should just leave it and let the docs do their thing, your hair will grow back before you know it.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

dmseibert

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 02:14:04 pm »
Guess I will let everyone no my experience with the hair issue. The doctors and nurses told me they would only shave a small patch behind my ear and I woke up with the whole back of my head shaved. I am almost 3 months post op now and still trying to figure out if I just want to cut it all off. I wore my hair short and spiky for years and more recently tried to grow it out a little. I too was worried about my hair and went to the salon and had the back shaved as close as possible two days before surgery.  That turned out to be a waste of my money... With all that said I guess it is only hair and it will grow back..   ;D

alwaysthere

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 03:58:10 pm »
Thanks for the responses. It does give me an idea on what they do. I'll probably just have it cut the way I always do, but maybe a little shorter on the sides and back. My hairdresser is a really nice person and she will come to my house and straighten up anything that is messed up after I get home. As she said, it's no big deal, I can fixed it!!

Patty
Diagnosed 1/09 1.6cm left side
5/09 2cm
hearing & balance problems
Surgery Date June 25, 2009 St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester, Mn
Surgery went great, can still hear!!!!

"This too shall come to pass and life will go on"

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 09:18:36 pm »
Thanks for asking the question Patty. Not that I have much hair to worry about. I'm considering just shaving my head just to freak my kids out..... ;D
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 09:20:33 pm »
Sounds like a plan, Bob.

In addition to freaking out the kids, it might get you some sympathy from others post op  ;)
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LOIS

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 10:27:43 pm »
 Patty,

I guess I'm the odd one here.  My dr. just parted my hair and did the surgery, then stapled over my hair.  I had asked him and thats what he told me he was going to do and I thought he was just kidding but thats what he did.  The first dr. I saw I also asked that question and he told me he would be shaving my whole head.  I didn't like him, for other reasons not the shaving part, so it never happened.  My dr. was very upfront with everything.  If you ask him, I'm sure he will tell you the way he does it.  I guess they all have their own way of doing things.

Lois
Diagnosed 07/08   1.2 x 1.1 cm. left AN Retosigmoid surgery 08/08 with Dr. Bartels  @ Tampa General Hospital