Author Topic: Blood Test  (Read 3554 times)

Vivian B.

Blood Test
« on: August 26, 2009, 03:22:44 pm »
Hi Everybody,

I called my Neurosurgeon's secretary to confirm my MRI on Sep 17/09 and she told me that prior to the MRI since it is with contrast, I require blood work. When I had mine done in Buffalo, I wasn't asked for any blood work. The requisition forms says "biochemistry random and Creatinine(eFGR) is checked off.

Questions: Did anybody require a blood test prior to their MRI, and if so, what are they checiking for?

Thanks.
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Cheryl R

Re: Blood Test
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 03:53:38 pm »
Hi Vivian,       They are checking for kidney function as over time they have learned the contrast can affect some people with kidney disease.        So that is being checked on most people now before the MRI.                An elevated BUN and creatinine can be a sign of a possible problem.         I am now 8 yrs of having MRIs with no problem with it so don't get worried over it.     
Several radiology tests  have to have various lab tests in a certain range so this is just one more thing being watched for.
                                                      Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Vivian B.

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 04:06:56 pm »
Hi Cheryl

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I knew I could count on the forum. I was about to call the Dr. tomorrow but I didn't want to sound paranoid.

Viivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 10:01:41 pm »
Cheryl R is correct - blood work (BUN and creatinine) is fast becoming the standard when having an MRI with gadolinium contrast.  Docs - and hospitals - are becoming much more proactive on making sure patients don't have kidney problems.

I never had blood work done for my diagnostic MRI (4/07), but it's been a requirement for both of my annual post op MRIs.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Vivian B.

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 01:21:05 pm »
Hi Jan,

Thanks for replying. I had no idea that this was a process. Anyway I guess it's better that they check rather than finding out later that there is a problem with kidney function.

Vivian

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 08:02:12 pm »
Yes, I am going for my third MRI and each time they want blood work.  The blood work is verification that your kidneys are working properly.

TJ

Vivian B.

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 08:36:16 am »
Hi Tj

Thanks for replying. I had mine done today.