Author Topic: post gamma knife cyst growth.  (Read 2527 times)

plugger147

post gamma knife cyst growth.
« on: May 23, 2011, 05:27:00 pm »
Hiya all,  been to see my consultant today for my mri results I am 3 years post gamma knife surgery for a 2.5cm left sided an. The tumour itself hasn't grown since the gk but the cyst which is attached to the tumour has grown a couple of mm's since the last scan 12 months ago, I have had some facial numbness and feeling off a blocked up left ear a lot more recently and had a feeling something was going to be found.

The consultant has advised that I wait another 12 months and have another mri to see what happens but the possibility of surgery to drain the cyst is there, has any of the posters here had a similar situation and had the cyst shrink on it's own rather than had it drained which the consultant suggested may happen as I don't fancy waiting a year only to have to have it drained anyway.

Thanks in advance, Jamie...

plugger147

Re: post gamma knife cyst growth.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 08:41:47 pm »
Has nobody had a cost grow post gamma knife....

Anasazi42

• "Per aspera, ad astra"
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 09:44:57 pm »
Hi Jamie,

Sorry about this latest news. I see that they found the cyst in May, have you had it drained or are you going to wait? I'm about 13 weeks post retrosigmoid and have not had a cyst, so I'm sorry I can't offer any help or advice. I hope you get an answer.
Diag. Dr. Saffran ENT 3-9-11; 45 yrs at time of diag. 3.5+ cm AN rt side; 9 hr retrosigmoid craniectomy 5-12-11 FL Hosp. South, Neurosurgeon Dr. Melvin Field; Gold wt implant
Post-op: facial para. (rt), double vision (cleared up), SSD, tinnitus, balance issues, ataxia, movement disorder

LisaM

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 10:31:26 pm »
I tried acupuncture to shrink the AN found in my head because the acupuncturist had successfully shrunken a cyst in the inner ear of another patient.  The cyst patient was headed to surgery to remove/drain the cyst (which was also infected) when the acupuncturist started working on it.  Apparently the acupuncture worked and this person avoided surgery.  So far acupuncture has not done anything to diminish the size of the AN in my head, but the AN has not grown either. 

Hope this helps.

Best,
Lisa M
Wait & Watch
1st Symptom Temporary SHL 7/10 AN Diagnosed via MRI 4/14/11
AN Size 4/14/11 = 1.4cm x 1.8cm x 1.7cm
AN size 7/14/11 = Same - Stable, no growth
AN Size 2/01/12 = 1.3cm x 1.3cm x 1.6cm (5mm reduction)
AN Size 11/27/12 = less than a centimeter! (50% reduction! And I can still hear!)