Author Topic: What does sticky mean?  (Read 9443 times)

alwaysthere

What does sticky mean?
« on: April 11, 2009, 04:15:01 am »
I've read several posts where poeple have mentioned that their tumors where sticky?
What does that mean?     

Patty 
Diagnosed 1/09 1.6cm left side
5/09 2cm
hearing & balance problems
Surgery Date June 25, 2009 St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester, Mn
Surgery went great, can still hear!!!!

"This too shall come to pass and life will go on"

jazzfunkanne

Re: What does sticky mean?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 05:51:41 am »
hi patty am not sure, but i remember my consultant said my AN was surrounded by fluid and it could become sticky to try and remove it, did anyone else have a AN coved in fluid??
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 07:26:36 am »
The sticky tumors stick to the nerve and are harder to get off.        Most slip off the nerve so are take less time to remove.     I have read once what makes them sticky but can't remember at the moment.     Someone else may know.     My first one was sticky so my surgery was 8 hrs.            My one a year ago was not and was closer to a 6 hr surgery.
                                             Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 11:41:59 am »
I believe that a tumor with a cystic center tends to be "sticky".  According to my surgical report, mine was "very sticky" (apparently a highly technical medical term  :D).  It really means that it is a bit harder to get out, not much else.  I don't think it is really an issue in the hands of experienced surgeons.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 02:12:13 pm »
It really means that it is a bit harder to get out, not much else.  I don't think it is really an issue in the hands of experienced surgeons.

ANs are surgically removed layer by layer - kind of peeled off the facial and hearing nerves - and Debbi is correct, sticky ones are harder to remove.  Removal of sticky tumors can also take longer than removal of tumors that aren't sticky.

Sometimes a surgeon - even the most experienced one - will decide to leave a piece of a sticky AN behind rather than risk permanent damage to the facial nerve.  The remaining part can then be treated with radiation in order to "kill" it if the surgeon feels it's necessary.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 02:56:04 pm »
They told my family 13 years ago that mine was "very sticky" - guess that has always been the high-faluting medical term!! ;)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

LADavid

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 08:57:45 pm »
My AN, Cartman, was described as sticky.  A year and a half later, I'm still dealing with the sticky situation.  Sticky isn't a good thing.  Patty, if you're pre-op and someone has suggested a sticky AN, you may want to suggest to your surgical team that if you're dealing with a sticky, you may want to get most of the AN and zap the rest with radiology later.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 09:27:13 pm »
I have read once what makes them sticky but can't remember at the moment.

I think it was fat. I seem to remember reading here that a fatty tumor is stickier, though I don't know which post. Also that lipomas, a rarer tumor that is mostly fat, are extra sticky.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Tamara

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 06:37:47 am »
Steve is right.  I had what turned out to be a lipoma (fat cell tumor) which was very sticky.  Usually the tumors peel off, but mine had to be cut off with a scissors.  There may be other reasons that a tumor is sticky, but I know for sure that this is one of them.  And yes, you would rather not have a sticky one.

I didn't know it was sticky before surgery.  I did, however, tell the surgeon that if he got in there and found, say, the tumor wound around the facial nerve and even thought there might be an issue there, that I'd prefer he just close it up, and I'd get radiation instead.

He did seem to get all the tumor, though, and I had some facial issues, but they have resolved significantly and continue to do so.

Best Wishes
Tamara
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 11:50:41 am by Tamara »
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

cindyj

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 08:19:44 am »
Mine was very sticky as well, but he got it all - temp facial weakness, but 95% back to normal...or at least, how it was pre-op!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 08:54:12 am »
Cartman  ???

That was the name of your AN, David?  Can you explain that please?

I didn't name my AN - didn't want to become that  attached  ;) - but I love hearing what others name theirs.

Sorry for the hijack; my curiosity got the best of me  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways