Author Topic: Have you had other tumors?  (Read 4745 times)

alwaysthere

Have you had other tumors?
« on: April 17, 2009, 07:35:32 am »
I am curious to know if anyone else here has had tumors in other parts of your body. I have had so far a total of 5 tumors removed. I have had 2 from each breast and a baseball size one from my ovary. They have all been benign thank god. I have also had fibroids taken off the bottom of both feet. I would like to know if there is any connection. I have always wondered why my body forms these things since as far as I know there is no history in my family. This is one of the questions I want to ask when I get to see the Dr's at Mayo.

Patty ???
Diagnosed 1/09 1.6cm left side
5/09 2cm
hearing & balance problems
Surgery Date June 25, 2009 St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester, Mn
Surgery went great, can still hear!!!!

"This too shall come to pass and life will go on"

GRACE1

Re: Have you had other tumors?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 07:45:33 am »
That is a very good questions - one I have wondered about for some time.  At the one support meeting I attended, someone asked this question.  I had a bladder tumor removed about 1.5 yrs after AN diagnosis - benign, thank goodness. 

Please let us know what the Mayo docs say about this.

Grace 
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 08:15:34 am »
Hi Patty:  I had my 1st benign tumor age 17, left breast,  then at age 33, a benign tumor wrapped around my left clavicle.
This AN was the 1st right sided benign tumor.  I am the only one in my family that has had tumors.

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 08:22:12 am »
Patty ~

Your question is relevant and may be some sort of indicator - but not in my case.  I was 63 at the time of my diagnosis and never had a tumor in my body.  Very thorough pre-op testing found no other tumors.  Now that the AN has been addressed (surgery + irradiation), I remain tumor-free.  I hope this is a good sign.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 08:39:58 am »
I had to have my thyroid removed in 2006 because of growths - but I knew that I would have to at some point as my Grandmother and Mother both had thyroid issues.  I also had a lot of trouble keeping pregnancies (4 miscarriages) and one of them was a Molar Pregnancy - I was pregnant but also hed a "growth" (tumor) the size of a canteloupe and the tumor took all of the nutirients away from the "good" fetus.  They actually think that I was probably pregnant with twins and my body "threw one off" and it started growing.  Weird, huh?  Of course, since I specialize in Strange Things.

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 11:12:01 am »
I haven't had any other than my AN.

Jan

OOOOHHH,  sorry for the hijack Patty, but I just noticed your profile picture.  Cute kitty!  We have 3 - one named Angel which is pretty much a misnomer  ::)
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

alwaysthere

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 11:34:13 am »
Jan,

She's called my angel because we had to have her put to sleep at age 17 the week before Christmas. I really really miss her because she loved to snuggle with you. Our first cat we lost at age 191/2. This is the first time in 28 years of marriage that we have not had a cat and it sure is different.

Patty
Diagnosed 1/09 1.6cm left side
5/09 2cm
hearing & balance problems
Surgery Date June 25, 2009 St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester, Mn
Surgery went great, can still hear!!!!

"This too shall come to pass and life will go on"

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 11:37:53 am »
I have a genetic disposition to lipomas. (fatty skin tumors) They are small, benign, and I have a few on my arms, thighs and torso. If I didn't show them to you, you'd never notice that I had them. Once, one on my side got about as large as a golf ball and I had it removed. The operation was in the doc's office with local anesthetic. When he finshed he told me that it would probably grow back but not as large. He was correct. This was many years ago.

When I first met with my neurosurgeon for my AN surgery, I informed him of this and asked if my lipomas were in any way related to my AN. He replied that there was no known connection between lipomas and ANs.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

TP

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 11:48:29 am »
I had a tumor in my right breast removed in 2000 and have some in my left as well but have not had removed.  I started getting cycsts on my body and have wondered if they are related to my Acoustic Neuroma. In my early 20's i had foot surgery and had neuroma on both feet removed. Not that I am glad to hear other folks have had similar situations I am glad to know that I am not alone.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 12:51:39 pm »
I had fibroids and had to have a hysterectomy and my son is prone to lipomas, if that means anything.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

MissMolly

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 01:58:21 pm »
My husband tells me I'm "lumpy".  Cysts, fibroids and two years ago I had a small tumor removed from under my pinkie fingernail.  It was on a nerve and hurt like the blazes.  I think this AN is just another lumpy bump.

Molly
Diagnosed 3/09 1.1cm tumor - 4/17/09 - had grown to 1.2
Age 61 - married with three adult kids
MidFossa surgery completed June 22nd
Mass General/Mass Eye and Ear - Martuza and McKenna
The tumor has grown back.  Now working with Mass General.  Dr. Loeffler feels I am not a candidate for proton beam.

amymeri

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 03:55:03 pm »
Multiple benign tumors can be caused by neurofibromatosis.  Just a thought.
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 04:22:13 pm »
I grow things, too!  Breast, ovaries, uterus - all seem to thrive on producing unwanted cysts that cause much excitement.  I even had a bone cyst that had to be chisled off by a plastic surgeon just above my eyebrow. I didn't do anything about it until I could actually see it, because the procedure sounded so dreadful to me.  Little did I know that was just the tip of the iceberg before the AN surgery!!!  Ah well.  It does make me a bit concerned about regrowth of this darn AN fragment, but I'll deal with it when / if the time comes, I guess!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 04:22:29 pm »
I had a fibromystosis in my upper arm. Removed in the doctor's office - twice. The first time he didn't get it all and it came back. The 2nd time got it, though, as it's been 2 yrs now and it hasn't come back. benign. (thank God)

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

kabby

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 08:07:31 pm »
I have had several large lipomas on my upper leg.  One was as large as a baseball and came back.  Also fibroids.  I was wondering if lipomas and AN were related in some way, and remember seeing something about it somewhere--wish I could remember where it was.
Right side AN 2.8 x 1.8  SSD
Diagnosed 2003-Watch & wait until 3/09
Looks like it's gonna be translab