Author Topic: Insurance Help  (Read 2245 times)

okiesandy

Insurance Help
« on: September 20, 2005, 06:16:17 am »
Can someone help me with information?  I am scheduled to have surgery at House Clinic and my insurance has denied my request to go out of network. When I first started my AN journey I came across a letter that come from either Dr. Brackmann or someone else at House Ear directed toward the insurance co.  It explained the advantages of having House do the AN surgery and the lessened chance of side affects during and post surgery.  I have looked all over the internet for this letter. I need to find that letter or something close to it to submit to my insurance co. Or recent documented proof theat it is an advantage to go to an expert.

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
Re: Insurance Help
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 07:31:55 am »
I'm not sure if these are the letters...but if you join this Yahoo group:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Acoustic_Neuroma_Awareness/

They have letters in their "files" list that show (minus personal info..like SS#, etc..), how poeple in the group filed appeals, out of netwrok requests,  etc with insurance companies...

GM
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

JHager

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 09:12:26 am »
Hi Sandy,

Our insurance denied our "out-of-network" claim when my wife and I brought our son to the Barrow Neurological Institue for his epilepsy.  Our solution was actually pretty simple: we said, in essence, "Fine.  If you want us to stay in-network, kindly lead us to an in-network doctor who can properly diagnose our son."  We'd already exhausted the in-network options, but the committee that approves/disapproves out-of-network cases wasn't aware.  They eventually approved the out-of-network visit.  We still paid more than had we been in network, but at least we weren't stuck with the entire bill.

You may want to do a little research.  Does your insurance have someone in-network who even does this kind of surgery?  (Here in Las Vegas, we have only two - and one of them hasn't done enough AN surgeries for my liking.)  If there is someone in-network, how qualified are they?  Even insurance companies should acknowledge that they would want a qualified doc working on you, if for nothing else than to limit their after-care costs.

If you still find yourself being stonewalled, then I would suggest contacting an attorney who does this kind of work.  Even after they approved us for out-of-network, they hemmed and hawed about their definition of 'reasonable and ordinary' billing.  We were being asked to pay almost $14,000 more than was originally calculated.  However, another appeal letter, which now included the phrase 'at the advise of council', cleared that discrepancy up rather quickly.  Not that you want to threaten, but it helps to have someone knowledgable about the law on your side.  It was absolutely worth the $1000 we paid the attorney.

Finally, my last advice is this: remain calm, and be as pleasant as possible.  To the insurance company (despite all the advertising to the contrary) you are simply a number.  And, at the moment, you look like and EXPENSIVE number.  Talking to the insurance company in an informed, polite manner will go a long, long way.  (I used to be a customer service manager - it's hard to reason with someone who enters the conversation in a hostile manner.)

Good luck, and please keep us posted!

Josh

P.S. - I've read that House is very willing to work with insurance companies.  Is there someone at HEI that would be willing to call your insurance company?  A phone call (or fax) from the doctor would be very helpful!
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

okiesandy

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 04:12:17 pm »
Carman with Dr. Brackmann's office did call our insurance provider. They said they would/maybe pay out of network. Wouldn't even know how much they would pay the hospital until after surgery. If there should be complications they would not pay for the extra expense. Just think what that could run into. Our business and personal property are all tied into one. Not only lose personal property, also livelyhood.

Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)