Author Topic: Hearing Loss and numbness in cheek  (Read 22182 times)

ErikaRuth

Hearing Loss and numbness in cheek
« on: January 26, 2012, 10:03:50 pm »
I'm going in for my MRI tomorrow night, but I'm curious if you guys know of anything besides AN that can cause the numbness in my cheek as well as the hearing loss.

About three weeks ago, I got an outer ear infection, that moved to a middle ear infection and I had almost complete hearing loss in my left ear. My doctors gave me what seemed like massive amounts of antibiotics and prednisone. Most of my hearing returned, but the hearing test showed that I've still got mild hearing loss in the upper registers, and it is consistent with the type of hearing loss seen in AN. I've also been experiencing a bit of vertigo, and feeling like I'm "drunk" just a bit hazy on balance. Not horrible, just not normal.

The cheek numbness  has got me more worried, and just feels "off" It hit really bad while eating nachos the other night...

Basically, this has only been going on for three weeks. I don't know yet if I have an AN, but my hearing loss and numbness make me think?

Has anyone come through here with these symptoms and told, eh, its an infection and it will clear up?

Thanks in advance!

Erika

mindyandy

• Loving Life
Re: Hearing Loss and numbness in cheek
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 07:09:34 am »
I would go get your MRI just to check things out. Hearing loss and balance are signs of AN, however it could just be from your ear infection. The numbness in the cheek is concerning. Trigeminal nerve issues could be from AN but I am no doctor. I'm just speaking from my experience. I have trigeminal pain and numbness so I can relate to the numbness.
I am no doctor. Just let us know what the MRI says. Try to relax (easier said than done)...having an AN is not commom.

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 08:30:06 am »
Hi Erika and welcome to this forum .....

I second everything Mindy said.  Getting an MRI with contrast is the best way to have a definitive diagnosis of an MRI.  Although we hope and pray it is just from the infection, you need to be certain.

If you have not already done so, insist on an MRI with contrast.

Many thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

ErikaRuth

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 08:49:56 am »
Yes, I'm feeling better from your two responses.

I am really hoping it is an ear infection that just went haywire and decided to go deeper and deeper. The steroids (or time?) have helped tremendously.

(I've had problems with my left Eustachian tube clogging for about 6 months, I had a lot of problems this summer with it as well, so it is good I'm getting the MRI). 

The feeling that a jelly bean is stuffed in my ear has gone. (yeah!) Most of my hearing has returned, not enough to keep the doctors from shooting steroids into my ear drum, but enough that I'm comfortable with this level of hearing). (The hearing loss was so sudden and so profound, that it really was scary, and took some getting used to).

My ringing isn't too bad, my facial numbness I notice, but I can adapt. The shooting pains are only occasional, and brief, along with the vertigo and feeling drunk, which hasn't happened in a few days!)

Yes, the most likely explanation really is ear infection gone deep, and it is just taking a longer time for the nerves to heal.

Obviously, there was some sort of pressure/swelling/inflammatory response exactly where an AN would be. Now, I'll just keep my fingers crossed that the MRI comes out clean, and I'll come back telling you all that yes, just a nasty ear infection... :)

Before last night, the 3,000 newly diagnosed a year made me feel safe, then I realized with the hearing loss pattern like mine, it is 5%, then with the facial numbness...... Regardless, I'm being well taken care of, I'm getting my MRI tonight, and I'll call to confirm it is with contrast, and I'll know more next week. Going in for my last steroid injection into my ear, and a referral to either neurology or neuro surgery depending on what the MRI finds.

ErikaRuth

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 06:07:57 pm »
MRI came out clean for AN, but saw some other things. I'll be going in to the Neurologist in the morning. When I find out the cause of my symptoms, I will come back and post, as I don't want to leave you hanging. (for future searchers).

Thank you!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 07:32:56 am »
Erika .....

So glad the MRI revealed no AN, but hope you have answers and satisfactory treatment for what was determined to be the cause of your symptoms.  Please do let us know so that others will have the benefit of your experience.

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

ErikaRuth

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 05:38:37 pm »
Shingles was decided by the Neurologist, and the ENT PA was thinking shingles as well, but didn't want to say that it was shingles without the rash, however, it can present without the rash.

So, that's where we're at.

If anything changes, I'll update again, but for now, Shingles it is.