Author Topic: If I have AN, is it highly possible my other ear will also get AN?  (Read 1458 times)

an0806

I have AN in my right ear and went through CyberKnife successfully 18 months ago. So far so good.

Recently, I am feeling a bit of hearing loss and 'ringing in the ear' in my left ear, as well as some pain in the left area of my face. The skin also somehow feels more sensitive.

Does it mean that I will get AN in the left ear more likely just because I have/had  AN in my right ear?

Thanks.

Boppie

Re: If I have AN, is it highly possible my other ear will also get AN?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 08:13:21 pm »
The probability of having a second AN on the other side is very very small.  You might be experiencing some hearing loss that is a natural decline of hearing on the good side.  Also, tinnitus occurs in many folks who don't even have an AN.  The sensitivity in your face might be related to your treatment 18 months ago.  Your doctor should be able to address your concerns. 

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 01:02:09 pm »
Definitely talk to your doctor/s, and if concerned, request that they order an MRI for you.  Better not to worry.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

an0806

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 04:58:37 pm »
Thanks, Boppie and Debbie.

I have scheduled an MRI early next month. Fingers crossed.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 05:41:22 am »
Hi an.... I can share this... post-CK on my left AN, I began to have intermittent/enhanced tinnitus in my right ear, which did throw me off.....I've noted it to my audiologist as well as CK team (and primary care dr)......  We know that having bilateral AN's (NF2) is a genetic condition and we know the only true way to determine if something is there is by MRI.  Like you, I have had "phantom" face pain and in my case, far and few between... but my MRI's have been clean from another AN.

If another MRI is booked, pls keep us updated... I have a feeling that you are just experiencing some of those "twings and pangs" post radio and my hope is that all is well.... hang tough.... I'm cheering you on.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"