Author Topic: calling all 12/7 nerve jumpers!!  (Read 2189 times)

lori67

calling all 12/7 nerve jumpers!!
« on: June 24, 2008, 10:14:11 am »
I'm considering having the 12/7 nerve jump done to "fix" my face.  I'm very much on the fence about this procedure, so if those of you who have had any experience with it could give me the good, the bad and the ugly...it would be really helpful.

A little background - I am 16 months post-translab.  I was told that nerve testing during surgery indicated the facial nerve was intact and "should" eventually start working, although it was quite stretched from the tumor.  I am able to close my eye most of the way when I want them to stay closed (like at bedtime), but cannot blink.  I have a slight droop in the corner of my mouth, and some minor synkinesis that I'm working on decreasing.

The doctor said he would have thought I'd have more movement at 12 months than I do, so suggested the nerve jump.  I think he could tell I was hesitant at that point, so we decided to re-visit the idea this summer.  Now it's "this summer" and I'm just as hesitant.

Do I wait patiently, as some people have had movement return on it's own past this point in their recovery?  Or do I do the nerve jump now?  My biggest concern is having to go back to square 1 and wait until the jump starts to work, and then what if when it does start to work, it's less than what I have now?  Ugh...decisions, decisions.

So, please tell me how you made your decision and how it's worked out for you.

Thanks all!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

TLC719

• Teresa L Childers
Re: calling all 12/7 nerve jumpers!!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 12:46:26 pm »
Lori,    it's been two years since my translab.my therapist tells me my facial nerve is fireing up!But it's a slow process,sometimes I get discouraged & have to take a patience pill.I thought about nerve jump surgery, I wonder if ins. would help?Not being able to smile good sux.I think It's going to take alittle time no matter what.Meantime let's take down the mirrors !Kidding   take care          Teresa
Atlanta Ga.AN 2006 right paralysis,balance issues,SS deaf,just happy to be here!