Author Topic: Dent in my head  (Read 17548 times)

epodjn

Re: Dent in my head
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 11:43:30 am »
Yup, I have a two inch dent also. I had translab  with fat and titanium mesh. It doesn't sound like it matters which way they patch you  up you have a chance of having a dent. No one warns you though and I think they should tell you there is at least a chance of it happening. If I didn't have all you to tell me it was normal I would have gone running to the doc for nothing. My dent also causes my problems with my glasses and has also changed the shape of my face. Not a lot, some people can't see it even when I point it out to them but my therapist sees and measures it at each appointment to make sure it doesn't get to the point where it will cause other problems. So far,, so good!!
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 02:34:41 pm »
I'll weigh in with two dents ..... one on each side, AN side deeper ..... done with no fat graft but titanium plate.  First side done 15 years ago ..... finally no longer tender.  Second side done 19 months ago, still quite tender to touch.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Tricia (horsekayak)

• Keenah and Tricia
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 04:16:23 pm »
I love it!  Every time I read these posts I find something new.  A dent in my head...now I can add "hole in my head" to the "I'm hearing transmissions from Mars" jokes...Dennis just read this post and asked me if I could use the dent to store spare change for the toll gate.  I think not..if there's that much room, I'll use it for a place to keep sugar cubes for the horses. 

But.. seriously, I am glad you asked about this...it gives me something else to be aware of when I talk to docs at Shands about surgery options and dates.
Tricia (horsekayak)-Diagnosed 8/10/09
1.5 cm right side AN
Gainesville, GA (near horses and Lake Lanier)
Linac radiosurgery at Shands Hospital/Univ of Florida  12/1/09  Go Gators!!!

"Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way"...BT Washington

Sue Vogel

• https://get.google.com/albumarchive/11576991862935
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 06:57:29 pm »
More than once in the past year I have referenced my own triumphs as "Not bad for someone over 55 with a giant hole in my skull."  Yes, I am dented, too.  I remember saying to my doctors before my surgery that I looked forward to decreasing the density of my skull with the addition of belly fat so that my head would float higher in water.  It would reduce my chances of drowning.  I think my dent has character.
3 cm left side
Translab. surgery 10/13/08
Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
SSD, adjusting to balance issues
BAHA surgery 1/29/10 Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson (dynamic duo)

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 07:18:41 pm »

Yep, I've got a dent, too!  And I can also accurately call myself a "numbskull," since the area is still w/out any feeling.  :D

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 08:31:36 pm »
ha ha....I've got a dent, too. Actually, 3 of them - on the top and both sides. My (grown) kids call it my trap door.

Cathy

PS - Sue - did you get my last email?
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 04:45:07 pm »
I didn't have the body fat deal, just titanium mesh, etc. but apparently, just about every AN surgery patient has a skull 'dent'.  I do - and it's substantial - but unnoticeable to others., so, I'm good.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

epc1970

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 04:56:25 pm »
I have the titanium mesh and yes....a dent. I always wondered why....nice to know this is not unusual!

Erin

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 06:16:38 pm »
I have a dent and I can also feel two screws. Yippeeee
Michelle  :o
I also have a natural dent at the crown of my head - most do in our family, we call it the 'candy dish' hehehe
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 06:19:15 pm by mimoore »
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 07:12:35 pm »
I have a huge dent but that is was falling head first down a ravine while hiking, can't wait to have more dents if I have surgery.  I always warn hairdressers because it is shocking, glad I have a good head of hair, must be worse for guys, sorry guys.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

lsterling

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 09:46:18 pm »
Hi Patty,

I have the same thing. It is behind my left ear and sometimes my glasses irritate that sensitive area or if I wear a headband. I am also careful about brushing and shampooing my hair too. Other than that, I forget that its there.

Lynn

tenai98

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2009, 06:24:19 am »
Ok guys, honestly I'm feeling left out...I have no notiicable dent at the surgery site...Awhile back, the ENT felt behind my ears and he couldnt find a dent either...I see him again next wednesday and will  see if he can find me a DENT in Ma Head...lol...other then the baha site!!!!lol
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

TP

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2009, 06:48:48 am »
I also have a little dent in my forehead. I have a small scar and from what I understand this is from the halo that was screwed into my head. Does anyone else have that little dent as well? The ones on my side of my head disappeared over time but the scar on my forehead you can tell since it is a different color. Just wondering....
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

lori67

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2009, 07:05:21 am »
TP,

I've got the forehead dent too!  And a small scar.  You know, that little thing was the only part that bothered me when I had the pressure bandage on in the hospital.  I have half my head cut open and that didn't bother me, but one little tiny boo boo made me crazy!

I honestly didn't notice the dent until you mentioned yours, but the scar shows up pretty well after I've been in the sun for a while.   :D
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

clr

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2009, 07:57:59 am »
Yes, my daughter has a big dent behind her ear also. It feels really weird to the touch back there. I had assumed it was normal.

Cindy
I do not have an AN, my 23 yo daughter does. Her username here is Bets.
4.6cm x 3.6cm x 4.4cm  UPMC Retrosigmoid 12/29/2009, 01/19/2009, 06/22/2009 
CK Oct 2009, Dr. Hirsch
SSD before & after surgery
After 3 surgeries, some facial paralysis, but will come back