Author Topic: IPL laser harmful?  (Read 2619 times)

Jaki

IPL laser harmful?
« on: February 18, 2009, 06:45:10 am »
Hi again,

Here I am with a question, a bit embarrased to ask, but such are the facts. I have had hormonal disorder (not sure if it could have anything to do with AN?) with the result of my face being hairy. I found that IPL (elos) laser treatment helped reduce hair (at least for about half a year). For five months since the operation I have been "shaving like a man", but now I am wondering would it do me bad if I went? The girl that does this said the method was non-invasive but she is a bit afraid to do it, because she didn't have a case like mine yet and is afraid of any possible complication. The thing is that the laser "burns" the hair when light energy turns into heat (simplified). Do you thing it could affect my facial muscles or nerves or worsen my paralysis?

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: IPL laser harmful?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 07:56:10 am »
Jaki -

I really don't know anything about the IPL laser or the procedure you are talking about, but it might be an idea to check with the doctor who did your AN surgery.  I would imagine he (or she) could tell you if the laser would be harmful or not.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jaki

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 12:19:27 pm »
Thanks Jan. I guess it would be the best idea, but I am too shy to imagine myself going to the doctor and saying: 'Thanks for saving my life. And now I have this issue ...' Because compared to other stuff it really is nothing. Just a bit of annoyance. You know, when men go for about three days without a razor, what they get is a charming beard, well I couldn't say that for myself. ::) Anyway, I will find a way to it, I just thought perhaps someone knew anything about it.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 09:36:44 am »
Jaki -

although you might feel awkward discussing this, trust me there aren't many medical questions/issues that will phase a doctor.  Even those who specialize in treating ANs went through extensive education in all things medical and IMO if a doctor can get through all the training and still become a doctor there isn't much that will make him/her blush  :-[

It might be an option to email or call your doctor if you find it's just too uncomfortable for you to pose your question in person.

Just a suggestion,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jaki

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 01:56:13 pm »
Thank you Jan. You are very kind. After some consideration I decided to go through the procedure but first I had a very small part done and waited for a day and as there was no reaction, also the rest. I would not have done it a couple of months ago, though, not to put any extra 'pressure' on the face.

I think it is more my feeling that having learnt to walk again and preserved an ear, any 'cosmetic' procedures are in a way vanity, but then again, I am just trying to get back to 'normal' as much as I can.

So just letting you know I am through and as far as I am concerned you can close the topic (it really was unconventional) and thank you again for the replies.

Jaki

lori67

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 11:14:05 am »
Jaki,

There is nothing wrong with wanting to be back to your old self.  Of course we all care what we look like - especially our faces - you can't exactly hide them like you could if you had a scar on your arm or somewhere else on your body.  I'm sure your doctor wouldn't think you were being vain or petty.    I think he'd understand that you want to look and feel like yourself again!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.