Author Topic: 10th Cranial Nerve  (Read 5840 times)

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
10th Cranial Nerve
« on: May 07, 2010, 11:52:36 am »
I am sorry I have not been on this for a few months having alot of medical issues with my daughter and myself... But my main question I would like to present to this informative forum is to see if anyone else has heard of this.  I have been diagnosed with several things but the one I am concerned with is Gastroparesis/sluggish stomach and in my researching this I have read it can be caused by a neurological issue and it is the Vagus nerve that can cause this. So I was wondering in surgery if they are stimulating the 9th & 10th nerve while removing the tumor on the 8th cranial nerve could be the reason for my diagnosis which explains how I have felt since the surgery. I have to follow-up with the doctor in a few weeks but I need to take care of a couple of other issues before then. I would appreciate it if anyone else has faced this problem ??

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

lori67

Re: 10th Cranial Nerve
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 02:35:25 pm »
Hi Pat.

I know from my operative report that my AN was up against my 10th Cranial Nerve, but fortunately, it didn't seem to be bothered by it.  I would imagine if yours needed to be manipulated at all to get your AN out, it could be negatively affected.  That would be a good question to ask your surgeon, since he should know what nerves may have been nearby.  Or if you have your operative report, you may be able to find out from that.

Hope you and your daughter are doing well!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 05:17:59 pm »
Hi Pat.

I know from my operative report that my AN was up against my 10th Cranial Nerve, but fortunately, it didn't seem to be bothered by it.  I would imagine if yours needed to be manipulated at all to get your AN out, it could be negatively affected.  That would be a good question to ask your surgeon, since he should know what nerves may have been nearby.  Or if you have your operative report, you may be able to find out from that.

Hope you and your daughter are doing well!

Lori

Lori, Thank you, my daughter is diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus thank goodness the cells are not active she just has to be careful and keep up with the medication. I called the surgeon and they want to test me but I have to wait until I go for other things but one report states they were stimulating those nerves and another report left out the 10th nerve, all the other nerves were listed but that one makes you wonder why??

Best Wishes,

Pat
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 07:26:19 am by pjb »

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 11:47:24 pm »
I have been diagnosed with several things but the one I am concerned with is Gastroparesis/sluggish stomach

Pat,

My brain stem was involved with my XL tumor and was pushed over to a letter "s' shape. Consquently I was having sleep and bowel issues. (Gone since the tumor was removed and swelling went down)

This is the brain stem's function
http://biology.about.com/library/organs/brain/blbrainstem.htam

Was you brain stem involved with your tumor?

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 05:51:56 am »
I used to have a co worker who had the gastroparesis.    She was a diabetic.     I also heard of a occ pt with it when I was working.
There is the possibility that it is not AN related.
                                                                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 07:35:00 am »
cheryl thank you for your reply I believe I read somewhere it can be neurological if it was injured but lately whatever I read I keep forgetting I cannot blame that all on the AN alot has to do with getting older.....

Best Wishes,

Pat

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 07:47:27 am »
DHM, That is a good question I am not sure ?  The surgeon's just stated that the tumor was successfully removed after my one month check up I was still not feeling right and I could not think of what type of  questions to ask and they were also very blunt when I did ask something about the hearing so I just left. In reading the reports of course mostly clinical but I do have to reread it again but my tumor was small 1 cm. so I do not believe it was touching the brain stem. The only thing that I stated before was that they were stimulated the other nerves during the surgery which is documented. I guess what I just want now is validation as to why I am still not feeling right from my head down but it does explain why I have trouble swallowing and the food feels like it is getting stuck at times really bad. I just have to learn to eat small meals and except there goes the days with the Buffet restaurants. I always have to try to find humor but lately even that is getting more difficult..

Best Wishes,

Pat

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 07:53:27 am »
I have been diagnosed with several things but the one I am concerned with is Gastroparesis/sluggish stomach

Pat,

My brain stem was involved with my XL tumor and was pushed over to a letter "s' shape. Consquently I was having sleep and bowel issues. (Gone since the tumor was removed and swelling went down)

This is the brain stem's function
http://biology.about.com/library/organs/brain/blbrainstem.htam

Was you brain stem involved with your tumor?

DHM

Thank you for that link