Author Topic: Issues with speech  (Read 2496 times)

MKLady

Issues with speech
« on: April 16, 2009, 01:07:19 pm »
Do the lips ever start working normally?  I had complete paralysis for 6 months.  Since then I have the tone back around my eye and mouth. I do have synkenesis unfortunately.  I also can smile although it is not a big as before.  The cheek moves but not the mouth so when I say words that require me to "purse" my lips they pull to the good side.  I also can no longer completely close the mouth if the check muscle is tight so that also effects my speech.  I look and sound like I have had a stroke.  I have actually been asked that before.  I am 12 months post surgery and really greatful for any progress.  I know if could have been alot worse and is for many.  But this has me down. I think it is because Good Friday was exactly a year and I am worried that this is it.

Has anyone ever gotten their normal lip movement back after paralysis?   ???

Susan
Translab 4/10/2008; 1.3 cm; total facial paralysis left side.

CROOKEDSMILE

Re: Issues with speech
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 04:37:46 pm »
Susan,
What can help is Juvaderm injected to bottom part of the lip on the paralyzed side. The cosmetic surgeon that I just saw says she does this for her Bell's Palsy patients and she did it to me and I can now drink out of a glass without dribbles and I can say my p's, f's, etc. You might want to check into it. It gives it a lift and much needed support.
Angie

MKLady

Re: Issues with speech
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 09:42:58 am »
Thank you Angie. Stopping the dribble would be fantastic.  I recently poured coffee all down the front of my shirt while at a conference.  It went in one side and out the other.  I forgot and drank too much at once.   I will ask about that.  My next appointment is in June and I'll mention it then.  Maybe he will refer me to a cosmetic surgeon.

Susan
Translab 4/10/2008; 1.3 cm; total facial paralysis left side.