Author Topic: My incision is bleeding  (Read 7695 times)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: My incision is bleeding
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 01:39:08 pm »
Hi Wendy, I'm glad the bleeding has stopped, and I think you are right to keep your surgeon informed. I hope I didn't come across as a know-it-all and I apologize if I did. My neurosurgeon told me to be on the lookout for a CSF leak and when I asked him how I would know, he said Phil (my husband) would know because a watery fluid would be leaking from my incision site. About the ten-day mark I woke up and touched the back of my head, and felt a watery fluid. It was mostly clear, with what looked like little blood clots in it (orangey-red). I e-mailed my neurosurgeon right away, but also went in to see my family doctor because I was due to have the sutures removed anyway. She put my mind at ease, but decided to leave the stitches in for a few extra days. So I e-mailed Dr. Casey again and told him it was a false alarm. Of course if he had told me about serous fluid to begin with, I would not have been so alarmed but, oh well.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

wendysig

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 10:15:38 pm »
Hi all,
Thanks for the vote of confidence and support.  Sometimes I feel like things have been going so well for me and some of you have such major problems I feel like a wimp for complaining about anything.  Thankfully, no more bleeding altough I am leaking serous fluid again, but not much.  Physical  therapy went well today -- although my PT seems to enjoy his ability to make me nervous he is not the  physical terrorist I feared he might be so all is well or as well as it can be.

Sara - I didn't think you were being a know-it-all.  We are all here to help and support each other and when I read your message, regarding serous fluid I felt it was meant to be helpful, not know-it-all in any way.

Thanks again,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

sgerrard

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 12:29:53 am »
The road to recovery apparently cannot help winding around a few bends for everyone, but I can handle that.

It just wouldn't be a real AN if it was any other way. At least you won't feel left out.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

wendysig

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 07:27:07 am »
Hi Steve -
You quoted me!  I guess you're right about what you said though, it just wouldn't seem like an AN without some kind of post-op challenge.  Since I've had so few complications, this leaky head/bleeding thing being the biggest, it took me by surpirse.  My incision seemed to leak quite a bit overnight but was dry by this morning.  I guess this mihgt be a sporadic problem for while.

Hi Debbi-
I remember when you were having problems with your incision before and after it was actually infected and the e-mails and you sending pictures to the doctor.   That was really a good idea since you are so far from NYC.  I am hoping I don't actually have to see Dr. Choe, but of course, if I have to I will.   Probably like anyone one else would, I'm hoping this will stop on its own.  I am keeping a close eye on it though.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 07:54:47 am »
Hi Wendy,
Don't feel guilty, it's a waste of energy.  We all have some issues to deal with, and even if you do come through this unscathed, brain surgery is no picnic!  You do get to complain here (haven't I done my share?) and whine (again, haven't I?). In the end it helps those who are watching so that they understand the range of post-op issues.
Hope you stay high and dry. 
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.