Author Topic: Trouble typing  (Read 8585 times)

wendysig

Trouble typing
« on: June 06, 2008, 09:29:49 am »
HI everyone,

Is it jsut me or do some of you have trouble typing.  I was an executive  secretary for over 20 years and never had a problem before.  At first, I just thought I was rusty since I'm not working as a secretary anymore and until recently, and by that, I mean the last couple of months, I don't send many e-mails that require a llot of typing.  Now I find myself typing letters out of sequence with a fair amount of regularity.  I admit that some of my typos are just that, typos but I don't think they all are.  I was talking to a friend las night and she said this is common after AN surgery or brain surgery  (is it?) but I haven't had surgery yet.  Is my brain already fried even before surgery?  If so, will I just be a quivering mass of typo-prone jello after surgery?   Speaking of jello, that sounds like a good idea for dessert.  Talking to you people always inspires me.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lori67

Re: Trouble typing
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 09:43:11 am »
Wendy,

As you can clearly see from my posts, I have a lot of typos in there too - and sometimes even words that appear for no reason...  I definitely think it's gotten worse since my surgery (I used to be a secretary - albeit not a really good one - for a brief time).  I guess I can blame some of it on the surgery, some of it on the fatigue, some of it on the usual distractions around me (kids, dogs, phones), and a lot of it on the fact that I'm probably thinking what I want to type much faster than I can type it.  I don't worry too much - I know everyone here understands.

I'm sure you are just distracted and probably have a million things running through your head right now to be too worried about typos.  Who knows, maybe you'll be an even better typist after your surgery!  And if not, we still know what you mean and we're very forgiving!  In the mean time, just remember - "Dyslexics - UNTIE!". (no offense intended to any dyslexics..)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 10:02:26 am »
Hi Lori -
Thanks for your reply.  I see what you mean about dyslexics.  I checked  my post for spelling and typos (quickly anyway) and totally missed them until I read your post and glanced again at mine.  I'm glad you all are a forgiving lot otherwise, I don't know what I'd do.

Debbi - I saw you on Pembo's post and I hope you stop here.  I was glad to see you and hope you are feeling well today.  I have to get going, but I'll check back with you later to see how your are.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 10:12:54 am »
I hear you both. My typing was always poor but now even my proof reading misses a lot of the mistakes. I am glad people are not judging this. I do feel it is progressively worse in recent years. Since I had CK Monday - that time is definitely pre-treatment :)

I also have had shaky hands. I have asked and it isn't supposed to be related to these brainboogers. Anyone else had that?

Mary
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 12:47:03 pm »
I don't have trouble typing, been doing it at a rapid speed since 2nd year of high school (and let's not forget, I'm no spring chicken) but I do preview everything I type religiously before I post it.  Control-freak/overachiever tendencies, I know  ::)

Since my surgery I have noticed that I consistently type the word "doing" when I meant to type "going" and "what" when I mean to type "that" and vice versa.  My mind also runs ahead of my fingers.  I think I've typed entire words and then find during my review that I actually haven't.

Don't really know what that's all about  ???

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 01:18:03 pm »
I'm sure AN surgery has some effect on typing.

I was hitting a lot of wrong keys for some time following my surgery but, like Jan, I proof-read everything before I hit the 'post'  button.  I also have an automatic spell-checker operating at all times, which helps - a lot.  For me, avoiding typos is more about a sense of order and neatness than anything else.  I hate to be sloppy.  Still, I never judge any post on how' perfect' it is.  That would be shallow and making posting more of a contest (mine is neater than yours!) than a simple way to communicate with other AN patients, which is the real goal of the site and these forums.  Besides, the vast majority of messages posted are fairly well written and typo free, so clarity is almost never an issue.

Keep it up folks - and don't sweat the typos.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sammict

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 02:43:39 pm »
Hi Wendy

I haven't had  surgery yet but I have been finding it hard to type. For me its looking down at the key board i get dissiness and it effects me focusing on the keys. I am deffintly typing alot slower and having to proof my work.

Lately I find myself forgetting names and phone numbers.

I try not to worry about it I keep telling myself I have a good excuse.

Sam

wendysig

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 06:24:58 pm »
Sam,

You do have a good excuse.  I don't have any problem with phone numbers, but I do occasionally search for a word and just can't find what I'm trying to say.  I've noticed it is happening more frequently lately.  Since my doc feels that my AN has grown, I wonder if that has anything to do with it.  Good question for the doc! Don't let this worry you too much as I'm sure this too will pass.   Thanks for your reply.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 06:47:39 pm »
Jim -
I do check my messages before I post them but sometimes I just miss the mistakes.  This is something I probably would not have done with any regularity before having my AN.  As I said in an earlier post, I was an exective secretary for over 20 years before I kind of retired to have my kids. ( Sometimes I feel like I'm living my life in reverse.)  Now  that one is a teenager and the other is a tween was just starting to look for a job when I discovered my AN.  All things considered, this is on hold for now.  I feel I have enough to deal with and it would certainly be unfair to a prospective employer to accept a job right now.  Anyway, your probably right on both counts -- your posts are neater than mine but typos don't count as long as the posts are coherent.

Thanks,
Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Nicole222

• Nicole, Mommy to Jordan
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 07:07:37 pm »
I began having trouble typing well before my surgery and before finding out about the AN.  I also attributed it to "being out of practice". I was in an administrative position at a school, and before that I was a teacher.   I became a stay at home mom 2 years ago and always say that it has sucked the intelligence right out of me :D.  I now know that it had more to do with the AN.  After surgery (4 weeks ago today), I still notice the exact same diffficulty--no better, no worse.  I guess I'm just used to it now--but it is frustrating. 

By the way, during this post alone, I probably corrected myself 15 times   :-[   Oh, well--I still got the message out ;)
Had surgery (retrosigmoid) May 9th, 2008 to remove a 3.5cm AN from left side.
Home one week later, no facial nerve damage. 
SSD -Left ear.
Thankful daily for fantastic surgeons and wonderful family and friends.
34 years old.  Married mommy to Jordan, 23 months.

lori67

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 07:24:37 pm »
Nicole, I've been a stay at home mom for 5 years now.  Trust me - it does suck the intelliigence right out - and those of us who have extra holes in our skulls are more likely to lose that intelligence faster - just flows right outta there for me!

But, I'll bet there aren't many women in corporate America that can name all of the Muppets, sing the theme song for Dora the Explorer and dance right along with the Wiggles!  I've got 'em beat there!!   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Nicole222

• Nicole, Mommy to Jordan
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 07:29:31 pm »
Hmmm.  We better go update our resumes--those skills will no doubt get us the positions we want when we're ready to go back :P
Had surgery (retrosigmoid) May 9th, 2008 to remove a 3.5cm AN from left side.
Home one week later, no facial nerve damage. 
SSD -Left ear.
Thankful daily for fantastic surgeons and wonderful family and friends.
34 years old.  Married mommy to Jordan, 23 months.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 04:20:34 pm »
Lori:

I understand that being a stay-at-home mom can be exasperating at times because I know more than a few mom's doing it and they have the same complaint, which is perfectly understandable.  Allow me to offer another perspective.

My wife and I only had one child (we knew our limitations) but he was raised exclusively by us...no day care  We couldn't have afforded it even if we wanted to go that route - which we didn't.  We managed this feat by her working a corporate day job (7 AM to 3:30 PM) and I worked nights as a radio broadcaster.  Between us, we made a decent living.  I had our son (Christopher) in the daytime, she took over when I left for work at 5:30 PM.  I still recall watching The Muppets, Danger Mouse, Inspector Gadget, Mr. Rogers Neighborhood and the other kiddie TV shows.  My wife basically taught our son his letters and numbers and went off to Kindergarten very well prepared...and did well all through his school years.  Although those days are long gone now, my wife and I had the pleasure of sharing our son's childhood and we still have a great parent-child relationship to this day.

I realize that having one child (and two involved parents) is a whole lot easier than raising two or three or more (with or without a live-in spouse) so I'm not trying to compare.  I just want to assure folks that, for the most part, the daily aggravations and frustrations of child-raising are quickly forgotten as they grow up.  I recall thinking that my boy was never going to able to do anything (like eating) without my supervision (he was 4 at the time).  Ha!  Before I knew it, he was a high school student, then a college student (working 3 part-time jobs to help pay his tuition) then, a college graduate and young adult.  Now, our son is pushing 30 , has a responsible job and a life of his own, although we retain a solid relationship based on mutual respect and admiration.   

My point is that while being a stay-at-home parent may seem to be - and is - mind-numbing at times, childhood passes quickly and they'll be grown and gone before you know it.  That may seem like a wonderful thought right now, but you'll be without them a lot longer than you'll have them and I would hate to see any parent waste those years feeling deprived of intellectual stimulation and, in effect, blaming her children for it.  I know you don't, Lori.  I recognize that you (and other AN moms) use motherhood as a source for humor (our own Erma Bombecks) but I wanted to use your post as a vehicle for reminding frazzled parents that they have a special gift (children) and even though the kids may seem more like a burden than a gift at times, they'll be gone and living lives apart from you before you know it.   Don't let the petty frustrations of child-rearing obscure the good things parenthood offers. 

End of sermon.  Amen. :)

Jim   
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 01:03:36 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 05:13:10 pm »
Jim~
Thanks once again for a well thought out and stated post.  I try very hard to ALWAYS remember that I won't have them very long in comparison to their life, but it was a very good reminder, none the less.  I already have been trying to figure out what I will do next year as ALL three girlies will be in school!!  YIKES!!

:o

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 05:54:55 pm »
Jim -

as K said, thanks for the very well written post.  It is wonderful that you were such an involved father while your son was growing up and have a good, solid relationship with him today.  I commend you for it.  My father worked all the time, but still managed to be there for us when he could and I consider him to be a great dad.   My mom was a stay at home mom and honestly, I don't know how she raised five kids and still kept her sanity  ;D  I only have two, and truth be told, there are many, many days when they run circles around me!

While I don't have it easy raising my children single-handed and working a full-time job to pay the bills, I don't think I could handle being at home with my children 24/7.  Some days my paying job is like a vacation compared to being a mom  ;)  I have the utmost respect for women (and men) who can and do choose to stay home and raise their children - and I find myself in awe of them.  IMO it is one of the most difficult - but most rewarding - jobs in the world.

You are right, lots of us do use motherhood as a source of humor.  I think I speak for everyone when I say we wouldn't trade our children for anything in this world.  We realize how truly blessed we are  :)

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways