Author Topic: Difficulty controlling emotions with large A.N.?  (Read 4485 times)

Eturnit

• The joy of the LORD is my strength!
Difficulty controlling emotions with large A.N.?
« on: January 10, 2011, 01:05:23 pm »
I am now 1 1/2 years post craniotomy to remove the bulk of my acoustic neuroma.  FINALLY I am feeling more like myself, and indeed have much more peace in my life.  For the 2 years before my diagnosis of a large a.n., I had very erratic emotions, found myself not able to control what was coming out of my mouth, and lived always angry at myself for lack of control.  This was very abnormal for me and caused much havoc on my family and ability to maintain consistency in my personality.  I felt guilty all the time, for getting angry so easily but could not find the source.  Is it possible that the large acoustic neuroma could have produced enough pressure on the areas of my brain that control my emotions?  ???  I am not looking for justification for my lack of control, just answers.  I have reached a great place in my post-op healing and for the first time am only experiencing headaches 1 to 2 times a week, where previously they had been 5 - 9 times a week.  So I have truly been able to enjoy my new found peace and have had time to think about it and the huge difference I feel now. 
Please, ANYONE who can give input on this would be helpful!

Thank you for your time!   :)

Kaybo

Re: Difficulty controlling emotions with large A.N.?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 01:20:06 pm »
Hi Eturnit and WELCOME to the Forum!

While I can't say EXACTLY what caused your emotions, I will say that I think that anything is possible.  Since every one of these little boogers are different, you very well could have experienced something that caused your emotions and reactions to be in overdrive.  Goodness, just finding out that you have a brain tumor is really enough, isn't it??  :o

I am glad that things are better now for you and hope that your family has been understanding - they probably realized that this was not the "you" that they knew!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 03:40:59 pm »
Hi ~

I'm glad to learn that most of your post-op problems are dissipating.  I'm not a doctor but I'll venture the observation that the emotional issues you describe might have been caused by the stress and disappointment you had to deal with immediately following your operation.  Much of our emotional responses are generated from the frontal lobe of our brain, which is not really affected by an acoustic neuroma, although ANs can and do affect the brain stem, which, among other things, controls our central nervous system, so there could be a connection.   You'll probably never know for certain so I would simply enjoy your new-found tranquility and try to move forward, forgetting the past and concentrating on the future, which looks pretty good!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 04:29:46 pm »
Eturnit,

Welcome to the forum. I can't remember where it was, but I did in fact read about the possibility of large tumors causing behavioral changes. As I understand things, and I am not a doctor, such changes depend on location of the tumor and the amount of pressure on the brain.

Personally, I believe my tumor was responsible for a number of things about my personality that are now, thankfully, absent.

I would follow Jim's advice to the letter:

simply enjoy your new-found tranquility and try to move forward, forgetting the past and concentrating on the future, which looks pretty good! 

It is a good advice.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Mark241

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 12:33:24 pm »
Hello Eturnit, and welcome.

I really dint' know if the AN can cause behavioral changes physically, however I do know that dealing with this medical condition most certainly can. My wife has calls' me the worst patient. I have a hard time being waited on, and constantly fielding questions on my health. I was able to change a lot of that. However, I recently had a lumbar shunt surgery, and on the discharge/care paper work, one of the conditions to be aware of was emotional/behavior changes. I dint' know if this sheds any light on your situation, but you may wish to ask your physician.   
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w

MARAKI

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 08:13:19 am »
Hi!
Personally I believe that it is quite possible to face emotional problems or other simiral when you have an A.N. but every case is different!
I unfortunately faced the problems you described before the diagnosis and I destroyed some relationships in my life because of that! Now even I have facial paralysis I feel the peace!  Sometimes I wonder if is the tumer's removal or this strong experience which change my emotions and the way I react and feel now?
So I believe that only a research may give answres!

briansmome

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 09:45:39 am »
I had so much emotional upheaval in the year or so before my diagnosis that I thought I would truly go crazy. Felt much the same way for the first year or so after my surgery, but things are getting much better now. I hope you continue to gain more tranquility and am happy to hear that your physical symptoms seem to be improving as well.
4.2 cm cerebellopontine angle tumor; resected 6/09. About 20% remains; last MRI showed no subsequent growth :) Stroke during surgery; dealing with after effects of that but better every day!