Author Topic: Medical ID card or bracelet  (Read 4049 times)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Medical ID card or bracelet
« on: September 09, 2008, 09:01:36 am »
I was talking with my sister about my niece who is recovering from Lumierre's Syndrome and is on blood thinners for the next three months. The topic of medical ID cards and bracelets came up, since being on blood thinners would affect treatment for my niece in an emergency situation. My sister asked me if I carry a card or wear a bracelet about my facial weakness because emergency personnel might mistake it for a stroke. I must confess that I had not even thought about that. I am going to put a small Post-it on my driver's license noting facial nerve damage.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Medical ID card or bracelet
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 09:39:13 am »
I am going to put a small Post-it on my driver's license noting facial nerve damage.
Sara

Excellent idea!  I don't have facial paralysis but can understand why alerting an ENT, doctor or other medical professional (or just a 'Good Samaritan') to your facial paralysis - or any other critical information - in case of an accident, is a very wise plan.  Thanks for the suggestion!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lori67

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 11:44:48 am »
Sara,

I can tell you from experience (I was an EMT for 11 years), that emergency personnel are not going to look at your driver's license.  If you're unable to speak for yourself during an emergency, they're only going to be worried about you breathing, and/or bleeding profusely.  Facial paralysis wouldn't really change the way they treat you in an emergency, and chances are, if you're unable to speak for yourself, you're probably unconscious and your facial paralysis won't even be noticable.

Once you get to the hospital, they may look at your license if they need to know your name (or, sadly, to see if you're an organ donor, but if that's the case, I don't think they'll care about your face), but they are still required to run the same series of tests that would not be affected by your paralysis.

Ideally, emergency personnel should know if a person is on blood thinners though,  because you wouldn't want them to keep poking her with needles and it would be helpful to know why she might be bleeding more than would be expected from what might be a small cut.  But if she happens to be bleeding a lot, they're going to treat it the same way they would if she wasn't on blood thinners.

I carry a card in my wallet with all of my medical history and current medications and the name of my doctor, just in case.  My husband also carries one for me, because I know if they asked him in an emergency what my medical history was, he'd probably forget.  I don't expect that any emergency workers will pull it out of there, but my family knows it's there if they need it.  It's also helpful when I need to tell it to a new doctor or something, as I can't always remember all of it either.  ???

But, all of that being said, if it's something that makes you and your family feel more comfortable, then by all means - you should do it.  It's certainly not going to hurt.  Or, you could just try to avoid being in an emergency in the first place.  That's a much safer option!   ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 11:58:25 am »
lori,

terrific insight/explanations! I had no clue about some of the things you mentioned and I like the idea of giving my bloke my list that I carry ... just in case.  thanks for sharing this! Great info to have.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 12:09:28 pm »
Hi Lori,

What a good idea!  I would never have thought of it but I'm going to to make up card for my wallet and one for Louie's.  You never know right?

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

lori67

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 12:53:58 pm »
Well, I didn't mention that I'm frequently lazy and don't feel like carrying my purse or wallet, in which case all the "important" stuff gets shoved into James' pockets so he can carry it!  He just loves when I do that!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 04:54:17 pm »
At times I hate carrying my purse because I get all the keys, cell phones, sun glasses and Louie's reading glasses.  It weighs me down.  I just want to be a free spirit!!

Anne Marie

P.S. Another little secret, than Louie has use his money or sign the credit card slip not me.  HAHAHAHA
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 10:46:28 pm »
At times I hate carrying my purse because I get all the keys, cell phones, sun glasses and Louie's reading glasses.  It weighs me down.  I just want to be a free spirit!!

Anne Marie

P.S. Another little secret, than Louie has use his money or sign the credit card slip not me.  HAHAHAHA

Anne Marie -

I just had to say that you have some of the best  ideas!  ;)

And Lori -

another great marketing idea has fallen into our laps.  We should make medical cards for AN patients.  8)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways